Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 18,442 times

Advertisements

Hello all. This is just a quick description of my experience with nyc apartment lotteries. I applied to many of them and was called back for an interview for Morris Court( log # under 150), Sugar Hill (high 6,000s), and West 150th street (high 5,000s). For the interview I had to bring in ss cards, paystubs and any other income sources, birth certificates, tax returns, w2's, employment letters, proof of address, and ID.

Morris Court:Applied around 1/2014, called for interview 7/2014. Was told if they wanted to move forward I would get a call or email within 30 days, if they didn't select me then i'd get a letter in the mail. Received an email to schedule to view the apartment, cancelled because I'd found an apartment on my own.

Sugar Hill: Applied late 2013. Never called in for an interview. Received a call in September 2014 that I appear to qualify for an apartment and to schedule an interview to bring in a paperwork. I never made the appt because I was apartment hunting and already signed a lease a few DAYS before the call.

West 150th: Applied 9/2014, Interview 2/2015. 2nd Interview/Confirmation 3/2015. Was told at this point the apartment is mine as long as HPD approves the application and doesn't find anything wrong. Signed rules and regulations of the building, acknowledgement of who will live with me, etc. Apartment should be ready July 1st and have 1st and last month's rent ready to go.

I will say when you go in for the interview you should be polite and honest. Don't lie about your assets and income. Once they run your credit check EVERYTHING comes up, trust me I saw it. And for anybody with not so great credit I would suggest getting either a prepaid credit card or a Capital One credit card and pay you bills ON TIME. My credit was 677 in early 2014, it's now at 756..food for thought. Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:20 PM

57 posts, read 138,471 times
I have applied for many apartments for the past 3 years at least and have never been called, written or emailed (I chose email as my preference for communication)

What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 PM

Are you applying within your income range? Also, they will usually call community board members first(ppl that live in the area or close by). I would just keep applying to the lotteries and you might get lucky.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,777,275 times
It took me once 4yrs to get a call back, my situation had changed drastically so i didnt even bother with the interview.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyfe View Post
Are you applying within your income range? Also, they will usually call community board members first(ppl that live in the area or close by). I would just keep applying to the lotteries and you might get lucky.
Yes I apply online and it only lists apartments that you are eligible for based on income.

I'm just worried that I may have overlooked an email so I think I am going to change my communication preference to written mail.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Are you looking on nychousingconnect.com?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyfe View Post
Are you looking on nychousingconnect.com?
yes

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...tery.html#home

Old 05-08-2015, 07:41 AM

111 posts, read 207,383 times
I have applied to 14 lotteries have been to two interviews and still no apartment.

Now i'm starting to notice the amount of available apartments is dwindling. Buildings are offering at most 20 apartments. I feel like i'm wasting my time trying applying to this apartments im better off looking myself.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM

I found my apartment through craigslist. But I had to pay a broker's fee.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeauVixen View Post
I have applied to 14 lotteries have been to two interviews and still no apartment.

Now i'm starting to notice the amount of available apartments is dwindling. Buildings are offering at most 20 apartments. I feel like i'm wasting my time trying applying to this apartments im better off looking myself.
**** you've had better luck than me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City