Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 AM

204 posts, read 292,026 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job working as an in-home clinical therapist in Brownsville, Brooklyn (specifically, community district 16.) The pay is so-so, but enough for me to get by on. My boyfriend and I currently live in Florida, so the fact that I was already offered a job (I applied a week ago) has me feeling pretty good. It's definitely a huge pay cut from what I make now, but it's also a foot in the door (and better than a previous post I wrote about moving without jobs.) My boyfriend does not get his results about the New York bar until November, so he could find temporary work until then, but it wouldn't be the best.

Anyway, I'm familiar with in-home counseling as I did that for three years in Florida; however, from the research I've done, Brownsville is a little different from the areas I have worked in. I've never actually been there though, and was curious on your thoughts about if this is a position I should seriously consider, or pass up and wait for something else because of the area.

I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to move with a job, but also don't want to settle on a job where I will feel unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 AM

624 posts, read 983,146 times
Brownsville is the most dangerous neighborhood in the entire NYC. I live in and spend a lot of time in the Bronx which many people are scared to go but I'd never live in Brownsville much less walk around there unless I had to for some reason. Consider carefully whether you really want to do this.

Also living in florida is cheap while living in NYC is very expensive even in the "bad" areas. Are you sure you'll be able to make it considering you're taking a pay cut and also increasing your cost of living at the same time?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,895 times
Yes, Brownsville is ghetto central, worse neighborhood in NYC. Even if you are an in-home aide, you don't want to be around there.

Couple with you taking a pay cut, I would pass. If you are planning on moving to NYC you have to take a pay raise not a pay cut. Don't do it, it's a very bad idea.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM

I'll actually be spending less in NYC than Florida because I won't have a car. Florida is not cheap either; NYC is more expensive, but Fort Lauderdale is not too far behind. I know that between my boyfriend doing temporary work, and this job, we'd be okay for a few months. What really concerns me is the location. I hate doing in-home therapy but I'm comfortable doing it in Florida because I'm familiar with the area. Since Brownsville, as you put it, is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods... it makes me think twice about accepting the position. I wasn't sure if the articles I was reading on the area is outdated or if they are in fact accurate.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Yes, Brownsville is ghetto central, worse neighborhood in NYC. Even if you are an in-home aide, you don't want to be around there.

Couple with you taking a pay cut, I would pass. If you are planning on moving to NYC you have to take a pay raise not a pay cut. Don't do it, it's a very bad idea.
Thanks. I think I'll let the company know I'll pass. Working as a clinical therapist in home is hard enough as it is, but working in an area like this will make it worse.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,066 times
I wouldn't do it. Brownsville was founded to be a ghetto (Jewish at first), I'd be surprised if it ever becomes livable. I have trouble acclimating to the surrounding neighborhoods East New York, East Flatbush, and Bedford Stuyvesant yet I don't mind going to the South Bronx, especially along the Concourse south of 167th st. I would pass.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I'll actually be spending less in NYC than Florida because I won't have a car. Florida is not cheap either; NYC is more expensive, but Fort Lauderdale is not too far behind. I know that between my boyfriend doing temporary work, and this job, we'd be okay for a few months. What really concerns me is the location. I hate doing in-home therapy but I'm comfortable doing it in Florida because I'm familiar with the area. Since Brownsville, as you put it, is one of the most dangerous neighborhoods... it makes me think twice about accepting the position. I wasn't sure if the articles I was reading on the area is outdated or if they are in fact accurate.
I think you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. There is no way that you not paying for a car is going to offset the increased costs of living in NYC. Plus, your bf having temporary work is not a good plan at all.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
I might get looked down on here for bringing up race but what race are you? Besides Brownsville being rough in general I'm sure it can be even worse for a white women in her 20's or 30's which I'm assuming you are. I'm sure if you're black or hispanic you'd fit in better.

EDIT: Looks like you already made a smart decision on declining.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Brownsville is the only residential neighborhood in NYC where I've seen cops on nearly every corner

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I might get looked down on here for bringing up race but what race are you? Besides Brownsville being rough in general I'm sure it can be even worse for a white women in her 20's or 30's which I'm assuming you are. I'm sure if you're black or hispanic you'd fit in better.

EDIT: Looks like you already made a smart decision on declining.
There aren't many Hispanics in Brownsville either from what I've seen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City