Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 PM

582 posts, read 763,187 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I found an attic in Queens for $800 and it is included utilities. I have never lived in an attic before and I don't know what kind of questions I should ask the owner when I go to visit.

what are the things that I should be looking out for and asking about? what should I expect? does it get too hot or too cold? any molds or bedbugs problems? Any advice ?

The owner is kind of desperate to rent it out. I don't know what the problem is or maybe she just needs money.

is the price ok ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Hi guys,

I found an attic in Queens for $800 and it is included utilities. I have never lived in an attic before and I don't know what kind of questions I should ask the owner when I go to visit.

what are the things that I should be looking out for and asking about? what should I expect? does it get too hot or too cold? any molds or bedbugs problems? Any advice ?

The owner is kind of desperate to rent it out. I don't know what the problem is or maybe she just needs money.

is the price ok ?

Thanks
You should not live in an attic. Come on now...

Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,279 times
Does it have wifi? Well it is almost certainly illegal and does not meet basic building code standards. My biggest concern would be air conditioning, heat and insulation. Mold and bed bugs are too smart to live in an attic. I'd rather live in my car.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

is the price ok ?

Thanks
It's gonna be kind of tricky getting your furniture up those fold down stairs.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I would imagine the heat in the summer would be the worst issue. Have you seen photos?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 PM

OMG! you guys are so funny! why is it so bad to live in an attic? I should add that it has an A/C unit and a half bath. The lady told me that I'd be sharing the kitchen and the shower with her on the second floor. The owner of the house lives on the first floor. They rent the 2nd fl and attic out to that lady who is offering me the attic for rent. So I am not renting from the owner, I am renting from the renter. For sure, I'll let the owner know about this.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,279 times
Quote:
For sure, I'll let the owner know about this.
If I was the owner I would not want to formally know about you sleeping in the attic, I would not allow it if you told me about. Among other reasons, if the property caught fire and you died, I could be prosecuted for providing a bedroom without fire egress.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
If I was the owner I would not want to formally know about you sleeping in the attic, I would not allow it if you told me about. Among other reasons, if the property caught fire and you died, I could be prosecuted for providing a bedroom without fire egress.
Some attics do have full windows. If this one has an a/c, it might have a window. I'm not sure how different it is to live in an attic with a window vs. a bedroom on the 3rd floor of the home with a window. As far as fires go, I suppose the major difference is the height from which you'd have to jump if it ever came to that.

But I do see your point and you may be correct about how the owner might feel about it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post

but I don't want any problems with the owner in the future. I won't rent the place without their knowledge. you mentioned " other reasons" , what are they?
according to the lady, there is Wifi.

Here are the measurements:

6.3 Ft(H) 11.2(W) almost 32ft(L), with 1/2 bath.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 PM

There are two big windows that I see in the pics. There is another one in the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City