Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,205 times

Advertisements

I'm a high schooler, I live in Riverdale (the Spuyten Duyvil section) but go to school in the Upper East Side. Pretty much all my friends live in Queens/Brooklyn/Manhattan and I have no idea what to do outside with my spare time. Riverdale has such a suburban, small town feel that it doesn't feel right to wander around and buy a soda or read a book in a park or something. And I don't want to have to walk a mile just to get to the (still not very busy) Johnson and Riverdale Ave areas, which only leaves the Knolls Crescent shopping center.

So back to my question: What do
what is there to do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 01:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache View Post
I'm a high schooler, I live in Riverdale (the Spuyten Duyvil section) but go to school in the Upper East Side. Pretty much all my friends live in Queens/Brooklyn/Manhattan and I have no idea what to do outside with my spare time. Riverdale has such a suburban, small town feel that it doesn't feel right to wander around and buy a soda or read a book in a park or something. And I don't want to have to walk a mile just to get to the (still not very busy) Johnson and Riverdale Ave areas, which only leaves the Knolls Crescent shopping center.

So back to my question: What do
what is there to do????
Ask your friends to come over and "chill out" in your place.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 8,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
*takes deep breath*

obviously that is an option, but that's really hectic and time consuming for all of us since we live in different boroughs.

something like that would require advanced planning and take up a whole day.

i'm talking about a short afternoon thing, something you could just get up and do

Old 09-28-2014, 03:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
if you don't have one get a bike and ride around the streets and Van Cortlandt Park. the only place i can think of is some bars around Manhattan College on Broadway near 242 street, The Bronx Ale House on 238th, An Beal Bocht Cafe on 238th, the Punch Bowl on
Broadway and 238th but even so lots of those o
ld bars cater to
the long time neighborho
od resi
dents

Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 PM

300 posts, read 375,017 times
Sorry to tell you this but there isn't much to do down in Spuyten Duyvil. The Knolls Crescent shopping center doesn't offer much in terms of a hangout spot. If you want to stay within Riverdale, you'll need to make your way up to Johnson Avenue where you can hang out a bit, but if you really want a place to hangout, I would go to Manhattan. Riverdale is a suburban bedroom community, so most people just go to Manhattan. There are express buses you can take to the city that cost $6.00 each way (BxM1 to East Midtown, BxM2 to West Midtown - both run 7 days a week and frequently and the BxM18 only runs during rush hours during the week which can give direct access to Downtown), or you may be close enough to walk down to the Spuyten Duyvil Metro-North station which can take you to Grand Central. The price is $8.25 during peak periods, $6.25 off-peak and $4.00 during the weekends with City Ticket each way. You're too far up the hill to go to Van Cortlandt Park and quite frankly I see no point in going down there to the park when you have plenty of parks that are closer to you. There is plenty of park areas near Independence Avenue with areas to play sports, and of course Wave Hill further up near the estate area.

I actually just came from the city myself and go frequently. I love living in Riverdale because it offers an escape from the hectic city life. You may also want to make your way over to An Bocht Beal, but that's over near Manhattan College. Don't know if you're old enough to drive yet, but with a car you can do plenty. Otherwise take a taxi.

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-28-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 04:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Did you grow up in Riverdale? Don't you have friends from elementary school or Junior high?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My recommendation since you go to school on the Upper East Side is to meet your friends in the city. Take the BxM1 express bus to 86th street or somewhere near your school. I'm sure you have hangout spots there. The express bus would be quick from Spuyten Duyvil (roughly 25 - 30 minutes) each way. You can hangout and then get back on the express bus and head back to Riverdale.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
used to live in rockland county where it was a 25 minute
walk to catch a bus that went to 178th
street. closest hangout spot was a 10 minute drive.
compared to that Riverdale is great

Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
used to live in rockland county where it was a 25 minute
walk to catch a bus that went to 178th
street. closest hangout spot was a 10 minute drive.
compared to that Riverdale is great
Actually for a high schooler it isn't. I mean there is the main drag on Johnson and 235th where you'll see plenty of young folks hanging out around Starbucks or the yogurt place or along Riverdale Avenue by the burger place, but that's really about it, or he'll have to head over by An Bocht Beal, and that's more of a college/young crowd. He's better off going to the city. As much as I love Riverdale unless you're into green, and the parks there isn't much else, which is the way most of us Riverdalians prefer it (nice and quiet), save a few spots and I wouldn't have any desire to head down to the Bronx in Kingsbridge. That's a whole different environment down there. Safer to stay in Riverdale or go to the city. Quite frankly it could take him the same amount of time going to Central Riverdale up by Johnson anyway, so why not have more options or stay locally if he wants to stay within Riverdale?

You're a fellow Riverdalian like myself, though I'm probably younger than you... What do you do for entertainment within Riverdale?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Isn't there a biking trail from Van Cortlandt Park to Carmel through Westchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City