Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
You don't have to do drugs to get in trouble or be harassed by LE.
But you were doing something to get convicted, if you got convicted.

And yes, you were doing something if you constantly get in trouble or harassed by law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Actually you are incorrect about the laws regarding weed. There is no guarantee that an ACD will be given. Its completely up to the judge's discretion.As soon as you were arrested with a joint, you are in the system. That itself would disqualify from many govt jobs.

".. there are some other situations in which an ACD might be considered less advantageous than even pleading guilty to a violation offense like disorderly conduct. This strange situations are not related to the accused's situation within the criminal justice system. Rather they are related often to outside issues like immigration and employement issues. Federal Immigration law doesn't always understand or recognize the truth about the ACD in New York. Jobs and licensing agencies, including those that are connected to New York State often do not understand the ACD properly."

An arrest for possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana in a public place is classified as criminal possession of marijuana in the 5th degree (New York State Penal Law § 221.10), a Class B misdemeanor punishable by 3 months in jail.

This is what most young ppl in NYC regardless of color are hit with......A misdmeanor for a joint!

It doesn't what color you are but the fact is minorities are being targetted. When the hipsters in BK started getting picked by LE, then the debate on Stop n Frisk hit the headlines with force. Your focus is only on ppl loitering and engaging in anti social behaviors but what about ppl who do nothing wrong? The term antisocial has more than one meaning. You can be a reclusive and avodiant and still be labelled as Anti Social! In other words, you can totally mind your business and still be harrassed for no good reason.

I think you assume too much. Late night on corners? Presidents don't do this? Low class? Did you know Benjamin Franklin smoked marijuana? He didn't have to smoke in his apartment and hide form the police.

Why do you assume an education prevents you from getting locked up? You think folks from Harvard haven't been arrested?

I'm from America, where you have the freedom to act as a thug or scum ...as long as you don't break the law. Though loitering may be a crime on the books, it an issue of enforcement. Jaywalking, bicycling on the sidewalk, cycling without a helmet are laws that are broken all the time.

How about addressing the other points I made, instead of swerving off course. What's your thoughts on LE wearing body cams? How about all courts video recording proceedings live on the web?
It's a lack of intelligence that gets people repeatedly arrested and they deserve it, due to their lack of intelligence. If you can't figure out how to avoid trouble, then you deserve to due time just for your sheer stupidity.

How about that?

And yes, none of the former Presidents were smoking marijuana on street corners in bad neighborhoods, setting themselves up to get busted by the cops.

Thugs like you create an alternative universe where they can lie and lie and lie and lie.

Having lived in bad neighborhoods and having seen the police bust people, the vast majority of people who are busted by the cops are criminals.

As for why the city has the stance it does on so called "minorities" (even under de Blasio) put it like this.

A city government is defacto a business. They need revenue coming in. Big businesses and hipsters bring in revenue. The criminal minorities you worship take revenue away from the city with no positive contribution. Grown men hanging on the corner who apparently don't work and have nothing to do bring the neighborhood down, don't contribute in the form or work and taxes, but instead drain the city of servicesetc. So the city uses the NYPD to clear these antisocial elements out of certain neighborhoods in transition (Bedstuy, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, Ft. Greene), and the real estate industry, as well as certain investors (Columbia is expanding in Harlem) love it.

Frankly, I don't like people who blast music really loud, throw garbage out of their windows, or other low class ghetto behavior. To tell you the truth I completely despise them. On many issues I am liberal, but on how I feel about ghetto behavior I tend to agree with people like Airborneguy and Hilltopjay. I have no tolerance and no sympathy for trash. I don't. I moved out of such a hellhole neighborhood that I lived in for a few months too long and I've worked hard to be able to live in a much better place. So yes, I love the NYPD for all the good work they've done for the city. And I am happy certain people got pushed out of certain neighborhoods, in fact I celebrate it.

But back to the issue of services, I have no problem with law abiding poor people who are not disruptive. Just because you are poor doesn't make you a savage.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:31 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
Quote:
Actually you are incorrect about the laws regarding weed. There is no guarantee that an ACD will be given. Its completely up to the judge's discretion.As soon as you were arrested with a joint, you are in the system. That itself would disqualify from many govt jobs.

".. there are some other situations in which an ACD might be considered less advantageous than even pleading guilty to a violation offense like disorderly conduct. This strange situations are not related to the accused's situation within the criminal justice system. Rather they are related often to outside issues like immigration and employement issues. Federal Immigration law doesn't always understand or recognize the truth about the ACD in New York. Jobs and licensing agencies, including those that are connected to New York State often do not understand the ACD properly."

An arrest for possession of less than 2 ounces of marijuana in a public place is classified as criminal possession of marijuana in the 5th degree (New York State Penal Law § 221.10), a Class B misdemeanor punishable by 3 months in jail.

This is what most young ppl in NYC regardless of color are hit with......A misdmeanor for a joint!

It doesn't what color you are but the fact is minorities are being targetted. When the hipsters in BK started getting picked by LE, then the debate on Stop n Frisk hit the headlines with force. Your focus is only on ppl loitering and engaging in anti social behaviors but what about ppl who do nothing wrong? The term antisocial has more than one meaning. You can be a reclusive and avodiant and still be labelled as Anti Social! In other words, you can totally mind your business and still be harrassed for no good reason.

I think you assume too much. Late night on corners? Presidents don't do this? Low class? Did you know Benjamin Franklin smoked marijuana? He didn't have to smoke in his apartment and hide form the police.

Why do you assume an education prevents you from getting locked up? You think folks from Harvard haven't been arrested?

I'm from America, where you have the freedom to act as a thug or scum ...as long as you don't break the law. Though loitering may be a crime on the books, it an issue of enforcement. Jaywalking, bicycling on the sidewalk, cycling without a helmet are laws that are broken all the time.

How about addressing the other points I made, instead of swerving off course. What's your thoughts on LE wearing body cams? How about all courts video recording proceedings live on the web?
Civil service asks about convictions not arrests. A misdemeanor may bar you from employment a felony will bar you.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,064,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
So guess who got arrested last night on assault charges......DRUM ROLL PLEASE! It's CHRISSIE ORTIZ!

That's right ladies and gentlemen, the wife of 25 time arrested and convicted felon Orta has been arrested on assault charges stemming from an altercation with another women.

This isn't even a story, truth be told it's a non-story. It's just another day in the hood.

Chrissie Ortiz, wife of Ramsey Orta, arrested on assault charges, police say | SILive.com
What a cougar. The wife is 30 years old and Orta is only 22. Wtf?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,589,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's a lack of intelligence that gets people repeatedly arrested and they deserve it, due to their lack of intelligence. If you can't figure out how to avoid trouble, then you deserve to due time just for your sheer stupidity.

How about that?

And yes, none of the former Presidents were smoking marijuana on street corners in bad neighborhoods, setting themselves up to get busted by the cops.

Thugs like you create an alternative universe where they can lie and lie and lie and lie.

Having lived in bad neighborhoods and having seen the police bust people, the vast majority of people who are busted by the cops are criminals.

As for why the city has the stance it does on so called "minorities" (even under de Blasio) put it like this.

A city government is defacto a business. They need revenue coming in. Big businesses and hipsters bring in revenue. The criminal minorities you worship take revenue away from the city with no positive contribution. Grown men hanging on the corner who apparently don't work and have nothing to do bring the neighborhood down, don't contribute in the form or work and taxes, but instead drain the city of servicesetc. So the city uses the NYPD to clear these antisocial elements out of certain neighborhoods in transition (Bedstuy, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, Ft. Greene), and the real estate industry, as well as certain investors (Columbia is expanding in Harlem) love it.

Frankly, I don't like people who blast music really loud, throw garbage out of their windows, or other low class ghetto behavior. To tell you the truth I completely despise them. On many issues I am liberal, but on how I feel about ghetto behavior I tend to agree with people like Airborneguy and Hilltopjay. I have no tolerance and no sympathy for trash. I don't. I moved out of such a hellhole neighborhood that I lived in for a few months too long and I've worked hard to be able to live in a much better place. So yes, I love the NYPD for all the good work they've done for the city. And I am happy certain people got pushed out of certain neighborhoods, in fact I celebrate it.

But back to the issue of services, I have no problem with law abiding poor people who are not disruptive. Just because you are poor doesn't make you a savage.
I have to say that I agree with you on this!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM

250 posts, read 269,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

How about that?

There you have it folks!

And who hell here is defending hoodlums here? Orta and Garner's past doesn't change the fact that NYPD officers in the Garner video applied a choke hold that lead to the man's death where force wasn't necessary. Just think, the SMALLEST of infractions by anyone can lead to your death and you find no qualms about it. The issue is not "cops are bad" but rather bad cops, overzealous cops, cops who are very judgmental of people who don't look like them are abusing their power with impunity and that needs to stop.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
There are so many people of all colors that have no arrest record (or even just a couple of arrests under their belts) that need the proper resources just to survive. Why waste the energy on people being arrested 20 or 30 times? I cannot even comprehend that someone can be arrested that many times without eventually getting killed or put in prison forever.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,937,450 times
Quote:
Well, here's the thing. Mayor Bloomberg had no issue with cams recording us live 24-7 and ppl protested, he famously replied times have changed, get used to it. Why is it when LE or govt is aske dto record themselves for the safety and security of the public, questions and barriers are brought up?
Right, no doubt. I never said that these issues were not marshaled selectively.
In fact, people should also be vigilant about that. The privacy thing around big data is just a huge open field, scarcely even defined precisely.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,451 times

Hope the alleged victim wasn't the 17-year-old stopped while leaving the motel with Orta!
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
NYPD officers ... applied a choke hold ... where force wasn't necessary
Where in that video, did you see any evidence that this 350-400 pound subject, who probably weighed more than both officers combined, was going to comply & submit to arrest? He spent several minutes waving his hands, telling them it "ends today" & arguing his case on the sidewalk. The video appears edited, so we don't know how long this phase took. The officers were calm & patient, until back-up arrived. Then, when they finally moved towards him, he backed away. He was never going to voluntarily submit, for whatever reason, despite having gone through the arrest process 30+ prior times.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There are so many people of all colors that have no arrest record (or even just a couple of arrests under their belts) that need the proper resources just to survive. Why waste the energy on people being arrested 20 or 30 times? I cannot even comprehend that someone can be arrested that many times without eventually getting killed or put in prison forever.
That's just it. Those people eventually kill each other, get killed by cops, get diseases like him that they never get medical attention for and die, or overdose on drugs. The survival rate of this population is low. That's helped keep down crime. Some get locked forever. Others die from diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, and bad hearts made by their life styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City