Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I would add Washington Heights and Inwood too, even west of Broadway, for what they are. I agree they're far from undiscovered, but rents there are still half of what they would be in Brooklyn neighborhoods equally close to midtown. A large number of people never consider living there, and many have no idea about the many attractions of these areas. They're "under the radar" in the same sense that parts of the UES are, which was the OP's example.
I actually looked in Inwood in 2012. I think I'd do UES (more like... "almost yorkville") before Inwood. The rents seemed close enough, but Inwood is way up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Bath Beach, Bensonhurst, Gravesend----- Boring, not hip, not trendy, totally un cool, totally sleepy, yawn!!!

nothing of interest here, no restaurants, nothing, zero, zip, zilch, nada.

bet very very affordable and close to everything, so it works for me!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Bath Beach, Bensonhurst, Gravesend----- Boring, not hip, not trendy, totally un cool, totally sleepy, yawn!!!

nothing of interest here, no restaurants, nothing, zero, zip, zilch, nada.

bet very very affordable and close to everything, so it works for me!
I disagree on Bensonhurst. They got some pork stores, ravioli stores and cheese shops that are better than anything you can find in the "cool" nabes.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
In Manhattan? Not many "sleeper" uncool neighborhoods left but there's still Upper Manhattan which is becoming surprisingly gentrified more and more each year: Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights, Hudson Height and even Inwood. Yorkville also. Not undiscovered neighborhoods (fair amounts of young professional transplants from all over the country in Upper Manhattan) but rent are mostly affordable... for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Inwood east of Broadway.
West of Broadway actually unless east of Broadway is becoming gentrified also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I actually looked in Inwood in 2012. I think I'd do UES (more like... "almost yorkville") before Inwood. The rents seemed close enough, but Inwood is way up there.
It's may be up at the northern tip of Manhattan but it's actually about a 35 min commute on the A train to/ from Midtown during rush hour which isn't that bad; door to door though is a bit longer. Despite my rants about the noise levels on and night clubs around Dyckman/ Broadway on weekends Inwood west of Broadway is actually a decent area for Upper Manhattan. Though, if I moved back into the city I'd live further south near the 180's near Fort Washington Avenue but that area (Hudson Heights) is becoming expensive now.

The outer boroughs has a fair share of undiscovered neighborhoods with affordable rents and somewhat reasonable commutes aside from Astoria and western Brooklyn, Bay Ridge comes to mind of what you described but that's going to change in the next few years as demand for cheaper rent and more space outside of the "desirable" Manhattan neighborhoods grows. The Bronx might have the largest share of underrated neighborhoods though IMO.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Add to this Maspeth, Woodhaven and Richmond Hill. Although I look at these nabes as the last cool ones that are left.
Yeah the only reason I didn't add Maspeth is because Public transportation in that area is very poor.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
In Manhattan? Not many "sleeper" uncool neighborhoods left but there's still Upper Manhattan which is becoming surprisingly gentrified more and more each year: Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights, Hudson Height and even Inwood. Yorkville also. Not undiscovered neighborhoods (fair amounts of young professional transplants from all over the country in Upper Manhattan) but rent are mostly affordable... for now.

West of Broadway actually unless east of Broadway is becoming gentrified also.

It's may be up at the northern tip of Manhattan but it's actually about a 35 min commute on the A train to/ from Midtown during rush hour which isn't that bad; door to door though is a bit longer. Despite my rants about the noise levels on and night clubs around Dyckman/ Broadway on weekends Inwood west of Broadway is actually a decent area for Upper Manhattan. Though, if I moved back into the city I'd live further south near the 180's near Fort Washington Avenue but that area (Hudson Heights) is becoming expensive now.
I guess the main thing that turned me off was that it seemed like apartments in Inwood were almost the same cost as the ones over by Yorkville. I worked at Cornell Medical a long time ago so I at least sort of knew what that area was all about but Inwood was new to me. It's kinda cool up there though, that forest park thing is nice. If I move back I'd likely be working over on west 20th or 21st.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I guess the main thing that turned me off was that it seemed like apartments in Inwood were almost the same cost as the ones over by Yorkville. I worked at Cornell Medical a long time ago so I at least sort of knew what that area was all about but Inwood was new to me. It's kinda cool up there though, that forest park thing is nice. If I move back I'd likely be working over on west 20th or 21st.
You get a lot more apartment for your money in Inwood than in Yorkville, though. Those apartments are huge.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You get a lot more apartment for your money in Inwood than in Yorkville, though. Those apartments are huge.
Yeah that's valid. I guess I don't care about a big place. I moved to Atlanta and 80% of my house was empty. Also good tip about Kensington. An ex of mine lived over there, right where it turns into Windsor Terrace. I forgot about that area.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I disagree on Bensonhurst. They got some pork stores, ravioli stores and cheese shops that are better than anything you can find in the "cool" nabes.

ya think???

maybe "Pastosas", they do have good food, but there are no restaurants at all.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
back in 1979 when I and a friend visited B'Hurst (my dad grew up there) we ate lunch in a diner style restaurant right near the 64th street/18th Avenue station. I wonder if it's still there. nicer than a greasy spoon but not fancy either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City