Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

300 posts, read 375,477 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering what are other people's experiences with customer service when eating at restaurants or receiving take-out? The service seems to be either good or subpar, and it's rare to receive service without some sort of attitude being given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,075,321 times
I don't see an attitude...I see total indifference. Just doesn't seem to matter if you are a customer or not..you're just another face.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I've been wondering what are other people's experiences with customer service when eating at restaurants or receiving take-out? The service seems to be either good or subpar, and it's rare to receive service without some sort of attitude being given.

Can you give examples? Don't know where you're dining, but I've never gotten an attitude at a restaurant. Sometimes servers are over worked because maybe they're short staffed and they might not be super happy but I've never gotten an attitude. They might forget to ask if I need another drink or something but when I see a crowded restaurant with 3 servers handling 20 tables, I let it go. Servers rely on tips so it would be in their best interest to NOT give an attitude lol

There's a Chinese take-out by my house. It's one of the best in the neighborhood. When I order on a Friday or Saturday night, I don't ask for substitutions or complain if I have to wait longer than usual because I see the stress and pressure they're under.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,624,071 times
Never have been given an attitude. Oftentimes I end up striking an interesting conversation with the waiter/waitress and it just feels down to earth. Other times it's that "another face" mentality. I think it's warranted, I'd be stressed too if I worked in the restaurant biz in the popular places in Manhattan. I did my time in retail back in college, if it ain't for you, you get tired of people really fast!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 PM

300 posts, read 375,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Can you give examples? Don't know where you're dining, but I've never gotten an attitude at a restaurant. Sometimes servers are over worked because maybe they're short staffed and they might not be super happy but I've never gotten an attitude. They might forget to ask if I need another drink or something but when I see a crowded restaurant with 3 servers handling 20 tables, I let it go. Servers rely on tips so it would be in their best interest to NOT give an attitude lol

There's a Chinese take-out by my house. It's one of the best in the neighborhood. When I order on a Friday or Saturday night, I don't ask for substitutions or complain if I have to wait longer than usual because I see the stress and pressure they're under.
Mainly in Manhattan, but outside of Manhattan as well. I almost feel like the service at times can be superficial and based solely on the amount of the tip that they're looking for. There are of course exceptions to this as is the case in anything. A lot of the places I order from I tend to be served by immigrants, some of whom don't speak English that well so it could just be a language barrier. Sometimes I get the impression that these people deal with customers who are well established and here they are working hard to make ends meet and perhaps there's a bit of animosity. The interesting thing is that most of the places I frequent seem to have spotty customer service based on the reviews of other customers, and I just wonder if it's an issue with New York establishments in general.

You get a lot of turnover in most establishments here and you either deal with young teenagers (some of whom aren't necessarily trained on how to provide customer service), and lots of immigrants who are new arrivals that don't mean to be rude, but their lack of English can be a problem, as they aren't familiar with American customs. For example, sometimes when I receive deliveries, I may ask the delivery person a question. They may smile or laugh and walk away when I'm expecting an answer to the question I asked, such as where is an item that I ordered, etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 AM

43,783 posts, read 44,554,230 times
I haven't noticed any attitude issues either.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:37 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,337,735 times
While not every restaurant/eatery staff member will swoon over me, I generally haven't had an issue with attitude while eating/taking out. The few times I have had a problem, I vowed never to return to the establishment again and, in the more serious cases, walked right out of the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: