Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,293 times

Advertisements

To Whom it May Concern, I am writing on behalf of my parents, both retired over 50 + years of working who have been homeless residing with me in a 1 bedroom overcrowded for the past 3 years. Nycha had denied them 4 applications due to income error on nychas behalf. After 2 1/2 years of pursuing this error nycha finally rectified their mistakes and my parents application was finally found eligible, only to be put on a 5-6 year waiting list. My dad is in dire need of hospital equipment, hospital bed, walker, commode, wheelchair access in my apartment which I have no room for. He is 86 years old my Mom 74. I cook, clean take care of them both, am disabled myself. There have been many empty apts in Fulton over the past 3 years. If nycha would not have overlooked the mistakes for the past 3 years my parents would have had an opportunity to have been offered an apartment long ago. In the past year, Manager of our development Mr Chan, sent me letter that my parents must leave. So In other words to put my parents out on the street. In the mean time, in the past year which is a coincidence that 80% of empty apts in Fulton have been given to Asian, & Oriental families, since Mr Chan was appointed manager. My parents have been in Chelsea over 50+ years and are being forced out. My Dad & Mom cannot return to their 5th floor walk up. Is the system just waiting for my Dad to pass. I contacted Stauss Houses where their application was sent, only to be told that there is a 5-6 year waiting list. This is absurd, my parents are living out of suitcases. This is our system today, and it's discusting. 4 generations in Chelsea my parents & myself retired, my daughter a John Jay graduate & my granddaughters honor roll students. Never once crossed paths with the law, always have done the right thing. My granddaughter 12 is a summer volunteer at p.s.11.. Is this not the kind of role models society is looking for. I have no where to turn, and am reaching out to you as a last resort. Thank You for your time & attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 AM

298 posts, read 707,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylite1010 View Post
To Whom it May Concern, I am writing on behalf of my parents, both retired over 50 + years of working who have been homeless residing with me in a 1 bedroom overcrowded for the past 3 years. Nycha had denied them 4 applications due to income error on nychas behalf. After 2 1/2 years of pursuing this error nycha finally rectified their mistakes and my parents application was finally found eligible, only to be put on a 5-6 year waiting list. My dad is in dire need of hospital equipment, hospital bed, walker, commode, wheelchair access in my apartment which I have no room for. He is 86 years old my Mom 74. I cook, clean take care of them both, am disabled myself. There have been many empty apts in Fulton over the past 3 years. If nycha would not have overlooked the mistakes for the past 3 years my parents would have had an opportunity to have been offered an apartment long ago. In the past year, Manager of our development Mr Chan, sent me letter that my parents must leave. So In other words to put my parents out on the street. In the mean time, in the past year which is a coincidence that 80% of empty apts in Fulton have been given to Asian, & Oriental families, since Mr Chan was appointed manager. My parents have been in Chelsea over 50+ years and are being forced out. My Dad & Mom cannot return to their 5th floor walk up. Is the system just waiting for my Dad to pass. I contacted Stauss Houses where their application was sent, only to be told that there is a 5-6 year waiting list. This is absurd, my parents are living out of suitcases. This is our system today, and it's discusting. 4 generations in Chelsea my parents & myself retired, my daughter a John Jay graduate & my granddaughters honor roll students. Never once crossed paths with the law, always have done the right thing. My granddaughter 12 is a summer volunteer at p.s.11.. Is this not the kind of role models society is looking for. I have no where to turn, and am reaching out to you as a last resort. Thank You for your time & attention.
Can you put your father in a nursing home, paid by Medicaid?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
There may be some resources here Department for the Aging - Housing Resources

Old 08-19-2014, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
Hi. My dad & mom are very much capable of taking care of themselves, it's just the living situation that is not suitable for us. I received a letter from nycha over the weekend which states that their extension to reside with me has lapsed. So am I suppose to put them out in the street. Two parents who have worked a combined 55 years plus, good upstanding citizens to society and this is what they get in return. Being dragged through the mud. It's a disgrace, 4 generations in Chelsea always did the right thing, active with Chelsea coalition over 40 years, & reaching out to many public officials with no one being able to assist them. We have always came out to vote, stood behind our congressman, senators, & all politicians who have reached out for our vote. So now that they are in dire need of help, there has been no action whatsoever to assists them in any way. By the way the letter from nycha states that I too am in jeopardy of termination, because my parents cannot continue to reside with me. If anyone can suggest any proper channels I can take please, feel free. Ty for your time & attention. Be safe. This is a second letter in three months in regard to my parents extension. Even after the Manager Mr Chan received a call from nycha official from nycha's downtown office to confirm my parents are on a waiting list.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM

298 posts, read 707,296 times
Quote:
Hi. My dad & mom are very much capable of taking care of themselves, it's just the living situation that is not suitable for us. I received a letter from nycha over the weekend which states that their extension to reside with me has lapsed. So am I suppose to put them out in the street. Two parents who have worked a combined 55 years plus, good upstanding citizens to society and this is what they get in return. Being dragged through the mud. It's a disgrace, 4 generations in Chelsea always did the right thing, active with Chelsea coalition over 40 years, & reaching out to many public officials with no one being able to assist them. We have always came out to vote, stood behind our congressman, senators, & all politicians who have reached out for our vote. So now that they are in dire need of help, there has been no action whatsoever to assists them in any way. By the way the letter from nycha states that I too am in jeopardy of termination, because my parents cannot continue to reside with me. If anyone can suggest any proper channels I can take please, feel free. Ty for your time & attention. Be safe. This is a second letter in three months in regard to my parents extension. Even after the Manager Mr Chan received a call from nycha official from nycha's downtown office to confirm my parents are on a waiting list.
Your family has been in public housing for decades and you want a medal?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
NYC....the city of Entitlement.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
What happened to the apt they had before they became homeless? Do they not get social security? Disability? Have any more from all this years of working?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Most people who need a place to live would rent an apartment. Surely after 50 years of working and being such upstanding citizens, they must have a fair amount saved. And it sounds like they have lived rent free for the past 3 years, and in a very cheap apartment prior to that, so they had plenty of opportunity to save.

Perhaps the reason you haven't been helped by the local politicians is because that's not their job to find cheap housing for all their constituents.

It's funny that the only reason you can come up with that your parents didn't get the subsidized apartment you think they deserve is because there is an Asian person in charge who is supposedly discriminating against them due to their race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: