Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Old school NYC neighborhoods suck! I love the new NYC and the new Queens (LIC, Astoria are awesome, and I'm loving the changes in Jackson Heights and Elmhurst.) Cooler people moved in NYC neighborhoods.
I like those changes as well in and around those nabes. But excluding Astoria they haven't been old school NYC nabes for awhile now, if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I like those changes as well in and around those nabes. But excluding Astoria they haven't been old school NYC nabes for awhile now, if ever.

I say we bring it back to the old days such as depicted in the movie "Coming to America" (classic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjoVAgqp4s

Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Old school NYC neighborhoods suck! I love the new NYC and the new Queens (LIC, Astoria are awesome, and I'm loving the changes in Jackson Heights and Elmhurst.) Cooler people moved in NYC neighborhoods.
And if they suck so much, why do they seem to end up being most popular? For example, Williamsburg and South Brooklyn.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 PM

575 posts, read 672,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It takes a couple of dead new citizens for the police to clean up the area then things may start looking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
it's incredible how brokers will lead naive out of towner kids to live in these neighborhoods.
Vision and Hairy Guy, what in the world are you guys talking about. That article said nothing about the guy who got shot was new to the area, or was a naive out of towner led there by the hand by some broker.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Quote:
Have you been to Ridgewood lately? Neighborhood has changed a decent amount since I moved out in 2010. A lot more hipsters, bike lanes, new condos etc.

Can't get more old school then East Harlem though. Classic NYC ghetto.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And if they suck so much, why do they seem to end up being most popular? For example, Williamsburg and South Brooklyn.
Williamsburg is not an old school NYC neighborhood by far! It's rapidly changed in the last few years alone.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Williamsburg is not an old school NYC neighborhood by far! It's rapidly changed in the last few years alone.
Williamsburg used to be as old school NYC of a neighborhood as you could get. You can still see hints of it down Metro or Graham.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Can't get more old school then East Harlem though. Classic NYC ghetto.
By old school I'm not talking about '70s style crack cocaine ghettos. That we still have plenty of lingering around, e.g., East Harlem, BedStuy, ENY, Bushwick, etc...

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Williamsburg still has old school remnants. Example South side Williamsburg still has heavy Hispanic presence. Also Williamsburg plays host to an Italian American festival. These are all bastions of what was once old school Williamsburg and still exist but again time and money go hand in hand and these elements may disappear.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Williamsburg still has old school remnants. Example South side Williamsburg still has heavy Hispanic presence. Also Williamsburg plays host to an Italian American festival. These are all bastions of what was once old school Williamsburg and still exist but again time and money go hand in hand and these elements may disappear.
Don't forget the Jewish areas along Lee Avenue. Drove through ther awhile back and felt like I went through a time warp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City