Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Every time I see New York City re-imagined as it used to be in the mid 1900's, via movies or photos, I see glamorous buildings and parks housing men and women of fashion, and streets that are very clean relative to today's standards. I picture a sort of "Golden Age" of classy urban living.

I live in New York now and every time I venture into the heart of the city, I see trash littered on the streets and street vendors. The farther I move from Manhattan, the worse it gets. Ghetto slums are found almost ubiquitously, with dirty people and thugs alike populating the filthy streets. There are signs of urban decay everywhere.

Does anyone here think that New York City, despite being more wealthy than it used to be, is nowhere near as glamorous as it used to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 06:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times
I guess it is kind of a good thing I stuck so much to the Upper West Side/Morningside Heights when I lived there then huh? LOL.

Actually, I lived on the very border of Harlem going into Morningside Heights (because I'm not rich), but anyway the streets were always very clean around those areas. I've been to all the boroughs though and know it is not like that everywhere.

I'm hoping to move back next year. Possibly to Staten Island. So wish me luck. If I don't have enough of it I'll probably move to one of the low crime towns in northern New Jersey instead.

Last edited by Japanfan1986; 10-12-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 PM

237 posts, read 482,751 times
Problem #1: you're comparing reality to photographs. I'm sure the pictures from modern NYC only show the clean streets, too.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Yeah, if it's a glamorous movie, I doubt they are going to put trash on their sets.

OP, you should check some of the photographers in different eras who portrayed things the way things really were and not how they would be seen in a movie or a magazine. Check out Jacob Riis' "How the other half lives." I know it's not from the time period you're asking about, but his project was meant to shed light on how people were living in NYC outside of the public eye. http://tjbogar.wordpress.com/2012/10...-street-arabs/

You could also look for photos of the Bowery in the 1950's. I'm sure those are not glamorous, as the area was also known as Skid Row.

One last point -- New York in the 1950's was in the midst of the post-war boom, which might account for some of the glamorous scenes you are seeing from around that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: