Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 AM

133 posts, read 203,555 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Apart from Craigslist, any other suggestions?

My friend also suggested padmapper.com

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,521 times
Padmapper is a good idea.

Nakedapartments is another website.

If you don't mind the fee it doesn't hurt to approach brokers as well. When we were looking last summer I found a surprising number of apartments up for rent that I couldn't find myself on craigslist. Our agent told us many times desirable apartments are given out to multiple agencies to compete over and the whole listing/sale process can be done within a few days. They never bother to list some apartments on mass search sites like craigslist because there is no need.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 PM

61 posts, read 104,588 times
Where in Brooklyn are you looking? I gave up using those websites. Most landlords don't have their apartments on those sites because they want to screen people. I bit the bullet and went with a real estate agent/broker and was shown places that were much MUCH nicer than what I was seeing online. Having to pay a fee sucks but in my opinion it was worth it in the end.

I'm in the bay ridge area and used Ben Bay Realty. They found me my current apartment in like four hours lol

Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM

133 posts, read 203,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
Where in Brooklyn are you looking? I gave up using those websites. Most landlords don't have their apartments on those sites because they want to screen people. I bit the bullet and went with a real estate agent/broker and was shown places that were much MUCH nicer than what I was seeing online. Having to pay a fee sucks but in my opinion it was worth it in the end.

I'm in the bay ridge area and used Ben Bay Realty. They found me my current apartment in like four hours lol
Sweet thx. I might use a broker then.

Im working in staten island.

So im thinking bay ridge or sunset park or park slope. Leaning towards park slope.

How much is a decent one bdr in those area? 1600 with utilities is my max

Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Sweet thx. I might use a broker then.

Im working in staten island.

So im thinking bay ridge or sunset park or park slope. Leaning towards park slope.

How much is a decent one bdr in those area? 1600 with utilities is my max
Do you mean gas and electric when you are talking about utilities? Cooking gas should only be about $20 per month or so. Electric could be around $100/mo average and more ($200) if you use A/C in the summer. Those are ballpark figures. If you're also talking about internet, figure $55/month just for cable internet, unless you can get an intro deal, in which case it would be more like $35.

Apartment rents usually don't include utilities, so in that case I guess you are looking at a max rent of $1400. You definitely can't afford Park Slope on that budget, but it may be possible to find something in Sunset Park or Bay Ridge. Check craigslist for an initial idea about rents there. There are scams and bait and switches, but at least it will give you a general sense of what rents are being advertised in those neighborhoods.

new york all apartments classifieds "bay ridge" - craigslist

new york all apartments classifieds "sunset park" - craigslist

Old 03-27-2015, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 749 times
If you decide to use a Broker, feel free to contact me.
I work in all the areas you mention.
Janine Acquafredda, House n Key.
I will let you know however, that 1600 probably won't cut it in Park Slope.
Last 1 bedroom I rented there was 3200.
Good luck with your search!
Janine

Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM

613 posts, read 463,119 times
You could try streeteasy.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: