Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,660,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
They're like a symbol of your country's pride
PR isn't a country and never has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
St Patrick Day Parade??
Yea exactly - those who have been downtrodden and marginalized in the past. Read about the 19th century treatment of the Irish. They weren't even considered "white".

Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are no where near the populations of "British", "French" or "Japanese" in NYC both now or historically than equal Puerto Ricans, who by the way are a relatively new minority in NYC.

As for "British" just who would you put under that banner? The crowns of England, Northern Ireland and Wales? The Irish already have their own parade which their growing numbers and voting/political clout historically forced the hand of NYC and even NYS politicians to embrace the parade, well that is until the whole gay marriage/inclusion/equality row began.

In many cases these "pride" parades once had substantial populations in NYC that have now dwindled. Just as with the St. Patrick's day countless "former" New Yorkers and or those with family ties to the City flood in for the day. On our block we saw endless vehicles on Sunday for the PR parade from PA, NJ, North Carolina.

You're not really getting it buddy. Some cultures will never parade here - there is simply no societal need. If you don't see the need for those who have been treated badly to get together and shout and be proud, your missing a lot of it. The biggest parades - LBGT, St. Patrick's, PR - all letting their hair down and stating we're here and we're proud. Your simple numbers theory misses the bigger picture cultural motivations.

You probably have little idea of the breakdown of white immigrant numbers. Take for example the diversity visa program. If your country has too many immigrants (>50,000) in the prior 5 years, then citizens of your country are prohibited from entering the lottery. Britain (excluding Northern Ireland) has been prohibited for decades due to the high numbers of immigrants. Ireland is, and has for a long time been, been available to enter the lottery. If I'd ask you yesterday whether you thought the number of British immigrants in the past forty years to the US exceeded the Irish - I'd bet you've have said no way. They don't congregate together in neighborhoods, nor parade... You don't even know.

(Please don't conflate the British and the Irish, the Irish mainly came here to escape the land-grabbing imperialistic Brits).

Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times
Quote:
I got nothing against Puerto Rico, but why does it get such a massive parade? My country doesn't even have one. Peru doesn't have a parade, Ecuador has a small one, Colombia has a small one, it's like why does Puerto Rico get a special treatment? :/ I wish other countries would get equal treatment
Are you hating on Puerto Ricans lol? Well First of all the first National Puerto Rican parade was held in 1958 so yes this parade have been going on for years and years. Before it was only called the Hispanic parade. The parade was called like this, because to be Hispanic in NYC it meant to be Puerto Rican. Also Puerto Rico is part of the United States. So even the Puerto Ricans that are born in Puerto Rico are US citizens. Now there's a huge decline in Puerto Ricans. They have moved away to other states. Now mainly there are Dominicans, and soon there will be a majority of South Americans, mainly Mexicans.

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times

Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Are you hating on Puerto Ricans lol? Well First of all the first National Puerto Rican parade was held in 1958 so yes this parade have been going on for years and years. Before it was only called the Hispanic parade. The parade was called like this, because to be Hispanic in NYC it meant to be Puerto Rican. Also Puerto Rico is part of the United States. So even the Puerto Ricans that are born in Puerto Rico are US citizens. Now there's a huge decline in Puerto Ricans. They have moved away to other states. Now mainly there are Dominicans, and soon there will be a majority of South Americans, mainly Mexicans.

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times
Actually i still see plenty of Puerto Ricans in NYC.

I think it will be mostly a mix of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, South Americans and Mexicans with no particular group dominating.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

I think it will be mostly a mix of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, South Americans and Mexicans with no particular group dominating.
I agree.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,703,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

Hmmm I beg to differ lol. In the neighborhood (block) that I grew up in now all you see are Dominicans. Not saying it in a bad way just an observation. Before all you used to see were Puerto Rican and African American people. Now mainly I see Dominicans with a few Puerto Ricans here and there. In the Bronx, NY you only used to hear Hip Hop and Salsa. Then came the 90s and you would hear Reggaeton. Now mainly you would hear Bachata (Dominican music) and Dembow (Dominican Reggae). I see some South Americans too. So they are moving to the Bronx as well. Also in Spanish Harlem you do not see a lot of Puerto Ricans anymore. Now all you see are Mexicans. In the future I strongly believe that the Puerto Rican population will be like the Italian population in NYC.

Any inputs?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,414,447 times
Quote:
I got nothing against Puerto Rico, but why does it get such a massive parade? My country doesn't even have one. Peru doesn't have a parade, Ecuador has a small one, Colombia has a small one, it's like why does Puerto Rico get a special treatment? :/ I wish other countries would get equal treatment
Are you aware how big the Puerto Rican population is?

In September you'll be asking why the West Indians get the biggest parade in the country possibly? Lol

Also not a lot of Peruvians in all of NYC minus queens.

Btw us Haitians also have a tiny parade on Nostrand avenue in east Flatbush. Nobody knows of it except other West Indies.

But at the same time us Haitians go harder and root for Haiti in Labor Day moreso then our own day lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Colombia has a huge NYC population too. I see a ton of Colombian flags here in Middle Village, and Middle Village is white as ****. That's just a testament to how many Colombian residents NYC has
Colombians have a small population outside of queens. Very small.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Does the actual city of NY still have a large PR community? I hear that East Harlem which was known as their enclave is losing its PR people and more latinos from central and south america are coming in. I know the DR community has Washington Heights, and many parts of the South Bronx. I have not heard of any PR nabes in the outer boros. I do know there are PR communities out in NJ, and Conn, and Philly.
Cypress hills, Coney Island, bushwick, red hook and Williamsburg still have large Pr communities. So does the south Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City