Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,737 times

Advertisements

Funny thing that just occured to me -- A while ago, I took the wrong train uptown and was supposed to get off somewhere around 95th/Broadway. Whole time I thought I was on the 1-train but it was actually the L (or the R, don't remember...was too confused LOL). I realized my mistake a little too late (was busy playing with my phone) and ended up somewhere deep in Harlem, where I got off immediately, trying to get to the other entrance of the station.

Outside, of course, is your usual "ghetto." To my right was an extremely run-down building, graffiti on the sides. Looked like an apartment building of some sort, most likely a housing project. What surprised me was that parked outside on the curb was at least 1 high classed BMW. During my time there, a Ferrari blasted down the street (windows open, rap music pumping out), its driver wearing a muscle shirt. Behind me were several guys standing around another BMW, all wearing muscle shirts and jerseys. So picture this scene here, an extremely ghetto neighborhood where some people looked like they could barely afford rags and children looked very hungry and yet, right next to this are guys driving BMWs and Ferraris...in front of what looked like an NYC housing project. How is this possible? Is this all drug money or what? I had visited Chicago a while back and I remember seeing something similar there too, when we passed by the ghetto area.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
The L train doesn't go to Harlem; neither does the R train. Can you remember what train you were on (if this is not a troll post)?. And just because the cars were parked in front of the housing project doesn't mean that the drivers actually lived there.

Of course they could have been drug dealers and you were lucky that they didn't take your phone and kill you on the spot.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Yeah, seems really strange to assume you were in Harlem if you were on the L or R. Bushwick would be more believable, maybe even Brownsville or East New York. I doubt you went all the way to Jamaica. Also seems really strange to mistake anything but the 2 and 3 for the 1 train considering they're color coded red while the R is a bright yellow and the L is grey.

Maybe you got off in the Bronx in Mott Haven or something?

Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
LOL, apparently a lost/confused troll or some other sort ...

There are a few gems scattered all around NYC hoods so the OP's fuss is laughable at the best.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM

300 posts, read 374,944 times
Wherever he was it was definitely drug money OR some guy living in his parents residence in the housing projects and working a low end job spending all of his money on the monthly car payments. Last weekend I went to the supermarket, and walking out I see a guy that works as a cashier in the supermarket cleaning his car which was a Lexus IIRC. I did a double take and said to myself this guy is working a dead end job making minimum wage and he's driving this car? It was evident that he caught me looking and probably knew what I was thinking. Some people are so materialistic that they put all other priorities to the side and focus on being seen. I actually laughed out loud because he looked like a complete idiot. Sure people can do whatever they want to do, but me personally if I had to choose between living at home with mommy and daddy or having my own place, I think I would prefer to have my own apartment.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Just last week I saw a Bentley parked on East New York ave. I assumed it was some guy saving a ton of money on rent so he could buy a luxury automobile.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Wherever he was it was definitely drug money OR some guy living in his parents residence in the housing projects and working a low end job spending all of his money on the monthly car payments. Last weekend I went to the supermarket, and walking out I see a guy that works as a cashier in the supermarket cleaning his car which was a Lexus IIRC. I did a double take and said to myself this guy is working a dead end job making minimum wage and he's driving this car? It was evident that he caught me looking and probably knew what I was thinking. Some people are so materialistic that they put all other priorities to the side and focus on being seen. I actually laughed out loud because he looked like a complete idiot. Sure people can do whatever they want to do, but me personally if I had to choose between living at home with mommy and daddy or having my own place, I think I would prefer to have my own apartment.

And you know this how, exactly?

And how do you know that the Lexus belonged to the cashier? Did you ask him or are you assuming it was his? Couldn't it be borrowed? I used to live near Pomonock Housing in Flushing. I saw BMW's and other luxury cars so I don't disagree that some people have their priorities in the wrong place. What they choose to do with their money is their business. I just don't assume that it's "definitely drug money".

Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Just last week I saw a Bentley parked on East New York ave. I assumed it was some guy saving a ton of money on rent so he could buy a luxury automobile.

I wonder if Bentleys have gotten more affordable because over the past 2 years I've seen them on the road quite regularly and I've seen them in all neighborhoods. Years ago it was rare that I saw a Bentley and if I did, I just figured the person driving was loaded lol

Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM

300 posts, read 374,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
And you know this how, exactly?

And how do you know that the Lexus belonged to the cashier? Did you ask him or are you assuming it was his? Couldn't it be borrowed? I used to live near Pomonock Housing in Flushing. I saw BMW's and other luxury cars so I don't disagree that some people have their priorities in the wrong place. What they choose to do with their money is their business. I just don't assume that it's "definitely drug money".
Let's see... For starters, he was cleaning the car (practically licking it). If it was someone else's car, he was certainly taking care of it more than I would.

As for your second comment, there are only so many options and usually anyone with half a brain is not going to go driving around in an expensive BMW in a ghetto neighborhood unless they're either living at home with mommy and daddy or into some illegal activity. There is the possibility that they could be doing some legal activity, but I don't know of too many people driving luxury vehicles that are living in the ghetto. If they do then they clearly don't have their priorities in order.

Kind of reminds me of the women who collect welfare and their boyfriend takes them around in expensive cars and they wear expensive coats. Talk about milking the system.

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-17-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
A lot of convicted criminals that run Credit Card scams and other identity thefts owns luxury cars. Fast money.

Might as well enjoy it before they get to sit in jail for 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: