Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

does anyone know what has to be done to register and license a motorcycle in NY?

I want to go to the Queens Vespa to take a look at the Typhoon 50 which appears to be the cheapest. its also listed under "Piaggio" on the vespa website

ive been told the test is easy and you take a road test on a scooter. is it common sense or do you need prior cycling?

i assume one could take the road test without having yet purchased the bike but in order to register it youd have to purchase the bike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM

257 posts, read 685,411 times
Getting a motorcycle endorsement is very easy if you have a driver's license. You take the MSF Basic Rider course at the location that's most convenient for you, they give you a paper that you passed the course and then you take that to the DMV to get a nice big M on your license. Way easier than trying to schedule a road test, find someone to drive the examiner and find a scooter, plus you'll learn how to ride a manual transmission motorcycle in the course. You could probably pass the road test if you know how to drive, how to ride a bicycle and familiarize yourself with the controls of a scooter, but I highly recommend that you don't go that route - training is the number one thing that will make riding safer for you and for those around you.

If you're buying a new scooter registration is something the dealership takes care of. You get the bike with a temp plate and registration, a week or two later you go back to get your permanent documents - the price of that service is included with the bike.

Finally, Queens Vespa is a pretty nice place. I don't ride scooters, but I take my motorcycle there once a year for its inspection and the folks are always very pleasant to deal with. With that said, if you're looking for the cheapest scooter possible, you are probably much better off with something second-hand.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:10 PM

would this Typhoon 50 be a motorcycle or a scooter? can it be test driven at the dealer(never drove a motorized bike before) or I guess you need to be licensed to do that? from what the DMV classifies it looks like it falls under classification A because the top speed is 40 mph

BTW, thanks for the info

Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM

since the top speed is only 40 mph this Typhoon would not be allowed on highways I assume but would be allowed to be driven on local streets?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 AM

Once a scooter is class A it's indistinguishable from a motorcycle: same licensing requirements and it's allowed to go on any street, including highways (any lane). In NYC there are few, if any minimum speed limits, and they're never over 40. Now, whether it's a good idea to get on the LIE with that bike... different question. Having cars consistently fly by you at a 20 mph speed difference can be a pretty uncomfortable experience.

You're welcome, feel free to pile on the questions. You might also find NY Motorcycle & Scooter Task Force | Working towards a motorcycle-friendly New York a useful resource.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 AM

is there a such thing as a test drive at the dealer without a license?

"Way easier than trying to schedule a road test, find someone to drive the examiner and find a scooter, plus you'll learn how to ride a manual transmission motorcycle in the course"

psycho could you explain what you meant by the above quote. do i have to bring a scooter to the road test? I guess so. what if i don't know anyone who has one?

thanks psycho

Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM

psycho, do people ride these in the winter? can they be kept outside in the winter or do they need to be garaged in the winter?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 AM

For a motorcycle road test you need a scooter/motorcycle, a car, and a friend to drive the examiner around in that car. Way too much pain if you ask me, and getting a test scheduled can be hard as well, from what I've heard. Everything is included in the price of a class: motorcycle, helmet, instruction, completion certificate, which you exchange for an endorsement at the DMV. Plus taking the class will teach you things which you would have a pretty hard time figuring out on your own.

People do ride in the winter. Scooters can actually be better in the cold, because your legs are not exposed to the cold in the way that they are on most regular motorcycles. Riding on snow is definitely not recommended though, so if we have a winter like the last one again the utility of the scooter will be somewhat limited. They can be kept outside, snow/cold won't do much damage to it, but salt will cause corrosion. Again, scooters have an advantage in that respect, because they typically don't have as much metal exposed to the atmosphere as a regular motorcycle.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM

looks like the biggest problem would be finding someone with a scooter. i don't know anyone except for a co worker who has a little Honda but I don't know if it qualifies as a scooter for road test purposes. in these courses are you provided with a scooter to learn how to drive one?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

the class isn't connected to the road test in terms of providing me with a scooter to take the test? that would be on me to find a scooter for the test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: