Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 22,912 times

Advertisements

We just moved into the neighborhood, im a auto mechanic, sometimes i would work on my car and my friend's car over the weekend, now i've received a complain saying i was using the driveway and garage for commercial purposes(auto repair), the complain had a couple picture of me and my friend. now i want to know is it legal to work on your own car on the drive way & Is it legal to take a picture of you doing work on your driveway....
i dont use powertools or airtools, i use handtools all the time and i understand the noise im gonna be making so i dont work after 7pm. i usually works on it on sunday and rarely during weekdays . i dispose the mess according to regulation ( taking it back to the shop to dispose them ). Has anyone encountered one of those issues? Any advice is apreciatted. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 AM

279 posts, read 854,054 times
your neighbor is noisy and reported you because they hate you

not that much you can do about the problem. Maybe try talking to your neighbor and explain it to them that you are fixing your car

Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentz1105 View Post
We just moved into the neighborhood, im a auto mechanic, sometimes i would work on my car and my friend's car over the weekend, now i've received a complain saying i was using the driveway and garage for commercial purposes(auto repair), the complain had a couple picture of me and my friend. now i want to know is it legal to work on your own car on the drive way & Is it legal to take a picture of you doing work on your driveway....
i dont use powertools or airtools, i use handtools all the time and i understand the noise im gonna be making so i dont work after 7pm. i usually works on it on sunday and rarely during weekdays . i dispose the mess according to regulation ( taking it back to the shop to dispose them ). Has anyone encountered one of those issues? Any advice is apreciatted. Thanks alot

How many repairs does your (or your friend's) car need that you work on them every sunday and sometimes on weekdays?

If this was only an occasional thing, your neighbor(s) wouldn't have complained and taken a photo. If you're working on cars in your driveway often, it's likely you're running a little side auto repair business and that is NOT permitted on residential property. That's why the neighbor made the complaint.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
If you were repairing the car for profit, then yes, I'd say that's likely illegal. At that point, you're basically running an auto shop without any of the appropriate regulations. If you were just doing it as a favor, then I can't imagine anyone making a big deal out of it, unless you have cars coming it and out of the place all weekend long.

And to your question about the pictures, as a photographer I can say yes, it's perfectly legal for anyone to take pictures of you in your driveway.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Quote:
We just moved into the neighborhood
And started a car repair business in your driveway?
And are surprised/upset that the neighbors are unhappy?
You're lucky that you've only received a complaint in the mail!
Do your work in your shop!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:29 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,885 times
OP no one likes the sight of some grease monkey working on his car on his driveway or even in his garage when noise is involved. From your post you mentioned that you work on Sundays or weekdays before 7pm. That already indicates that you are making a habit of this. Whether or not it is for money is irrelevant. Queens is a compact neighborhood and you are just too close to your neighbors.

If you want to work on your car(s) and not be bothered by neighbors then you should start looking for homes in Eastern Long Island or parts of Jersey.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I'm sure if you were quietly turning a piece of metal with a wrench here and there, the neighbor probably wouldn't be complaining. My guess is whatever you are doing is noisy and disturbing their peace and quiet.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM

34,041 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
now i want to know is it legal to work on your own car on the drive way
Yes, it's legal to work on your own car in your own driveway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,489 times
Quote:
OP figure out which neighbor did this to you. Once this is done disable their car while they sleep. The next morning when they are unable to leave mention gee I wish I could help you but some Moderator cut: Inappropriate languagereported me for running an illegal auto repair shop in my driveway, which I wasn't I was merely trying to help a few souls in need and I did not profit from it.....Oh well good luck. Then continue on your way with an evil laughter going through your head knowing you got that bastard real good.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-19-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 03:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm sure if you were quietly turning a piece of metal with a wrench here and there, the neighbor probably wouldn't be complaining. My guess is whatever you are doing is noisy and disturbing their peace and quiet.
Haven't worked on cars much, have you? Bolts get stuck, and then the sound of hitting a wrench with a hammer competes for loudness only with the swearing of the mechanic. Using air tools is actually quieter for that sort of thing. Same goes for breaking ball joints. Then of course there's the starting and stopping of the engine.

But you're allowed to be noisy during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City