Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The one I go to is in Bronxville. There are many around NYC. The more notable ones are in Union Square, Park Slope, Grand Army Plaza, Jackson Heights and Inwood.

Look at some greenmarket websites:

Our Markets | GrowNYC

When attending a farmers market in NYC just make sure that the vegs aren't too local.

Root of all evil: Vegetables in NYC gardens are ‘toxic’ | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
When attending a farmers market in NYC just make sure that the vegs aren't too local.

You can just do what the woman in the article does:

“I buy from the community garden,” she said. “I pray before I eat it that anything in there won’t kill me.”

Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
After I read this article about E coli and how the processing of beef in this country actually encourages e coli, I never bought ground beef again, except from the greenmarket and maybe Whole Foods. No way am I going to eat that crap now that I know what is actually in it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/he...pagewanted=all

Here's an excerpt.

The frozen hamburgers that the Smiths ate, which were made by the food giant Cargill, were labeled “American Chef’s Selection Angus Beef Patties.” Yet confidential grinding logs and other Cargill records show that the hamburgers were made from a mix of slaughterhouse trimmings and a mash-like product derived from scraps that were ground together at a plant in Wisconsin. The ingredients came from slaughterhouses in Nebraska, Texas and Uruguay, and from a South Dakota company that processes fatty trimmings and treats them with ammonia to kill bacteria.

Using a combination of sources — a practice followed by most large producers of fresh and packaged hamburger — allowed Cargill to spend about 25 percent less than it would have for cuts of whole meat.

Those low-grade ingredients are cut from areas of the cow that are more likely to have had contact with feces, which carries E. coli, industry research shows. Yet Cargill, like most meat companies, relies on its suppliers to check for the bacteria and does its own testing only after the ingredients are ground together. The United States Department of Agriculture, which allows grinders to devise their own safety plans, has encouraged them to test ingredients first as a way of increasing the chance of finding contamination.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Chicken is routinely and cheaply bathed in a solution of chlorine, basically a Clorox dip, the story has recently been pretty well documented in the news lately.

As for radiation, it is an expensive setup so butchers will not have that capability, but whether Tyson and Perdue DO I don't know.

Quote:

Now serious question: are so-called Organic food in supermarkets
reliable?
Of course not. The temptation to take the same-old, same old and slap an ORGANIC label on it to double the price is too irresistible to producers and sellers. Common sense tells us that and eventually someone will investigate.
The FDA and the Dept. of Agriculture cannot even assure us that our meats aren't contaminated with salmonella. norovirus, and coliform. They certainly are not going to regulate food improperly bearing the word "Organic."

And when you start trusting that food producers are going to regulate THEMSELVES, well at that point you might as well start looking for a white rabbit with an alarm clock.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post

That's why a lot of the recommended farm vendors in these markets are from upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City