Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:59 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

Im interested in perhaps pursuing an associate's degree and CUNY seems to be a good "bang for your buck".

I was interested in maybe program coding.

What are good programs that Laguardia is known for ??

What is something with good job prospects ??

I already have a BA in another field that am no longer happy in. I am willing to to start at the bottom and not make any money to begin with ( I currently am employed full time with a well paying job that I can do my homework at since I dont do much else)lol

Not to drag on... But i am intelligent, bilingual, well read and well spoken and would like to try another career path since I still have time on my side (age 27) and no kids.

Any suggestions and advice are highly appreciated !

Last edited by Popfizz; 07-01-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I taught there briefly. It's not a school. If you already have a BA you'll be bored to tears. You should look at Hunter, or similar.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Know this; by law all graduates of NYC high schools are guaranteed admission to the CUNY system. However those deemed without the academic chops to handle four year college work are sent/end up in the community colleges as opposed to the four year schools (Hunter, Baruch, City, Lehman, Brooklyn). When you consider often the quality of high school graduates out of the NYC system you begin to understand what you find at the community colleges.

Aside from nursing and a few other job training specific programs I recommend you look elsewhere such as one of the four year CUNY colleges, any of the SUNY colleges and so forth.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Such as paralegal program ?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Such as paralegal program ?
NYU Paralegal Certificate - a good program? worth the $$$? - Paralegal Jobs | Indeed.com

and:

Paralegal Jobs | Indeed.com

Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM

155 posts, read 259,050 times
You don't necessarily need a degree for a paralegal position. That's really not worth it.. If anything, program coding like you mentioned is but that's something you can learn on your own if you have the spare time like you mentioned.

I'd say go into the field of computer science or engineering but obviously you have to be passionate about whatever you do so.. Alternatives I guess are the fields of business or health.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 PM

People have always told me at several jobs that I'm "good with computers" and usually if anyone has any questions about the web, websites, iphone setups, programs we use at work.... im the perso they ask ??? Does this mean I may be more adept to be in this field im just being a slacker ?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
People have always told me at several jobs that I'm "good with computers" and usually if anyone has any questions about the web, websites, iphone setups, programs we use at work.... im the perso they ask ??? Does this mean I may be more adept to be in this field im just being a slacker ?
While interesting that does not imply competence in the skills sought by employers.

It will depend upon the type of employment but basically things break down into knowledge/skills in using programs (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc....) versus programming, development, coding, etc....

Years ago for instance when MS was just getting started with PCs in offices and programs like Excel places would train secretarial/assistant and others in now the use. Today to be considered you have to *know* those programs from the start. A place may train you to work with a particular system unique to that institution (such as electronic medical records that nurses and others use for charting), but if you are working in an administrative position chances are they want to know already have those skills.

However being able to pick up computer skills and or solve problems related easily is a very good trait to have. Such problem solving often means one can think out of the box so to speak.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM

345 posts, read 853,728 times
Why not go to a 4 Year CUNY, with your BA, you probably wouldn't need many credits. I would check Baruch, CIty university, or Brooklyn College or Queens college first.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM

92 posts, read 230,501 times
Community college usually offer different degree and certificate options than 4 year schools and the rates are cheaper per year AND per credit.

Tuition & Fees - Admissions - CUNY

For instance, BMCC is the only college in the cuny system that offers Respiratory Therapy.

With that said, for somebody with a BA already I would suggest taking a continuing education class at Baruch (search course horse for more options) to learn html/css/java basics. See if its something you truly want to do- if not, a basic understanding of html/css is a good skill set to have regardless of you field; not harm, no foul.

If its something that truly interest you I would applying to a specialized school like general assembly which will teach you the skills that you truly need to have as a developer and not just the theory mumbo jumbo you would learn at a traditional college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: