Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He knew she was living there when he bought the place. This is the chance HE took when he purchased the building. If he wants her out, then he needs to offer her something that will make it worth her while.

I'm sure she's not broke and has a contingency plan in place she is kicked out, but why pay for it herself when she can make him do it.

For what it's worth, I don't believe in grandfathering in people on your lease as though it's property. There's something weird about it, but it was obviously started for a reason due to unscrupulous landlord activity.

I still remember the horror stories I was told about what landlords would do to get people out of their Manhattan apartments throughout the 70s/80s/early 90s.

I have to agree with this. This was not a shock him, he already knew. What he should have done was make her an offer before he bought the building, thus avoiding all the hassles of lawyers and court crap.....but he didnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 05:54 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,732,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
at first i thought the lady was going to be really old in poor health and poor. But based on the below pic, it looks like her royal highness can afford market rent. (look at those pearls!!! omg!!; look at that royal posture!!)))
She has good posture, is attractive and has a pearl necklage ---- what does that prove?? Absolutely nothing.

She is ENTITLED to the apartment at the rent controlled price she has. And, if she has children and they decide to move in with her, they will have succession rights. If the landlord/new owner doesn't like it, tough beans on him!

He saw the rent roll before he purchased the building. Just because he walks in and tells her "I want you out" doesn't mean she has to go anywhere. If he doesn't like it, he shouldn't have purchased the property.

I hope she lives to be 100 and I hope her children and grandchildren move in with her!

Oh, and I guess if the LL can afford $10.1M to buy the building, he can afford a paltry $3M to buy her out of the apartment.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
The apartment also has 201 violations under the new landlord. It's crumbling around her basically but for $390 a month I suppose she's happy to deal with the conditions. It's the only residential unit in the building so the lack of maintenance is not affecting other renters. She claims she and her husband have spent thousands per month over the years making repairs, etc to the unit.

Per the full article, the only leased signed by her late husband expired in 1977. The tenancy has been month to month since. That's 37 years! The landlord was within his rights to give his 30 days notice for her to move.

Direct quote from this lady, “It pains me to leave, but he must be reasonable,” she said. “I am accustomed to a certain lifestyle, and he cannot just throw me out.” Get over yourself.

If I'm not mistaken, if the apartment is under RC/RS, there has to be a lease in place/.

Don't you think that if it was as easy as giving 30 days' notice, the LL and the prior LL would have done so already??? She is protected by the law and he cannot get her out unless she agrees to a buyout.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,244,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
if the LL can afford $10.1M to buy the building, he can afford a paltry $3M to buy her out of the apartment.
Paltry?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,768,168 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, if the apartment is under RC/RS, there has to be a lease in place/.

Don't you think that if it was as easy as giving 30 days' notice, the LL and the prior LL would have done so already??? She is protected by the law and he cannot get her out unless she agrees to a buyout.
She was served with an eviction notice and asked the court to dismiss it. The court has denied the motion to do so. Housing court is always strongly on the side of the tenant in my experience. I think it's telling that the judge ruled against her.

Funny enough the LL wasn't aware she was 2nd wife and not the first wife named on the expired 1977 lease. She now has to prove her occupancy to the courts.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM

37,178 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Such better publicity if the landlord had evicted everyone else, allowed her to stay and tried to eke out an endorsement from her. She's not going to live for all that much longer anyhow.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Such better publicity if the landlord had evicted everyone else, allowed her to stay and tried to eke out an endorsement from her. She's not going to live for all that much longer anyhow.
She's the only residential unit/tenant The street level is a restaurant. The article notes that he owns an adjacent property and the probability is he wants to join the two. If that's his intention and he plans on tearing down the structure h
Under the law he can evict her.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 AM

19 posts, read 31,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I'm a little confused, it would have to be RC, but even RC apartments get increases over the years as there is a formula to calculate the increase. My company owns a building and there are RC tenants and they do get increases.
I believe the previous landlord didn't want to spend any dime maintaining the building. The previous landlord didn't care to send the lease renewal or other paperwork to the tenant as he couldn't increase the rent for many years. With so many violations and the it is probably inhibited to increase the RC tenant's rent unless these violations have been fixed.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
She was served with an eviction notice and asked the court to dismiss it. The court has denied the motion to do so. Housing court is always strongly on the side of the tenant in my experience. I think it's telling that the judge ruled against her.

Funny enough the LL wasn't aware she was 2nd wife and not the first wife named on the expired 1977 lease. She now has to prove her occupancy to the courts.
\

It doesn't matter if she was on the lease or not. She was married to him. Easy enough to prove occupancy.... tax returns, utility bills, etc.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
\

It doesn't matter if she was on the lease or not. She was married to him. Easy enough to prove occupancy.... tax returns, utility bills, etc.
That's what they're requiring of her now, paper trail proof. This is what gets my goat, she's more than willing to move for the right sum of money. Pure greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City