Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,034 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am new to this forum so forgive me for asking questions that may have been asked before, if so, simply point me to relevant posts.
I am taking a job in Mid Town, Manhattan. Moving just by myself initially and leaving my family in Silicon Valley for now. Here are a few questions and criteria for the place I am looking to either rent/buy.

1: I will not have car and like to strictly rely on public transportation, preferably train/subways.
2: Like to be close to train/subway station with minimal walking/exposure to heat/cold.
3: Like to keep my commute time (to/from home to/from mid town Manhattan) to ~30 mins.
4: Like to stay in managed property preferably with fitness center either on premise or very close.
5: Like to get a 1 bedroom or studio
6: Since I have no school going kids with me, prefer not to pay premium for "good schools" as part of the rent/property tax.
7: High rise tower with higher floor and view is desirable.
8: Newer buildings or recently renovated facility be preferred.

A separate question is whether to rent or buy place. What are the pros and cons for each? Anything else I should be considering that I just have not thought of as I don't know what I don't know.
Thank you in advance for your time and expert opinions.
Best Regards,
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Depends on your budget.

Long Island City or Astoria would fit the bill. Even Roosevelt Isl. There are a bunch of new buildings on the southern part of the island.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Depends on your budget.

Long Island City or Astoria would fit the bill. Even Roosevelt Isl. There are a bunch of new buildings on the southern part of the island.
Or even just Midtown.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 AM

I don't have specific rent budget in mind, however I like to keep it to minimal as I still have to pay mortgage for Silicon Valley home.
Any thoughts on approx rent $ for places meeting my criteria above?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVtoNY View Post
I don't have specific rent budget in mind, however I like to keep it to minimal as I still have to pay mortgage for Silicon Valley home.
Any thoughts on approx rent $ for places meeting my criteria above?
LIC or RI, studio on a high floor in a newish building with amenities...maybe $2500-$3000. I BR, maybe $3500?

There are some realtors here that would know exactly.

If you're willing to be flexible about the age of the building, high floor and amenities, you could do Astoria or Sunnyside for probably $2000.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Please keep in mind Newer Buildings are cheaply made but look great and have tons of amenities. Ive had clients after 10 months contact me asking to be put back into walk ups/older doorman buildings once the lease is up. I would say 90% of my clients who asked me for this tend to have experience living in Nyc for a few yrs and have experience between the 2 styles of construction.

Most new transplants or first time living on their own tend to love newer buildings cause they dont realize the quality of material used and are blinded by the roofdeck, spa, basketball court, etc and its a good way of saying "hey look what i can afford". Also unless you pass a certain limit of price in the newer rentals the size of the rooms will be the next issue you deal with lol.

Depending on what you value most will make your living experience here in awesome. Don't limit yourself completely and check out a bit of both. If you go to a newer building and the first thing they want to show are the amenities, watch out lol. That's how they get you. Think of it as meeting someone for the first time and being extremely attractive to them physically and then a few days/weeks later realize their was no substance behind it lol.

If renting midtown gives you the chance to live anywhere you want. Upper East, Upper West, Flatiron, East Village, Midtown east or west. Please keep in mind i live on the L train of Myrtle Wycoff and my office is on 23st/5ave and im in my door to office in 24-28 mins.

Ive put someone who works on 51 and 2ave and she lives on 81st and Columbus, ive put a couple who work in Lincoln Center in the east village/lower east side. Knowing your way around the city via subway will make a huge difference.

Studio-1br depending where but sticking to your doorman possible gym request can range from $2300-$4800.

Welcome to nyc crazy non logical real estate market. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 PM

118 posts, read 160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVtoNY View Post
Hello All,
I am new to this forum so forgive me for asking questions that may have been asked before, if so, simply point me to relevant posts.
I am taking a job in Mid Town, Manhattan. Moving just by myself initially and leaving my family in Silicon Valley for now. Here are a few questions and criteria for the place I am looking to either rent/buy.

1: I will not have car and like to strictly rely on public transportation, preferably train/subways.
2: Like to be close to train/subway station with minimal walking/exposure to heat/cold.
3: Like to keep my commute time (to/from home to/from mid town Manhattan) to ~30 mins.
4: Like to stay in managed property preferably with fitness center either on premise or very close.
5: Like to get a 1 bedroom or studio
6: Since I have no school going kids with me, prefer not to pay premium for "good schools" as part of the rent/property tax.
7: High rise tower with higher floor and view is desirable.
8: Newer buildings or recently renovated facility be preferred.

A separate question is whether to rent or buy place. What are the pros and cons for each? Anything else I should be considering that I just have not thought of as I don't know what I don't know.
Thank you in advance for your time and expert opinions.
Best Regards,
S
Best website to find your new apt is street easy.

NYC Apartments for Rent - Streeteasy

Most areas in Manhattan fit what you're looking for. You can plug in your requirements on the search engine i.e. new development, commute time to particular address, etc. under the "advanced" tab.

I'm also moving to New York and so far, this building below, 400 Park Avenue South, piques my interest the most. Brand new and I believe rent starts at $3,500, condos start at $1.5MM. It's probably a 5 minute train ride to the heart of Midtown and there will actually be an entrance to the subway station built inside of the building.

400 Park Avenue South - New York Times

Introducing 400 Park Avenue South : Sky Couture

And then there are downtown buildings, like this:

200 Chambers St. in Tribeca : Sales, Rentals, Floorplans - StreetEasy

But it's a different vibe down there...more quiet and family oriented and its farther from midtown. I'm guessing a 20 minute train ride.

Good luck.

Last edited by Louis XVI; 06-19-2014 at 12:10 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Just look at a subway map & check where the lines go to in Queens & Brooklyn, take a ride on your day off & start from there.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 AM

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I have a general idea now. I will share more after I have found a place and process that worked (hopefully) for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: