Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

prior to the Times Sq cleanup and opening of Worldwide Plaza in 1989, on 8th Avenue between 47th and 50th, would one find prostitution and drug trafficking (along with the usual assortment of thieves, junkies, drunks etc) on that section or was it any "tamer" than it was farther down?

I remember back in the late 70's, I had told my mom that we were going into the city to hang out in the theater area. she said the theater area (7th/B'way in the 40s) was passable and reasonably safe, but to avoid the "sidestreets".

would 8th Avenue between 47th and 50th be considered the "sidestreets"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
8th Avenue is an avenue not a side street. Between 7th and 8th or 6th and Bway are side streets.

YES a lot of seedy things happened on side streets all the way down to Macy's between 7th and 8th ave. If you went down between 8th and 9th even more derelicts to see.

At one point in time the Garment District was just as dangerous as Times Square. I saw my first knife fight in the garment district...dealers would be ready to sell before the 9am work day....aaaaah the good ol days.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Even in the late 80's, I (female teenager) would not walk further down 49th street and 7th Ave. And 7th Avenue is not a side street. 7th Avenue was pretty bad. Can only image how 8th or 9th Avenue was. But anything above 49th St and 7th was ok. Don't know if things were any safer for guys but I've heard some guys say they didn't feel all that great walking around 7th thru 9th Ave between 49th thru 32nd St after midnight even during the 80's.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
8th Ave was the worst. Ninth in a way was scarier because there were no theaters closeby, just the "residents."

Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 AM

72 posts, read 127,517 times
First time I was in the city by myself was the summer of 1988. Our 8th grade class did a trip on the Circle Line. My buddy and I decided to take a walk to Playland in Times Sq. It was a scary walk. Pimps, hustlers, hoes, and boarded up stores, graffitti and garbage everywhere. My friend got mugged on 42 btwn 8th and 9th. Some dude snatched his gold chain.

Ahh the good old days!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 PM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
Most of Manhattan was bad in the 70s and 80s. Hells Kitchen was named HK for a reason, lol. I remember venturing into Manhattan sometime in the early 80s with a few friends. First off my friend's older brother got a ticket for smoking a cigarette on the subway platform, lol. I remember homeless people everywhere. We went to the Grace Building on West 42nd to see one of my friend's dad who worked there. Walking through Bryant Park was an eye opener. I must have been asked if I wanted "smoke", "sex", "coke" etc a few dozen times! As someone said "Ah the good old days".

Old 07-18-2014, 11:58 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Even the upper westside was icky. I remember going to some music publisher located in the 80s west of CPW who was interested in some work that I had done. This was a well-established smaller publsihing house, but walking around trying to find this place on this run down block with my big manuscript paper in an envelope under my arm, I couldn't wait to get out of there. The guy was interested, but ultimately, it didn't get published either.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Even the upper westside was icky. I remember going to some music publisher located in the 80s west of CPW who was interested in some work that I had done. This was a well-established smaller publsihing house, but walking around trying to find this place on this run down block with my big manuscript paper in an envelope under my arm, I couldn't wait to get out of there. The guy was interested, but ultimately, it didn't get published either.
Everyone should see Al Pacino "Panic In Needle Park". It happens on West 72 nd street.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,973 times
We lived in Hell's Kitchen (9th Avenue and 50th Street) in the mid-80's. There was definitely an element of sketch. 46th Street between 8th and 9th was nice because of Restaurant Row but a lot of the side streets were not so great. I thought 8th Avenue was the creepiest. Back then, there was a vacant lot where Worldwide Plaza is now.

Our building was a rehabbed tenement. There was a brothel on the ground floor which we later found out was run by the landlord. From time to time we'd get drunk Spanish guys ringing our buzzer looking for the brothel. But they were actually very nice and respectful and would help me carry groceries up the stairs. I would try to hate them but I really couldn't. When my mother came to visit from Chicago, she said to my husband, "How can you bring my baby to this awful neighborhood?!" LOL.

As far as we were concerned, the neighborhood was fine. It wasn't pretty but even back then it had some good bars and restaurants. We never felt unsafe. We were friends with our neighbors.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:44 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
I recall 9th Avenue in the 1980s was a popular strip with prostitutes and their pimps. They seemed to have cleaned it up, and now it's better known for the wide variety of mom and pop ethnic eateries and a big food festival every summer.

The area around Macy's (west side 30s and low 40s) is dominated by the garment trade. You'll see lots of trucks loading and unloading, millinery shops, wholesalers, takeout delis, etc. It's not pretty, but I wouldn't consider the area dangerous.

The city always seems to be repairing something there, and it's very difficult to get your car through these side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City