Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,994,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
I think this story highlights the major problem with rent regulation: inheritance of leases. It has created an entire class of entitled offspring and hangers-on who are determined to live nicely at the expense of others. All young Johnny needs to do is list his primary residence as granny's place for the last few years of her life and, presto, he inherits a nice piece of the UWS for 800 a month. (The landlord, of course, is left to pick up the tab.)

RC and RS were introduced at a very different stage of NY history. Nowadays, they're an anachronism and toxic to the commonwealth. The usual justification is 'I'm n-th generation and I deserve it', which is laughably specious and rather unique to NY.

The authorities could fix this by simply amending the legislation to nix inheritance of all current leases. Current tenants can hold on to their homes and landlords can be assured their properties will become useful again at some point.

The solution to housing affordability is not rent regulation. That just benefits a few privileged people at the expense of the commonwealth. Rather, the solution is supply. Let's focus on increasing that.
You could basically live anywhere in the state of SC for $800 per month. Pick a place lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
She's probably rent controlled, as opposed to rent stabilized. No lease necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Correct, she's a legacy tenant in an apartment that is a month to month.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,645 times
Prime example of stupid NYC Rent Control/Rent Stabilization laws. It needs to be abolished or reformed to take away succession rights and guaranteed lease renewals.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times
I hope she wins her case. I don't care if she's worth a gazillion dollars.

Until she dies, the apartment is her's, fair and square.

If he wants her out, then make her an offer she can't refuse.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Figures YOU would say that. I'm also waiting for KK to chime in on this and support it. Go fly a kite Marilyn!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Figures YOU would say that. I'm also waiting for KK to chime in on this and support it. Go fly a kite Marilyn!
He knew she was living there when he bought the place. This is the chance HE took when he purchased the building. If he wants her out, then he needs to offer her something that will make it worth her while.

I'm sure she's not broke and has a contingency plan in place she is kicked out, but why pay for it herself when she can make him do it.

For what it's worth, I don't believe in grandfathering in people on your lease as though it's property. There's something weird about it, but it was obviously started for a reason due to unscrupulous landlord activity.

I still remember the horror stories I was told about what landlords would do to get people out of their Manhattan apartments throughout the 70s/80s/early 90s.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
the major problem with rent regulation: inheritance of leases. ...
fix this by simply amending the legislation to nix inheritance of all current leases.
But, no one has, and apparently no one will.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,858 times
the only people who should have rent control or stabilized apartments are senior citizens (65+), or physically handicapped people with no succession rights. Once the senior citizen/physically handicapped person dies, the apt goes back on the market.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

So you are ok with a rich person receiving the benefits that a poor or middle class person should be receiving???

She doesn't OWN the apt so it is not hers.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
I'm a little confused, it would have to be RC, but even RC apartments get increases over the years as there is a formula to calculate the increase. My company owns a building and there are RC tenants and they do get increases. I would have also thought the old LL would have of had a lease for her when her husband passed away, or maybe it didn't matter

I do agree though that when then the original tenant that's name is on the lease dies, the lease then should die as well, other than a spouse......not the niece, not the nephew, not the grandkid...etc.

I do not believe in family members all waiting in line to live in the apartment. The apartment is rented by Mr and Mrs X, when they die, the lease should become null and void and on to the next tenants. I agree with the others, I think RC and RS should come to an end once and for all.

Another thing that always ceases to amaze me, is the RC RS tenants all complain of the terrible conditions and all the violations of the building, yet for some odd reason, they still stay. If it is that bad, move.

Also about the amount of violations, even though 201 violations sound a bit insane, a lot of them are stupid violations like "the kitchen cabinet door handle is missing a screw", stupid stuff like that. A tin can is laying in the hallway.....branches and leaves laying in the courtyard.....etc

But, she is - was the wife of the original tenant, so she really is entitled to live there. She was living there for over 23 years already.I just dont understand why the old LL never raised the trent, he must have been really stupid.

Everybody knows, (well I think they should), that you dont buy a building with a RC ternant on the top floor....unless of course you make a deal with them before any legal documentaion is made before the purchase of the buildng....stating the building will be delivered vacant and the tenant is paid X amount of dollars to surrender his / her tenancy......

Last edited by nightcrawler; 08-06-2014 at 06:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City