Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 PM

209 posts, read 313,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering what are servants on the upper east side like? I have noticed the following:

1. the Chauffers, doormen, and even maids seem very formal and elegant, and polished.

2. Some have been in the same job for ages.

Just wondering:

1. How much do household staff on the upper east side get paid?

2. How do they get those jobs?

3. What are such people like personality wise?

4. How do the servants on the upper east side aquire the air of elegance, and old money accent and mannerisms that they often display? Are they like that in private?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Why dont you ask all the people you are observing for the best, most accurate description.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Just wondering what are servants on the upper east side like? I have noticed the following:

1. the Chauffers, doormen, and even maids seem very formal and elegant, and polished.

2. Some have been in the same job for ages.

Just wondering:

1. How much do household staff on the upper east side get paid?

2. How do they get those jobs?

3. What are such people like personality wise?

4. How do the servants on the upper east side aquire the air of elegance, and old money accent and mannerisms that they often display? Are they like that in private?

Thanks
1. Yes.

2. Ditto, although for some this can change on a dime, someone gets fed up (could be them).

1. More than people realize. Often "off the books," usually the choice of the employer.

2. Word of mouth. PA knows someone who is an artist but does "gardening," or similar. I helped a few Harlem people get jobs, a driver, one gardener, with people I knew. I did then warn them before they started about the insanity particular to whomever.

3. Obsequious by necessity. Resentment builds sometimes, see 2. above. How long can anyone cater to sets of narcissistic pseudo-"aristocrats."

4. Training. It's called doing what you need to in order to get by. They are normal in private, which you can even observe in context if you engage to them normally.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Why dont you ask all the people you are observing for the best, most accurate description.
Won't work if they do not trust you - I have observed.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I'm not going to answer all of your questions, but I will point out one thing. You need to separate these people into two groups. There are the personal servants (maids, nannies, personal drivers, etc..) These people generally cut whatever deal they can with their employers, either the people they work for directly, or an agency that acts as an intermediary.

The other group are the building workers (doormen, concierges, porters, supers, handymen, etc..) In big, full service buildings, they tend to be unionized (Local 32BJ of SEIU), and except for the supers, their wages are dictated by union scale and seniority. Unless they do something very wrong, it's tough to get rid of one, so they tend to stay a long time. Also, they tend to get tips, and get paid to do side jobs from building residents, so they have a good source of extra cash. The tend to move up the food chain in the building, IE start out as a porter then move to handyman, then doorman, then super. I have a feeling that most people being hired new either have connections with other building employees, or work at other buildings managed by the same management company. I don't think you see too many help wanted ads for these positions.

In a full service building, the super is much more of a manager, and can have a dozen or more people working for him. They have their own union contract, and salary is more variable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City