Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
St Nicholas isn't so bad. I can't stand east Harlem and Lenox Ave/Adam Clayton.

What exactly are you saying about Amsterdam/broadway?
Amsterdam and Broadway above 125th are currently ghetto.
This will change tremendously in the coming few years, as I have mentioned before.
Actually much will west of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Dude, you have "working class" people who are ghetto to. You have "working class" people who have ghetto ass teenagers.
I have observed, from working with said teenagers, that the influence around is a major factor.
I know union people, working class, who basically do not allow their children out in the neighborhood unattended. It is the only thing they can think of against this.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I have observed, from working with said teenagers, that the influence around is a major factor.
I know union people, working class, who basically do not allow their children out in the neighborhood unattended. It is the only thing they can think of against this.
But when these teenager go to their zoned schools in the area, they will be surrounded by the very same type of ghetto kids the parent or parents are trying to avoid when tell the teenager not to go outside in the neighborhood. Regardless the good intention of the parent or parents, the child is still exposed to that ghetto lifestyle.

Kids are impressionable and will usually gravitate to the prevalent culture/lifestyle of the area. There is only so much a parent can do to avoid their kid getting sucked into that hood culture when they are being bombared with it at school and on their block where they live.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But when these teenager go to their zoned schools in the area, they will be surrounded by the very same type of ghetto kids the parent or parents are trying to avoid when tell the teenager not to go outside in the neighborhood. Regardless the good intention of the parent or parents, the child is still exposed to that ghetto lifestyle.

Kids are impressionable and will usually gravitate to the prevalent culture/lifestyle of the area. There is only so much a parent can do to avoid their kid getting sucked into that hood culture when they are being bombared with it at school and on their block where they live.
This is exactly the tragedy.
Around here, many of the unfortunate teenagers are in one of the "family shelters" with his or her five siblings, or in one of the social service buildings. 127th off Convent is MOSTLY these kinds of buildings.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I do deliveries in the gentrified Harlem over night. Let me tell you, Saturday night into Sunday morning, Harlem was on fire.

Almost got pulled out of my truck by 4 shirtless black young adult on W 135th and Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th avenue).

Heard gun shots, large crowd of young feral blacks (and few hispanics) congregating after before being arrested by police on W 113th and Lenox.

Almost got robbed by at least 20 black males on west 123rd and Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th avenue).

Threatened by another group of black males on W 127th and Saint Nicholas.

I'm here to say that you Harlem boosters are full of crap. You almost had me fooled. Why lie? Why? Seriously. I did not see one WHITE person in sight (although I'm there at 2 am). If you want to see old Harlem, full of crack heads and drug dealers, go out at night. Its the same Harlem. BTW, that neighborhood once again is in the top 5 highest crime rate in the city. It's a serious dump.

Not making this up, have no reason to. BTW, 113th - 115th and Lenox has to be the worst blocks in central Harlem. Jesus christ is that a hot block. For those who don't know, that's where MLK projects are located.

BTW a FYI, 112th to 115th from first avenue to Lenox avenue is made up exclusively of housing projects. LOL try gentrifying that hell hole.
So it seems even driving a truck on the major avenues is dangerous outa there? I had thought only if you are walking around in the local streets. Maybe you were delivering stuffs that were very tempting?

Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
So it seems even driving a truck on the major avenues is dangerous outa there? I had thought only if you are walking around in the local streets. Maybe you were delivering stuffs that were very tempting?
To be fair this is not common. Most days you see people just smoking weed out in the open. You also see crackheads and drug dealers but they don't mess with anyone. This Saturday was particularly bad, but most weekends are hot.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:48 PM

Maybe a little better after Whole Foods opens there. (wonder if they'll hire more armed guards in/around the store)

Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I do deliveries in the gentrified Harlem over night. Let me tell you, Saturday night into Sunday morning, Harlem was on fire.

Almost got pulled out of my truck by 4 shirtless black young adult on W 135th and Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th avenue).

Heard gun shots, large crowd of young feral blacks (and few hispanics) congregating after before being arrested by police on W 113th and Lenox.

Almost got robbed by at least 20 black males on west 123rd and Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th avenue).

Threatened by another group of black males on W 127th and Saint Nicholas.

I'm here to say that you Harlem boosters are full of crap. You almost had me fooled. Why lie? Why? Seriously. I did not see one WHITE person in sight (although I'm there at 2 am). If you want to see old Harlem, full of crack heads and drug dealers, go out at night. Its the same Harlem. BTW, that neighborhood once again is in the top 5 highest crime rate in the city. It's a serious dump.

Not making this up, have no reason to. BTW, 113th - 115th and Lenox has to be the worst blocks in central Harlem. Jesus christ is that a hot block. For those who don't know, that's where MLK projects are located.

BTW a FYI, 112th to 115th from first avenue to Lenox avenue is made up exclusively of housing projects. LOL try gentrifying that hell hole.
Lol I believe you. But last time I chilled in Harlem at night was on a Friday night about 2 years ago and I walked from 116th to 125th on 8th Avenue and the streets were empty. I saw nothing hood at all - until I got to 125th. Was I just lucky? And this was around 11 PM or midnight. Not discrediting you but more curious about the section of 8th Avenue I walked on. I know all those other spots you were at were hood.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol I believe you. But last time I chilled in Harlem at night was on a Friday night about 2 years ago and I walked from 116th to 125th on 8th Avenue and the streets were empty. I saw nothing hood at all - until I got to 125th. Was I just lucky? And this was around 11 PM or midnight.
It's random. You never know.
It is a minority of residents who create problems.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
But last time I chilled in Harlem at night was on a Friday night about 2 years ago and I walked from 116th to 125th on 8th Avenue and the streets were empty. I saw nothing hood at all - until I got to 125th. Was I just lucky? And this was around 11 PM or midnight..
Was it a warm summer day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City