Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM

28 posts, read 26,416 times

Advertisements

HEY YALL!

I am a 27 year old moving from Atlanta to Brooklyn!

First I will give you my background: I was born and raised in Augusta, Ga and my parents are from MS and SC, so all I know is the south. I moved to Atlanta for college and stayed. Here we are 10 years later. I have been wanting to move for some time but right now just seems right. I am wanting to move to Brooklyn because the south is just still set in the old fashion ways. While Atlanta is one of the more progressive of the southern cities it is still pretty segregated.

I like to think of myself as forward thinking and really want to diversify my life and just be around all kinds of people. It was between San Francisco or NY. I ultimately decided NY because my friend in NY is able to help more than my friend in SC (a 2 bedroom apt. in NYC vs. a studio in SF)

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can transfer my job, but even without it I am saving up about 3000 to last me a month or so until I can find a job.

I am just SO scared of the New Yorkness of it all. While I do not feel extra southern here (no accent), I think up there they will automatically know im south and treat me like im slow! Can you all give me some of yall's experiences with southern people in NY!

Also do you all think temp agencies are viable means to make income while I do a real job search?

Look forward to hearing from you all!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 AM

993 posts, read 1,390,795 times
I grew up in Baltimore, and was surprised to find how much people are curious about another big city -- as compared to an entire region. When you introduce"the South" or "Midwest" or even "upstate NY" the talk is mostly about stereotypes. From one city to another, there's more identification and interest, common talking points. Truth is, you'll have enough strangers to try out talking all different ways.

Try replying you're "from Atlanta" (where you moved in from) rather than "from the South." It's easier to have a conversation comparing MARTA to the MTA than trying to get people to imagine the backroads of Mississippi.

That said, people are people, so once you get to know a few actual breathing human beings, you might find curiosity about your larger background. At first though, you just want a quick answer to "where are you from?" that allows you to keep connecting.

Be who you are, but keep growing. That's my formula, anyway.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-30-2014 at 05:27 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 AM

@BrightRabbit that was very well put! I never thought of the "atlanta" vs. "the south" thing. I have family from New York but they have moved out and the stereotypes were pretty spot on. Not that they were rude, but just how they viewed us in the South and the fast paced of it all. I am not so caught up in the rude stereotypes because there are rude people down here too. I am just ready to experience it!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,629,849 times
I think the big things you'll note is that it's a much faster pace here and it's colder. I don't have much to say to this matter, but I have been to Atlanta and it felt very different in culture. $3000 saved is going to be hard to live on unless your rental situation with your friend is really good. There's a lot of competition in this job market, but overall you'll probably like being up here as it is an experience and it's certainly more diversified and feels more integrated when you walk the streets.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

@Javawood Yea I definitely am expecting the fast pace and the cold. I will coming up there when it is starting to get warmer (I think) so I will be ok until next winter! Atlanta is very different just from what I remember being there at 16. Yea my friend is being pretty nice with the rent that I will be paying till I get a full time job.

I am pretty minimal and all of my bills will be paid up for the that month before I come. I do not mind working a little retail or other kind of job while I look for a better job. I am also looking at different temp agencies. I am an overall optimistic person so I think I will be ok.

Thanks for the comments!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM

110 posts, read 219,366 times
You shouldn't have a problem, I've met lots of people in NYC from the Atlanta area. I'm from TX, have lived in NYC almost 10 years now and have never looked back! I moved here about 2 years out of college at 24 and have been pretty lucky finding good jobs and making lots of friends.

It's nice that you have a friend here with an extra room as finding an apartment can be harder than finding a job! $3K is okay, but I would advise saving as much $$$ as you possibly can, especially if you come here seeking a job. $$$ tends to go really quick in NYC.

Also, if you have a car - I would definitely advise selling it before moving here - it will end up being wayyyy more of a hinderance and expense than it's worth. Even in BK, it's hard to find parking and a spot in a garage will cost you a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood0192 View Post
HEY YALL!

I am a 27 year old moving from Atlanta to Brooklyn!

First I will give you my background: I was born and raised in Augusta, Ga and my parents are from MS and SC, so all I know is the south. I moved to Atlanta for college and stayed. Here we are 10 years later. I have been wanting to move for some time but right now just seems right. I am wanting to move to Brooklyn because the south is just still set in the old fashion ways. While Atlanta is one of the more progressive of the southern cities it is still pretty segregated.

I like to think of myself as forward thinking and really want to diversify my life and just be around all kinds of people. It was between San Francisco or NY. I ultimately decided NY because my friend in NY is able to help more than my friend in SC (a 2 bedroom apt. in NYC vs. a studio in SF)

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can transfer my job, but even without it I am saving up about 3000 to last me a month or so until I can find a job.

I am just SO scared of the New Yorkness of it all. While I do not feel extra southern here (no accent), I think up there they will automatically know im south and treat me like im slow! Can you all give me some of yall's experiences with southern people in NY!

Also do you all think temp agencies are viable means to make income while I do a real job search?

Look forward to hearing from you all!!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM

577 posts, read 902,183 times
Just wanted to point out, NYC is one of the most segregated cities in the country, you might not be aware of this.

Way back when my husband took an "unofficial" class in proofreading that taught you how to look experienced to temp agencies, he got work through it. I don't know if the same "classes" exist today.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM

@kellydnyc Yea I am looking forward to it overall. The money will go fast, but I try to be a go getter and I am ok work a job that i dont necessarily want just to have money flowing in while I search for a real job.

I have been contemplating about bringing my car, but I decided I am going to being it. My friend has a pretty good apartment set up and he said there is always parking on his street. I know it will be expensive, but my parents are going to help with my car.

@mermaid825 Dont tell me that! it cant be worse than down here! what is so segregated about it like to what extent?

Old 10-30-2014, 04:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,390,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood0192 View Post
he said there is always parking on his street. I know it will be expensive, but my parents are going to help with my car.
Does your friend have and manage a car? Ask these important questions:
- is there alternate street parking on the block?
- how many times per week?
- when the day(s) come, is he able to FIND another legal spot? How long does it usually take to find? How far from home? Does he get out of the way same-day or handle it the night before?

Each week here, a streetsweeping machine goes down one side of a street, so parking on that side is illegal for 90 minutes. If your car is there, you'll often get an expensive ticket.

People with cars that they want to street-park for free handle this different ways:

-- You could cruise the neighborhood to find a legal spot the night before.

-- You can drive away that morning to park in a different neighborhood or block with different timing. The illegal days/times are all posted on street signs, so you can figure it out.

-- If you're not working that day, you can double-park across the street and wait out the 90 minutes sitting in your car, without leaving, in case someone you've blocked in needs to get out. But that means you're not working that part of the day - opportunity costs there (lost money if you can't work that half-day). In winter, I've sat in my car, but midwinter gets very cold, so you either run gasoline to stay warm 90 minutes ($$) or sit under blankets. I've done both. It's all ridiculous but necessary.

-- Move the car to metered parking if it's in your neighborhood, but you have to keep feeding the meter. Again, not compatible with working that same half-day.

So it's possible to find parking, but when everyone on the block is looking for the same thing at the same moment, it can be competitive. Just a time suck, nothing fatal. It might cut into your ability to seek or perform work, and that's a real consideration.

So much for "there's parking on my street." FIND OUT MORE from your friend!

Now if your parents are ready to "help you with your car" meaning they'll pay for parking on an open-air commercial lot so you don't have to endure this, then you've got no problem. Costs for that could be $150/200 per month and up much higher, all depending on neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 PM

Thank you so much @brightrabbit!

Yea he definitely told me about the different sides of the streets. So I am prepared for that. How do you know when they are going to sweep the streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: