Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Was that (Starlight) the one in Brooklyn Heights, reasonaby near Cadman Place?
We was there only once or twice a LONG time ago.

I didn't much care for it...seemed cold.

Oops, just read the link with the Crown Heights address, so I KNOW I've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,396 times
Hi,
I am black european and I am planing to come for my first time in NY, so I am looking for some bars or clubs where to meet black guys or motsly frequented by black guys.
Any advice please?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
Smile The Harlem Black Gay Bar scene in the 70's and early 80

I used to go the Silver Rail and Andres, the second picture (middle). I also went to jay's a bit, but i was a hustler bar on 125th street if you were coming from the 8th avenue subway, it was after the baby Grand but before you got to the next corner. I lived in Queens at the time but had my coming out in the Harlem gay bar scene. If I can be of help, let me know.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:00 PM

108 posts, read 227,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
PETER RABBIT was half and half, aka completely integrated, until it closed. But I reveled there as early as 1970-1975 and met my partner there 41 years ago (both white.)
I don't think it even survived until 1980 and became an upscale Chinese restaurant that failed within 2 years, then a string of failed restaurants.
The bar had the BEST jukebox in the City and Sunday dancing was popular.
They served a nice free spread ever Sunday afternoon at 4. Several of the bars did to keep customers from wandering off but Peter Rabbit and the Road House (on Hudson) had the best food (RH served at 5.) You could do two free dinners to help sober up.

KELLER'S on West Street was pretty integrated too.

I cannot recall any exclusively black bars before 1980. The popular one on Eight Avenue, whose name escapes me might have qualified as mixed black and Hispanic, but that's only heresay. I was never there.

(I wish I had kept a couple of ancient HX magazines to jog my memory a bit.)

Sorry, BP...looking back on the thread, I may have said the same thing TWICE.
Thanks Kefir for trying to help, I appreciate it.

A bar doesn't have to be exclusively black. I'm just trying to find out where black gay folk spent their time. Based on your description of Peter Rabbits I would classify that as a Black Gay Friendly Bar but it would still be on the list as you say they were about half its clientele. It's not about taking white brothers out, it's about tracking black lgbt footsteps.

Thanks again.
Leon

Old 04-09-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mander806 View Post
I used to go the Silver Rail and Andres, the second picture (middle). I also went to jay's a bit, but i was a hustler bar on 125th street if you were coming from the 8th avenue subway, it was after the baby Grand but before you got to the next corner. I lived in Queens at the time but had my coming out in the Harlem gay bar scene. If I can be of help, let me know.

I sent you a private email mander806.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Was that (Starlight) the one in Brooklyn Heights, reasonaby near Cadman Place?
We was there only once or twice a LONG time ago.

I didn't much care for it...seemed cold.

Oops, just read the link with the Crown Heights address, so I KNOW I've never been.

I think the bar was called "After 5" at Fulton Street, it was really seedy.......
then they made moved next door to the corner and called it One Hot spot, but that was 90's I think.

It i all gone now and it is a pizza place.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the bar was called "After 5" at Fulton Street, it was really seedy.......
then they made moved next door to the corner and called it One Hot spot, but that was 90's I think.

It i all gone now and it is a pizza place.
Nightcrawler was the "After 5" black also? Is that the small brick building to the right of One Hot Spot (the white bldg)?
One Hot Spot
1 Front St
Brooklyn NY

Attached Thumbnails
Do You Know of ANY of NY's Black Gay Clubs prior to 1985?-one-hot-spot.jpg  

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Nightcrawler was the "After 5" black also? Is that the small brick building to the right of One Hot Spot (the white bldg)?
One Hot Spot
1 Front St
Brooklyn NY
yes, there were a lot of black men there, and yes, it was the small brick building to the right.

one hot spot, was all three floors, dancing was upstairs, kinda cool cause the windows let you see the lights and traffic. I thought there were a lot of black men that went there.

now its all touristy......................sigh*****

Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco82 View Post
Hi,
I am black european and I am planing to come for my first time in NY, so I am looking for some bars or clubs where to meet black guys or motsly frequented by black guys.
Any advice please?
There are not any predominately gay Black bars left.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, there were a lot of black men there, and yes, it was the small brick building to the right.

one hot spot, was all three floors, dancing was upstairs, kinda cool cause the windows let you see the lights and traffic. I thought there were a lot of black men that went there.

now its all touristy......................sigh*****

Great! Thanks for the info nightcrawler I can add After 5 to the list. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City