Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,460 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this map created by MIT researchers? It's a map showing how safe/unsafe a place is perceived to be from google street views. Seems to me very far from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quite a few of the safest neighborhoods in Staten Island show up as red. My area is the 2nd safest in the city based on reported crime stats yet there's plenty of red here on this map. Take that as you may. As a matter of fact, there's a red dot right on my corner. If there's ever been a crime here, I certainly have never seen it and I've lived here since the houses were built.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Quite a few of the safest neighborhoods in Staten Island show up as red. My area is the 2nd safest in the city based on reported crime stats yet there's plenty of red here on this map. Take that as you may. As a matter of fact, there's a red dot right on my corner. If there's ever been a crime here, I certainly have never seen it and I've lived here since the houses were built.
If the street views of two sides of a street give very different impressions, then they end up being perceived differently. I found some spots, two directly opposite buildings few yards apart, one green, one red. And notice the entire perimeter of Manhattan is red, while much of Harlem is green.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 11,778 times
Ha! My entire block in Astoria is red. Probably because there's only a few houses on my street, it's mostly industrial, but I've never felt unsafe here.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Has anyone seen this map created by MIT researchers? It's a map showing how safe/unsafe a place is perceived to be from google street views. Seems to me very far from reality.
Definitely weird.Quite a few red dots in my area,which is one of the lower crime precincts in the city.
Very strangely,one of the nearby areas that is completely green is in and around the Pelham Parkway Houses, which is where most of the crime actually occurs.The judges must have felt safe because of all the trees on the grounds of the project.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Definitely weird.Quite a few red dots in my area,which is one of the lower crime precincts in the city.
Very strangely,one of the nearby areas that is completely green is in and around the Pelham Parkway Houses, which is where most of the crime actually occurs.The judges must have felt safe because of all the trees on the grounds of the project.
That's actually exactly how they did it. They just showed you pictures and asked the user to rate the picture solely based on the appearance. So a lot of housing projects were actually perceived as really safe because of the trees.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Was a past thread on this. Waste of time on MIT brains to create something based of perception when there are plenty of real World problems on these same streets.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:21 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
This map is a joke.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:06 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
I think the sticky NYC safety map here on CD is much more accurate!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM

368 posts, read 391,877 times
Why did they leave out all of Queens (such as Douglaston, Little Neck, Bellerose, or Rosedale) that was east of the Cross Island Parkway? Don't they know where the city line is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City