Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:03 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about the Bronx, just looked at a map to see which subways are close to the hospital's address. If I was that worried, I'd budget $200./month to buy a cab from the hospital door to a nearby subway every workday. Then board a B, D, or 4 and train away to live in any neighborhood I wanted. Those looked like the closest subways, just looking on a map.

$200/mo cabfares assumes $10/ride x 5 nights/wk/ x 4 weeks/mo

I'm sorry if I'm making too many assumptions about your budget. Also other posters will surely punch holes in my suggestion based on cab availability or the subway stations themselves, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Man so much subtle racism in this thread. I just feel bad for people who walk around like this. I really do.
Agreed. Don't understand why threads like this upset people so badly? It's a simple yes or no question.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
My ex boyfriend, Japanese, professor at Lehman, used to live in Kingsbridge (off 232nd, up the hill and close to the reservoir) for many years. He regularly shopped at the butcher shops on Broadway. He was fine. You want to talk about standing out? How about being an Asian male in an area that has a trace Asian population. Didn't bother him because the area was pretty diverse (not just Black and Latino) and he was used to diversity. He did date me, after all

Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Due to the nature of Jews and whites it is easy enough to live around each other because these groups are docile and generally quiet and non violent. Still each group stays with its own on a social level beyond saying hello in the hallways or talking about the community.
Have you picked up a history book? Whites are docile? Pick a war. Any war. There was a white person there and not trying to stop it! Whites and jews co-exist peacefully? May I remind you of a small skirmish that occurred during the 1940's?

I am taking you literally, and I am sure I know what you mean by "white", but don't be so quick to pretend that white people are these peaceful beings of light that pass through leaving reminiscences of flowery scents and pure happiness. A hundred years ago, when millions of whites entered this country, the streets were TEEMING with sick, uneducated, violent, uncivilized, and altogether disposable white people. That was when white people were not a people. They were many people and they were not all the same. There were the starving irish, the italians without their papers, the clanly germans, the unintelligible nordic people, etc. Most of these people could have died on the street and nobody would have so much as looked in their direction except if there was something of value to pick over the still warm corpse.

Look down your noses at the violent brown masses, but you do so at the cost of ignoring your (the collective) past.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partisa View Post
Have you picked up a history book? Whites are docile? Pick a war. Any war. There was a white person there and not trying to stop it! Whites and jews co-exist peacefully? May I remind you of a small skirmish that occurred during the 1940's?

I am taking you literally, and I am sure I know what you mean by "white", but don't be so quick to pretend that white people are these peaceful beings of light that pass through leaving reminiscences of flowery scents and pure happiness. A hundred years ago, when millions of whites entered this country, the streets were TEEMING with sick, uneducated, violent, uncivilized, and altogether disposable white people. That was when white people were not a people. They were many people and they were not all the same. There were the starving irish, the italians without their papers, the clanly germans, the unintelligible nordic people, etc. Most of these people could have died on the street and nobody would have so much as looked in their direction except if there was something of value to pick over the still warm corpse.

Look down your noses at the violent brown masses, but you do so at the cost of ignoring your (the collective) past.
Hmm. Which past member are you with a new account? How nice when a new member jumps in out of nowhere to flame the race wars

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,046 times
I'm just trying to add some perspective. If that's not welcome here, then I'll just move along.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You won't be safe ANYWHERE in the Bronx or outerboroughs.

Your absolute SAFEST bet with your features is Manhattan.

I'm sorry, but it is. Blonde hair, blue eyes, female and early 20s spells DISASTER, especially for the Bronx.

There are PIMPS everywhere looking to kidnap girls like you to lock up in a bedroom or basement with boarded/gated up windows, keep you drugged up and parade a series of men to have sex with you for money 24/7.

Being that you're white with blonde hair and blue eyes, they can command a very high rate for you.

So, I'd be careful if I was you.
I have one question for you? On what planet do you spend most of your time?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
i think marilyn is describing 8th avenue in the w 40's in the 1970's...

Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 PM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i think marilyn is describing 8th avenue in the w 40's in the 1970's...
or perhaps being sarcastic (I hope).

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
I said it before, Kingsbridge has potential and we may be seeing a number of changes soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City