Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,111 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer in the Financial District and am looking for a good neighborhood to move to with people my age, nightlife, coffee shops, and things to do overall. I'm 24, male, and single. My job also works on rotating shifts so I'm looking for somewhere that feels safe at odd hours of the night too. I'm from Memphis and went to grad school in Miami so I know "safe" is an extremely relative term. I would like to keep rent under $1800 but am not opposed to roommates, so what neighborhoods would everyone suggest that wouldn't have too long of a commute to lower Manhattan. I'm assuming most areas of Manhattan will be too expensive but are there neighborhoods there that are cheaper or in Booklyn or New Jersey for people my age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I think no one is replying because this is the kind of query we get over and over. Get here, find a cheap hotel or, better yet, a cheap sublet for a month or two, and then start cruising different neighborhoods and buttonholing people to ask opinions. A roommate sounds like an excellent idea; don't get in over your head financially.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Williamsburg

Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow3289 View Post
I recently got a job offer in the Financial District and am looking for a good neighborhood to move to with people my age, nightlife, coffee shops, and things to do overall. I'm 24, male, and single. My job also works on rotating shifts so I'm looking for somewhere that feels safe at odd hours of the night too. I'm from Memphis and went to grad school in Miami so I know "safe" is an extremely relative term. I would like to keep rent under $1800 but am not opposed to roommates, so what neighborhoods would everyone suggest that wouldn't have too long of a commute to lower Manhattan. I'm assuming most areas of Manhattan will be too expensive but are there neighborhoods there that are cheaper or in Booklyn or New Jersey for people my age?
weehawken might be cheap enough for you. Jersey city rents are rising.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
The only option for living in a decent place in Manhattan on your budget would be with a roommate or roommates. You always take a chance when you don't know your new roommate(s) and aren't the official lessee.

I'd opt for my own apartment. Brooklyn is your best choice. Look at apartments in Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill and Bay Ridge. Good Luck.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
weehawken might be cheap enough for you. Jersey city rents are rising.
If they plan to stop running PATH or limit service after midnight I would seriously consider not living in NJ as commute will be expensive and difficult.

Probably look towards a bit further out in Brooklyn could get something in the mid $1500s.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM

31 posts, read 55,031 times
I strongly, strongly urge you to go back to where you came from, and don't look anywhere outside of Tennessee's borders looking for a job.

As a landlord and lifelong NYC native, I categorically refuse to offer housing to anyone that isn't from NYC or anywhere else in NYS. You must be able to prove that you were born here or if you're out of state, resided for at least 20 years. I especially have contempt for yuppies and hipsters. There's a reason we can't charge lower rents: people like yourself working in the financial services industry.

You probably came here with the best intentions and maybe you're trying to strengthen your resume. I don't know you personally but you need to start looking at yourself and realize that you're a major part of the problem. Actual New Yorkers are the only ones that deserve jobs and housing here; no one else outside. Sometimes when applicants from out of state apply, I might call and invite them over for a tour, only to ask why they're here when they have no roots and to understand the part they play in the damage they're causing to lifelong native residents. It's a way for me to be amused by the undesirables.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM

36 posts, read 57,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
I strongly, strongly urge you to go back to where you came from, and don't look anywhere outside of Tennessee's borders looking for a job.

As a landlord and lifelong NYC native, I categorically refuse to offer housing to anyone that isn't from NYC or anywhere else in NYS. You must be able to prove that you were born here or if you're out of state, resided for at least 20 years. I especially have contempt for yuppies and hipsters. There's a reason we can't charge lower rents: people like yourself working in the financial services industry.

You probably came here with the best intentions and maybe you're trying to strengthen your resume. I don't know you personally but you need to start looking at yourself and realize that you're a major part of the problem. Actual New Yorkers are the only ones that deserve jobs and housing here; no one else outside. Sometimes when applicants from out of state apply, I might call and invite them over for a tour, only to ask why they're here when they have no roots and to understand the part they play in the damage they're causing to lifelong native residents. It's a way for me to be amused by the undesirables.
Is this real

Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:

As a landlord and lifelong NYC native, I categorically refuse to offer housing to anyone that isn't from NYC or anywhere else in NYS.
Oh, so now you're a landlord? Just the other day you were crying about your rent going up

Quote:
I'll take ghettoifying far over gentrifying any day. I wish every neighborhood that hasn't been sufficiently ghettoified would undergo it effective immediately. I lived in Manhattan from birth until the age of 13, and from then on to present, Queens. I won't specifically say where I live now, but you can be assured that it's known to be a rich, trendy neighborhood unlike places like South Jamaica and Far Rockaway, and I need my rent to go way down.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:05 PM

31 posts, read 55,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh, so now you're a landlord? Just the other day you were crying about your rent going up
Oh right, I forgot, you're pathetically illiterate and failed to notice that I made that post on 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM. September 21, 2013 is not "the other day"--that's more than a year ago. Next time, learn how to read simple dates.

I've been a landlord since June 2014 and I am also lucky to have a longtime renter's perspective that has had to deal with rising rents and being surrounded by people I know don't deserve to live here. That's attributable to the current cycle of gentrification. I also have many friends that deal with, and shouldn't have to deal with, competition from outsiders when it comes to finding a new room or apartment. That can be easily dealt with, and I'm doing my part by not allowing people from outside the state's borders to come in the first place. All other landlords should follow suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City