Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Question. In the past there were two schedules for entrance into these type of schools. One schedule was for minorities and one was for the general public. Is this still the case?
I think the magnet schools always had no affirmative action / color-blind admissions by state law.

Admissions to The Bronx High School of Science, Stuyvesant High School and Brooklyn Technical High School and such similar further special high schools which may be established shall be solely and exclusively by taking a competitive, objective and scholastic achievement examinatio

Learning Curve: Text of Calandra-Hecht Bill Amending SEC. 2590G, Subdivision 12 of the Education Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think the magnet schools always had no affirmative action / color-blind admissions by state law.

Admissions to The Bronx High School of Science, Stuyvesant High School and Brooklyn Technical High School and such similar further special high schools which may be established shall be solely and exclusively by taking a competitive, objective and scholastic achievement examinatio

Learning Curve: Text of Calandra-Hecht Bill Amending SEC. 2590G, Subdivision 12 of the Education Law
That's now. But it wasn't that way in the 70's. When I was in Brooklyn Tech there was AA girl who was failing nearly every class and we had a discussion about test scores. Back then we took an exam to get into certain groups of schools (Bronx Sci, Bklyn Tech, Stuy). The score she told me she got was below the threshold level to get into any of them and wasn't in any special program as per your link.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Hmm. That law was passed in 1971.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. That law was passed in 1971.
Then the Discovery Program was misused. She was gone by the end of the school year as in-school tutors didn't help in getting her grades up out of the red.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wow, you don't see this as a bad thing? You don't see the injustice or anything broken??

Obviously our society is SICK and DISEASED when a child gets denied equal and fair access to education JUST because of who they're parents happen to be. That's something a child who is brought into this world has ZERO control over.

And you choose to turn a complete blind eye to this and pretend nothing is wrong? This is a sickening post regardless of your political beliefs.
Well, we could fix this in one stroke with school choice, so Black and Brown children who posses the academic ability have a chance to attend the same elite schools the kids in the suburbs/Manhattan do. We need to find a way to cater to the kids who want to succeed and can succeed rather than leave them stuck in the public system. That would lead to far more racial equilibrium and a true meritocracy.

But that's me being an heartless conservative again.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Question. In the past there were two schedules for entrance into these type of schools. One schedule was for minorities and one was for the general public. Is this still the case?

No need. Stuy, along with all the other top high schools, is already disproportionately minority.

It is majority Asian.

Interestingly, nearly 40% of Stuy. students get free or reduced price lunch due to their parental low income level.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Well, we could fix this in one stroke with school choice, so Black and Brown children who posses the academic ability have a chance to attend the same elite schools the kids in the suburbs/Manhattan do. We need to find a way to cater to the kids who want to succeed and can succeed rather than leave them stuck in the public system. That would lead to far more racial equilibrium and a true meritocracy.

But that's me being an heartless conservative again.

Any NYC student can already apply to any NYC high school.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Any NYC student can already apply to any NYC high school.
No. I'm talking private schools vis-a-vis vouchers. Time to bring competition to the school system.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Segregation of schools in NYC either religiously, racially, geographically and financially is nothing new in NYC and for some of the cities parents its welcoming in that they can send their kids to a private school, or a Catholic school or a jewish school, or an specialized school, or a school that is real good and only zoned for students who live within that particular zone. Getting into a good school either private, magnet, religious, specialized or charter acts as feeder schools to better schools eventually landing into an Ivy League or a top college. Whats wrong with todays public school system in NYC? I really cant say. I do not put much blame on teachers and staff, but I put most of the blame on individualism that is created by capitalism that can disway students from achieving. You have peer pressure from friends who can make students fail. Students may have parents who work long hours and are never home to check homework and grades. Again poor parenting, most notably in poor areas of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Northern Manhattan. Out of a class of 32 students, how many of these students are going to off to college? Out of the 32, 10 will probably drop out, 8 might just receive high school diplomas and either go into the military or obtain some license for an apprenticeship like hair stylist or welder, 4 students will be undecided and out of the 10 that is left 5 might go to a community college, 3 will go to a public institution like state and the last 2 will go to an Ivy League. Capitalism is well embedded in our public schools. Only those who will try hard in public schools will be rewarded. Poor parenting and peer pressure is at fault for our failing public schools here in NYC.

Last gentrification is not going to save public school systems. Has anyone ever known college educated suburban Millennials not native to NYC who have gotten pregnant in NYC? I have. I know one in who lives in Bedstuy and when her daughter reached school age she cried how poor Bedstuy public schools are. She was lucky to get her child into a charter. Also I knew of another who could not afford child care costs even though she has a high paying job, she could not afford to and she moved back to Ohio. Plenty of gentry also would not in a million years send their kids to a public school. I'm not sure but in cities their is a huge demand to build private schools, a good example of this is the Avenues which cost 40k a year for each child!

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
No. I'm talking private schools vis-a-vis vouchers. Time to bring competition to the school system.
How well do vouchers work in the states they are implemented in? If overall this works well I have no problem with creating school vouchers. Perhaps the city and/or the state should do a pilot program first to test it and work out the issues before wide implementation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City