Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 15,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Then just say, "Yo, your rent is going up $500 a month. Like it or leave it."
I'd preferably just want them all out, do some renovations in the apartments, replace windows, toilets, sinks and polish the floors and then start fresh with new tenants of my choice.

Giving them an eviction notice tomorrow for February 1 should be fine? What do you think?

I'm almost 100% certain they won't pay me the rent for Jan 1 - Feb, because they told me, they've been the "Boss of that house" and their planning what to do in the event of an eviction since they all pay so little rent.

As I mentioned in my post above, their rent is so little because the previous landlord didn't have a mortgage and never went to take care of the home. They cut the grass and take out the garbage so they rent big 2 bedroom apartments for $850 a month.

Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,156,935 times
This is not professional advice, but I would probably give them written notice in person and then follow up with a copy of the notice via certified mail (make sure this is sent well before the 30 days prior). This way you have proof that you gave adequate notice if you need it later.

Also read everything you can from the tenant's point of view, so you will know what tricks they might try to pull and be prepared for them.

Isn't there some sort of guide for NYC landlords that notifies them of their rights and responsibilities?

Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Also btw

The termination notice need not specify why the landlord seeks possession of the apartment, only that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that refusal to vacate will lead to eviction proceedings.

NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Also, what is a 21 year old doing buying a house in NYC with no knowledge of how to proceed? It's really not a good idea to be asking such important questions on an anonymous internet board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
Hello, I am 20 y/o with previous doorman/porter experience as a summer relief guy in NYC.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,767,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Also, what is a 21 year old doing buying a house in NYC with no knowledge of how to proceed? It's really not a good idea to be asking such important questions on an anonymous internet board.
I'd say good for him for stepping into the NYC real estate market. He's taking steps at an early age to keep his future NYC living expenses down by owning. Unlike the other usual suspects who keep bellyaching about their rents going up.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'd say good for him for stepping into the NYC real estate market. He's taking steps at an early age to keep his future NYC living expenses down by owning. Unlike the other usual suspects who keep bellyaching about their rents going up.
I agree, it is good for him if he can sort out the details of how to proceed. It's concerning, though, that he's asking for professional advice on an anonymous board where we have all sorts of trolls roaming around. Maybe he will be lucky enough to get proper advice, but how will he sort out the good advice from the bad? There's already been some terrible advice and the usual race-baiting comments above.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,891,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2013 View Post
I'd preferably just want them all out, do some renovations in the apartments, replace windows, toilets, sinks and polish the floors and then start fresh with new tenants of my choice.

Giving them an eviction notice tomorrow for February 1 should be fine? What do you think?

I'm almost 100% certain they won't pay me the rent for Jan 1 - Feb, because they told me, they've been the "Boss of that house" and their planning what to do in the event of an eviction since they all pay so little rent.

As I mentioned in my post above, their rent is so little because the previous landlord didn't have a mortgage and never went to take care of the home. They cut the grass and take out the garbage so they rent big 2 bedroom apartments for $850 a month.

Thanks again for your knowledge and advice.
Lawyer. Now. Not later. Now.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 15,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You're awesome. Thank you so much. I wish I could but you a cup of coffee for taking your time to give me solid simple advice.

I did all the research online already, indulged in as much knowledge as I possibly can, but sometimes it's nice to get feedback from others especially if they've done it before because it makes me feel more confident in my decisions.

Just one final questions. In the event that they don't get out or don't pay me for the month of Jan-Feb, do you have any solid attorneys for a quick eviction?

Since it will be the month of Feb, I'm hoping the courts don't side with tenant excuses and **** the landlord over because they assume "we have money" even though we have a mortgage in a tough economy.

Thank you Henna.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,514,970 times
Either:

1). Get a lawyer

2). Go to housing court. They'll give you the procedure and proper forms.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:54 PM

419 posts, read 627,184 times
goddamn 850 a month for 2 bedrooms?? rent to me yo... anyway, just send them mail with usps registered mail. Make sure you got their credit info from previous landlord, tell them you will offer 2 months to look for new location, but i doubt that they will move out right away, since 850 a month in nyc is not possible in current market. Worst case, tell them if they dont move out you are sending their info to collection agent to break their credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: