Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:39 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

By the way jad2k, can you inbox me the company's website that you use?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I use a cleaning service. It's a company that sends someone (usually someone different) every time. I have the cleanings scheduled for every other week and these regular cleanings have been ongoing for over a year. The service is really easy to use as I can schedule and make changes to the appointments online. The cleanings are billed directly to my card each time and the charge includes everything, even taxes and tip (stated on the website). As such, the cost per hour is a bit higher than what I could pay an independent cleaning person.

The other day I had an interesting experience with the lady that showed up to clean. Upon leaving she said "you know you're supposed to tip cleaning people." My mouth dropped and I paused before saying "this service includes tip." She said they aren't given tips by the company. I told her that I don't have cash on me (truth) and that I use this service specifically because it's a cashless transaction (truth). She then left my apartment. I should also point out that she was not an exceptional cleaner. I had to clean several things she missed.

After that exchange, I called the company and explained what just happened. I asked if indeed the price I pay "includes tip" and if I'm expected to tip more. The customer service person said "tip is included..they are paid very well". Which to me implied that they may not be tipped directly, but get a higher than typical wage. So I did a bit of digging and found out that these cleaning people are paid $21 per hour by the company. I have a couple of friends that use independent cleaning ladies and they charge $15-$18/hour.

So my question is for those that use regular cleaning services in NYC, what do you pay per hour? Is it an independent person or via a service? Do you tip them? If the service states the fee is all inclusive would you still tip extra? Also, how would you react to someone basically demanding a tip?
Disgusting.

I would have told her to leave. I would have spoken to a manager of her employer, explained what happened and told them never to send her again.

I have never tipped house cleaners.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
First, to me, the whole concept of tipping for cleaning is insane. Do you think that people who have a regular cleaning lady, an individual not through an agency, tip her each time? Of course not.

Second, the idea of being "supposed" to tip someone is wrong. In theory, you tip for exceptionally good service (as a friend of mine tried to explain when a cashier ran after us outside a restaurant when my friend refused to tip). But I wouldn't complain about it to the agency, because that might get her in trouble.

Third, I know this isn't what you're asking, but I have to say it: Your approach epitomizes to me a major thing that's wrong with the internet-based society. You've opted for a system that minimizes your contact (scheduling online), prevents you from having any relationship with your "inferiors," and involves extra money being skimmed off by middlemen not doing the work. A lot of people do things like this with the thought that they're saving money, but in your case you're probably paying more. Meanwhile, no cleaner gets to know your preferences, no cleaner has any sense of loyalty to you.

I've rarely used cleaning services, but they've generally been about $25/hour. No tipping involved. If I were you, I'd take the time to find myself an independent person who would get to keep every penny you pay. The last few times, I've tried people via Craigslist, and did fine.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Third, I know this isn't what you're asking, but I have to say it: Your approach epitomizes to me a major thing that's wrong with the internet-based society. You've opted for a system that minimizes your contact (scheduling online), prevents you from having any relationship with your "inferiors," and involves extra money being skimmed off by middlemen not doing the work.
For some of us it's not a matter of "inferiors". It's a matter of not wanting to navigate the social intricacies involved in hiring someone personally -- and that includes avoiding having to deal with tipping etiquette. Paying slightly more while reducing it to a simple business transaction is the tradeoff.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I got shaken down by the guy at JFK or La Guardia from American Airlines that checked me in curbside. nothing crazy, I already checked in on my phone and I brought my bag up to curbside check in and put my bag on the weigh station.

I was absolutely shocked the guy asked for a tip.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
For some of us it's not a matter of "inferiors". It's a matter of not wanting to navigate the social intricacies involved in hiring someone personally -- and that includes avoiding having to deal with tipping etiquette. Paying slightly more while reducing it to a simple business transaction is the tradeoff.
In general, there is a major trend toward avoid contact with service people - whether it's by ordering groceries online, buying gifts online, having your building super let in a repair man when you're not home, whatever - not just hiring people. You're absolutely right that people don't want to deal with the social "intricacies." Now that I think of it, that's probably one reason some men favor prostitutes.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Yes' it has nothing to do with convenience. I'd clearly much rather go out of my way to buy a 55 inch tv at best buy and have to carry it on my back through manhattan than order it online and it's sitting in my apartment when I get home from work. All so I don't have to talk to Simon, the cashier at best buy

Quote:
In general, there is a major trend toward avoid contact with service people - whether it's by ordering groceries online, buying gifts online, having your building super let in a repair man when you're not home, whatever - not just hiring people. You're absolutely right that people don't want to deal with the social "intricacies." Now that I think of it, that's probably one reason some men favor prostitutes.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
there is a major trend toward avoid contact with service people - that's probably one reason some men favor prostitutes.
Online??

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
First, to me, the whole concept of tipping for cleaning is insane. Do you think that people who have a regular cleaning lady, an individual not through an agency, tip her each time? Of course not.

Second, the idea of being "supposed" to tip someone is wrong. In theory, you tip for exceptionally good service (as a friend of mine tried to explain when a cashier ran after us outside a restaurant when my friend refused to tip). But I wouldn't complain about it to the agency, because that might get her in trouble.

Third, I know this isn't what you're asking, but I have to say it: Your approach epitomizes to me a major thing that's wrong with the internet-based society. You've opted for a system that minimizes your contact (scheduling online), prevents you from having any relationship with your "inferiors," and involves extra money being skimmed off by middlemen not doing the work. A lot of people do things like this with the thought that they're saving money, but in your case you're probably paying more. Meanwhile, no cleaner gets to know your preferences, no cleaner has any sense of loyalty to you.

I've rarely used cleaning services, but they've generally been about $25/hour. No tipping involved. If I were you, I'd take the time to find myself an independent person who would get to keep every penny you pay. The last few times, I've tried people via Craigslist, and did fine.
Funny that this comment is being posted on an Internet forum, the epitome of non face to face contact. I just find humor in that...

The internet facilitates ease for many things. That's the point of much of new services and business that pop up. It's not "how can I avoid talking to this service person" it's "how can I make this easier for me and my already busy schedule". Since I rarely carry cash and my bank is not as ubiquitous as Chase, it would be an inconvenience for me to make sure I have cash on hand to pay the cleaning lady. That's why I opted for a service that accepts cards. I know where I can hire a cleaning lady for $15/hour. She cleans my friend's place a few doors down. But that means I would have to go out of my way on my way home from work to stop by my bank ATM, get cash and make sure I have the exact amount (I'd pay her $45 based on that rate but the machine only spits out $20s...). In a city where people order from seamless and FreshDirect, drop off laundry, and order almost anything to their door, having to get cash for a service is an inconvenience. The no cash thing may seem silly to some, but a lot of people I know operate mostly cashless these days. I even just had to download Venmo recently so a friend could pay me back for concert tickets.

Also, with these types of cleaning services, they are (supposed to be) a convenience for the cleaning person as they can go into the online system on their end and pick the jobs that work best with their schedule. You have the ability to request the same person each time and they have the ability to request you again. In this case, this individual had booked ME for several future jobs. And I'm sure she got in trouble when I called the company. I'd get in trouble too if I did something inappropriate at work.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Men who favor prostitutes have no problem with intimate contact with service people.

I'm sure people like to have the super let in a repair man because they don't want to have contact with the repair man... has nothing to do with the fact that they might be working themselves when the repair man comes by. ROTFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City