Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,318 times

Advertisements

Smorgasburg | A Brooklyn Flea Food Market i would have thought everyone in new york would know what this is.. I saw a documentary that featured a segment on smorgasburg and it looked fun...i will research tours. So are you not recommending actually climbing up the statue of liberty or and you saying we should just catch the ferry there and back to have a look?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I would research your meals ahead of time, it's easier to spend $100 on a crappy meal in Manhattan then just about anywhere else. It's easy to get worn down and hungry and to settle for any old restaurant.
I think we will go to well known places like nobu, Abc kitchen and morimoto. Ill research some others also.. Ill have a look at some celebrity owned restaurants they can be good surely?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Thumbs down Positive opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I would research your meals ahead of time, it's easier to spend $100 on a crappy meal in Manhattan then just about anywhere else. It's easy to get worn down and hungry and to settle for any old restaurant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
why would you want to spend your honeymoon in a overcrowded, dirty, smelly, expensive city??

Go to Bora Bora, Fiji (Been here), Hawaii (spending 8 days at the start of the trip), the French Polynesian Islands ( done it), etc for your honeymoon..
i think honeymoons can be spent anywhere really, tropical islands are beautiful yes but can get rather boring after a while especially when they are secluded

Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
why would you want to spend your honeymoon in a overcrowded, dirty, smelly, expensive city??

Go to Bora Bora, Fiji, Hawaii, the French Polynesian Islands, etc for your honeymoon..
Such a dumb comment. People honeymoon in cities all the time. For example Paris is considered romantic but it's really just another city. It was lovely and beautiful and exciting but that just because it was foreign to me. I remember sitting in an outdoor cafe drinking coffee with my friend thinking "wow this is so amazing! I'm In a Parisian cafe sipping coffee!" People visiting NYC probably think something similar. Same can be said for any of the other city destinations. It's usually exciting because it's different and/or foreign.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:

Go to Bora Bora, Fiji, Hawaii, the French Polynesian Islands, etc for your honeymoon..
Seriously!!!!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Such a dumb comment. People honeymoon in cities all the time. For example Paris is considered romantic but it's really just another city. It was lovely and beautiful and exciting but that just because it was foreign to me. I remember sitting in an outdoor cafe drinking coffee with my friend thinking "wow this is so amazing! I'm In a Parisian cafe sipping coffee!" People visiting NYC probably think something similar. Same can be said for any of the other city destinations. It's usually exciting because it's different and/or foreign.
Paris is known as the city of love.. NYC is known as the Big Apple.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Paris is known as the city of love.. NYC is known as the Big Apple.
Yes I'm aware of the nickname but what I'm saying is that it was no more romantic than NYC or any other trendy metropolitan area.

Islands and beach vacations are lovely, and I've been on a few, but it would not be my first choice for a honeymoon. It can get boring. It's pretty much the same set of activities (every beach/island resort offers similar activities). I like seeing interesting and different things- something cities are good for. NYC would be an good place to honeymoon for people that like excitement and exploring cities.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
My opinion on some of your choices:

Lady liberty - climbing it isn't worth it if they still allow it. I did it once and it was a four hour line, most of it spent on stairs staring at the legs of the person in front of you. On the top you get to look out some very small blurry windows.

Grimaldis pizza - There is one in Brooklyn (the original) and also one in lower Manhattan. The one in Brooklyn is very crowded and there is always a line outside. As a New Yorker I wouldn't wait on line for it

Grays papaya - Just an ordinary hot dog place

Chelsea market - very nice indoor market

Shake shack - overrated, you can find better shakes and burgers elsewhere

Wall Street - dead on weekends except for tourists maybe. Check out the bars on Stone Street

Rockefeller - Top of the Rock, 30th Rockefeller, offers a better view than Empire State Building in my opinion even though it's a shorter building

Boat house/ boat ride on the lake - make sure they have this in the winter

Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:

My immediate thoughts as soon as I read the thread title! LOL.

I work right in the heard of Midtown and it boggles me when I see these tour buses filled with tourist who come here and pay to stare at buildings. Makes me think to myself.."what kind of crap town do you come from that makes staring at buildings appealing". NYC is a great place for opportunities but to vacation for a honeymoon?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
My immediate thoughts as soon as I read the thread title! LOL.

I work right in the heard of Midtown and it boggles me when I see these tour buses filled with tourist who come here and pay to stare at buildings. Makes me think to myself.."what kind of crap town do you come from that makes staring at buildings appealing". NYC is a great place for opportunities but to vacation for a honeymoon?
So bizarre. But OP did say she is doing a kind of round the world tour and NYC was just one of the stops, which makes a bit more sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City