Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,084 times

Advertisements

I'm a side sleeper, but want to be a back sleeper for a few reasons (spine alignment, wrinkles, etc).

How did you convert from being a side sleeper to a back sleeper?

I found this article with great tips, but I toss a lot, so I don't see this being successful for me.

How Can I Train Myself to Sleep on My Back? | eHow.com

On the slim chance that someone has some... any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Left side then switch to right side as I am drifting off to wander the timbers of slumber. Sometimes I wake up on my back sometimes I don't, depends on how much I move throughout the night.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
I love sleeping on my back but it isn't always what my body wants.
I wouldn't be too rigid about it.
You can work into it slowly and retrain yourself gradually but if you can't relax on your back, it's silly to try to make yourself take on that position.
Wrinkles? Well yeah but i think that your overall health, ie; sleeping well and comfort are more important.
And if you have a really good mattress and a good pillow so that your spine is aligned, sleeping on your side is not a bad thing.
Sleeping on the back is a vulnerable position so it may require some emotional awareness ... like tuning into the way that you feel when your belly and entire front side are exposed.
Being on your back is also a really good position for tuning into your entire body and your entire system.
It's a very open position that isn't always conducive to sleep.
If you do feel vulnerable you can find one of those nice long and heavy pillows and put it on your belly. It's actually very comforting.
I stretch a lot when i'm on my back and that's a very good thing to do.
Again, i wouldn't force your body into a position that it isn't comfortable in and again, if your spine is aligned, side sleeping is fine.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times
I don't know actually. It could go either way and I haven't really thought about whether I spent more time in one position or another (couldn't tell anyways).

Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
I think side sleeping is as good as back sleeping for your spine. I think varying your position during the night is helpful too.
Until my 30's I slept almost exclusively on my stomach, but then my back couldn't take it any more. That was an easy transition due to the discomfort. I'd never slept on my back at all, but later after a shoulder injury I had to stop sleeping on my left side, which only left my right side. I didn't want to sleep that way all night, so I did train myself to fall asleep on my back, something I'd never been able to do. I can't explain how I did it, I just put it in my mind that I had to. But after awhile my back feels stiff when I'm lying on it and I have to change.
I really don't think it's good for your body to stay in one position all night no matter what it is.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I sleep on both sides and my back. I toss and turn alot.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I don't know that sleeping in a fetal position is any worse than sleeping on your back. The wrinkles are temporary and smooth out as you get ready for the day. You could try putting 2 of those long pillows on either side of you before you go to sleep, don't know if it would work. I got a flexible bed, like a big puffy recliner, and it is impossible to turn over.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I don't know that sleeping in a fetal position is any worse than sleeping on your back. The wrinkles are temporary and smooth out as you get ready for the day. You could try putting 2 of those long pillows on either side of you before you go to sleep, don't know if it would work. I got a flexible bed, like a big puffy recliner, and it is impossible to turn over.
That's what I thought. But my aunt has significantly more wrinkles on one side of her face than the other. She mentioned it to me, and said it was because that's the side she slept on (she never rotates like some people). Then I realized, I always sleep on my right side (I briefly break on my left, but go immediately back to the right, every time), and that would explain the wrinkles on that side of my face but not the other (thank goodness for Retin-A ). I've also started developing wrinkles, or rings, on my neck, which I've since learned is due to my pillow being too high when I lay on my side. A girl can't catch a break. lol

I also have a bad back, neck, hip, knee, and wrist (all on the left), after an injury. The therapist encouraged me to become a back sleeper, but I just haven't been successful, no matter how hard I try.

I tried the long pillows, but they just fall off the bed when I roll onto my side in my sleep. I tried using my U-shaped travel pillow. I bought an ergonomic pillow that's suppose to encourage you to sleep on your back. No luck.

I've never heard of a flexible bed. I'll have to look into that. Thanks so much!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
I sleep on EVERY side!!! Back, both sides and tummy!

If you want to try sleeping on your back, put a pillow under your knees...that helps keep you back aligned properly, and it will also make it harder to turn!

I personally don't think staying in 1 position for 7-9 hours is a good thing....but whatever works!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
The flexible bed is like a hospital bed. A store called Relax The Back carries them but they ain't cheap! THey usually come with a tempurpedic mattress as they flex well. Mine has a built in vibrate function, some come with a built-in heating element - both on timers. My queen was about $2500 a few years ago. However, it was worth every penny as I have had 2 spinal fusions and it is the most comfortable position for me. Elevating my head slightly also helps with my GERD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness