Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 26,812 times

Advertisements

Hi all
new to this site. I have been trying to find somewhere I can get some advice and maybe some help to plan my Wifes birhday celebrations.
As she is hitting the big 4-0 she has of course declared she doesnt want a fuss made and really doesnt want me to get her a big present etc.....

So like the good understanding husband I am I booked a trip to NYC without her knowing!!

By way of an introduction my name is Tony I live in a place called Brentwood (not LA!) But Essex which is just to the east of London in England

We have been to the big apple before but not for a while (11 years) so needless to say we have seen the "normal" sightseeing things. So i want this to be a special holiday one she will remember which is hopefully where your local knowledge may be able to help.

Hard to explain what im after but I want it to be different. I would like her to come home and be able to talk about her experiance in NYC and it be totally different from everyone elses.

We are due to arrive end of January 2015 (29th) and leave on the 2nd Feb we are staying just off times square.

We are in to our food in a big way as well as music and (without sounding alcoholic) drinking!!

Ideas so far are many restaurants but trying to find real american rather than chain. Corny things such as trying to get her a birthday message on one of the screens on times square, I would like somewhere to have a great view of manhatten (governors island?)
I would love to meet and spend time with some Newyorkers maybe a karaoke night? Or a pop up restaurant?
How about a cocktail crawl in differnet Jazz clubs or in bars over a certain amount of floors up?

I have some time to plan things we want some great nights out but not to fussed with the normal sightseeing. If anyone can help or make any suggestions it would be truely appreciated. My wofe means the world to me and I want her to have an unforgettable birthday.

thanks in advance for any help or advice you maybbe able to give.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
You are such a keeper. At 4-0, maybe it'd be a statement to go to the Museum of Sex together as one of your many destinations.
Museum of Sex | NYC

For a beautiful venue, on the Saturday night of your trip, the Metropolitan Opera at Lincoln Center is staging The Merry Widow, a masterpiece of Light Opera, in English. It's got all kinds of girl themes. Google the synopsis to see if it's not tooo corny for you both.

The Brooklyn Museum has some kind of show about High Heels on those dates.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-19-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Oh wow, look at this
Brooklyn Museum: Killer Heels: The Art of the High-Heeled Shoe

And if you decide on Sat night at the Metropolitan Opera, you could make the day flow by spending Saturday afternoon at the nearby Museum of Art and Design (MAD) at Columbus Circle. That week, in addition to its regular offerings, MAD will have a special exhibition the jeweler, Joyce J. Scott, see Maryland to Murano | The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD) Their gift shop is a real pleasure, too.

The things I've suggested all have girl themes that are beautiful and romantic. Plus all are indoors, since the winter weather will be a consideration.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-19-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Governor's Island won't work for the view because it's closed for the winter starting at the end of September. But I'm sure you could find a variety of restaurants with great views. If you want to do something different for a view, you could go on the Roosevelt Island tram, just for the price of a subway ride since it is part of the MTA Roosevelt Island Tramway - Roosevelt Island - New York, NY | Yelp

Since you like food and want to try something new, maybe check out some food tours. I am not sure how many there are in the middle of the winter, but you could check some websites like » Queens Food Tours Jeffrey Tastes – Queens Qustodian and Noshwalks - New York Culinary Walking Tours

For exploring some very different out-of-the-way places, try An alternative view of New York |*Forgotten New York

Time Out NY is a good publication for finding out what events are happening on a weekly basis.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the replies.
the opera and the heels sound fantastic, I will spend the day on google checking all of these suggestions out.
Thanks again
tony

Old 09-20-2014, 05:08 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I too like the Roosevelt Island Tram idea although it is very short ride (just a few minutes). But Roosevelt Island does have a promenade area all long the Western side with various views of the East side of Manhattan (weather-permitting).

For a great view of Lower Manhattan, another great location (weather-permitting) is the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. At the end of the Promenade is Montague Street with a choice of various nice restaurants.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 AM

I am liking the Roosevelt Tram idea, being the winter sightseeing could be very hit or miss so a short journey could be good anyway.

I had looked at some of the food tours my only worry was walking around in the cold, I have put together a initial itinerary from my thoughts a few days ago I have since added to them with some of the ideas from here.

Let me know what you all think the restaurants are all I have found from a quick google so any other/better suggestions would be welcome.

Sorry that post was a disaster!! PC went nuts on me, I will sit down later and do it again!

Last edited by tonym3; 09-20-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Right let's have another go at a itinerary !! Goes without saying this is only a first draft nothing is in stone so any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Thursday 29th Jan : by the time we actually get free from customs at JFK and travel to the hotel it will be around 8pm we would have been traveling for a fair few hours by then so rather than the temptation to crash I would like to go straight out for food and drinks.
My idea was to simply go down to times square and go Bubba Gumps get some crap food and drink down us and soak in the square. Can't see the first night progressing much pass this!! However please tell me if this is a bad idea I've not been before and we both love shell fish our hotel is on the same block so I'm going for ease rather than anything else.

Friday : I would like a good Breakfast I did find a place that looked very traditional (left my list at work!) any recommendations that would be walk able in the cold would be great, I'm thinking pancakes and syrup on all sorta of stuff it should be on!!!

Then for the day the Tram ride mentioned above sounds a great way for a bit of a chill out then I think she would love the high heel show.

I found a good looking seafood place on one of the wharfs (bongos?) thought this would be a good way to spend the night.

Saturday : loving the Opera mentioned above so may look into that for Saturday night with a relaxing day before.

Sunday : would love to have a good long brunch somewhere but early start on Monday so not too late!!

Monday : good bye NYC!!

So a few blank time spots I would like to have just one or maybe two things to do during the day.

Found a good looking BBQ restaurant whilst googling can't remember it's name! But we would love to do a real good BBQ meal so any recommendations would be great.

Thank you all for your help so far, I am normally very unorganised, Wife is a real control freak so I would love to have a full plan for her so she knows what's going on each day!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:58 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym3 View Post
Hi all
new to this site. I have been trying to find somewhere I can get some advice and maybe some help to plan my Wifes birhday celebrations.
As she is hitting the big 4-0 she has of course declared she doesnt want a fuss made and really doesnt want me to get her a big present etc.....

So like the good understanding husband I am I booked a trip to NYC without her knowing!!

By way of an introduction my name is Tony I live in a place called Brentwood (not LA!) But Essex which is just to the east of London in England

We have been to the big apple before but not for a while (11 years) so needless to say we have seen the "normal" sightseeing things. So i want this to be a special holiday one she will remember which is hopefully where your local knowledge may be able to help.

Hard to explain what im after but I want it to be different. I would like her to come home and be able to talk about her experiance in NYC and it be totally different from everyone elses.

We are due to arrive end of January 2015 (29th) and leave on the 2nd Feb we are staying just off times square.

We are in to our food in a big way as well as music and (without sounding alcoholic) drinking!!

Ideas so far are many restaurants but trying to find real american rather than chain. Corny things such as trying to get her a birthday message on one of the screens on times square, I would like somewhere to have a great view of manhatten (governors island?)
I would love to meet and spend time with some Newyorkers maybe a karaoke night? Or a pop up restaurant?
How about a cocktail crawl in differnet Jazz clubs or in bars over a certain amount of floors up?

I have some time to plan things we want some great nights out but not to fussed with the normal sightseeing. If anyone can help or make any suggestions it would be truely appreciated. My wofe means the world to me and I want her to have an unforgettable birthday.

thanks in advance for any help or advice you maybbe able to give.

Tony
Tony, Some really good jazz spots in the west Village. Also there is a bowling alley in the West side that's like a club. I took a date once to a spot in the west village that served PPJ sandwiches. Great time. Then I believe was on Sex and the City. Great Sinatra band at the Carnagie Club on west 56th street.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
What hotel are you staying at?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City