Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Forgot about Jack Warden. I went to the Boat Show, probably in 1982. He was walking along looking at the boats near my date and me, and I was thinking, "I know that guy from somewhere, do I work with him?" when my date said, "Hey, that's Jack Warden, the actor." He walked up to him and shook his hand. He was friendly.

I remember it was a nasty night with freezing rain, and Jack Warden was dressed in a heavy Army-green jacket and a knit cap. Looked like everybody else.
It turns out that Jack Warden is now deceased (it says in Wikipedia that he died on July 19, 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Marvin Hamlisch. Couldn't have been nicer.

Steve Buscemi's son, Lucien, was in a boy band and they played at my club. Steve was there, proud poppa, with a video camera. My wife and I paid the band to come back at the end of that summer, but Steve didn't come along for that. Nice man. I bumped into him later on at a local shoe store.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,403 times
Al Pacino on Park Ave many years ago, we were both crossing in the same direction

Literally walked right into David Gahan of Depeche Mode on Bleecker St. - he got annoyed with me

Walked past Liv Tyler on Mercer St

Saw Jeff Garlin (Curb your Enthusiasm and The Goldbergs) near the W 4th St subway entrance

Passed Janene Garofalo on Houston St. a couple weeks ago

Stood next to Michael Stipe at a U2 show at MSG

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
Al Pacino on Park Ave many years ago, we were both crossing in the same direction

Literally walked right into David Gahan of Depeche Mode on Bleecker St. - he got annoyed with me

Walked past Liv Tyler on Mercer St

Saw Jeff Garlin (Curb your Enthusiasm and The Goldbergs) near the W 4th St subway entrance

Passed Janene Garofalo on Houston St. a couple weeks ago

Stood next to Michael Stipe at a U2 show at MSG
Lucky you! Had a major crush on Gahan back in the day. And sort of for Pacino.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM

96 posts, read 117,438 times
Stockard Channing was the first celebrity I ever met. I was kid. Met her at night at a hotdog cart.
Ray Liotta in a black t-shirt walking on Central Park South on a clear summer day.
Woody Allen with Soon-yi Previn and some kid at The Metropolitan Museum.
Chevy Chase with others sitting in an outdoor Italian restaurant in SoHo.
Steve Martin walking in Central Park.
Phillip Roth at the 82nd Street Barnes and Noble. And sitting on a park bench outside the Museum of Natural History.
Michael Bloomberg at a parade.
George W. Bush in his presidential limo as he passed through the streets near Times Square.
Michael J. Foxx at an Upper East Side Mexican Restaurant on E. 86th Street.
Laurence Fishburne walking on the street in SoHo.
John Leguizamo at an East Village restaurant tucked away in a dim corner with a woman.
Nicolas Cage at a "The Amazing Kreskin" performance.
Spike Lee waiting for the same flight to Boston at La Guardia Airport.
Robin Williams walking with a kid on Park Avenue.
Dr. Ruth at a parade.
Yoko One at a dance performance at the Japan Society.
Richard Dreyfus walking across the street in the Upper West Side while a passers-by made a comment to him.
Richard Tyson crossing the street at night on Park Avenue. We yelled out "Tyson" from our car and he looked up and smiled.
Neil deGrasse Tyson sitting on a park bench working on his laptop outside Museum of Natural History.
Christine Bale crossing the street looking like a million dollars in a sharp suit during filming of "Dark Knight Rises" in Midtown.
Regis Philbin at his home.
Kathy Lee Gifford at her home.
Gene Hackman at his home.
Ed Koch at his home.
Barbara Walters at her home.

There are certainly more but I can't remember them at this moment.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 PM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
I remember seeing Mayor Ed Koch walking down Mercer street from Waverly Place to his apartment by Washington Square

Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I've bumped into JayZ before he was CEO. Spoke to Brad Pitt and Spike Lee.

What's great about NYC is that people here aren't star struck. I don't go bananas if I see a famous actor. They're just overpaid entertainers.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
I once took a public shower with Arnold Shwarzeneger at a gym in Venice, Beach CA. Nobody else was in the locker room....somewhat uncomfortable experience.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Red Skelton dashing out of Grand Central, Jerry Rubin at the local bookstore, Igor Stravinsky at the radio station I was at that day, Barry Gordy at a meeting, Pete Seeger invited me aboard to show me around the Clearwater when he had it docked downtown.

Have a photo with Larry King at Xmas time near the Apple store, Huntington Hartford tried to pick me up near Central Park obviously when I was much younger but we had a nice conversation, Dina Merrill getting an award in front of either the Natl Arts Club or the Players Club on Gramercy Park.

A friend of mine who was a retired professor and wrote for the NY Times brought Kitty Carlisle his long time girlfriend to a dinner I gave. I invited an elderly woman I was fond of to sit at our table and as she sat down she said "Can I tell you how much you look like Kitty Carlisle?" at which time Kitty said "I AM Kitty Carlisle !!". We all got a chuckle out of that and I was glad I could do something special for my old friend, a proper lady.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 01-27-2015 at 11:36 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 AM

96 posts, read 117,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I remember seeing Mayor Ed Koch walking down Mercer street from Waverly Place to his apartment by Washington Square
Yes. I believe Ed's apartment there was under rent control which means he basically was living there free. I did a service call for him but couldn't plug in to an outlet because his apartment had the old 2-prong electrical outlets. I needed a 3-prong grounded outlet to plug some equipment. He didn't have an adapter so I went out and purchased one at a local hardware store keeping the receipt with the hope that he would reimburse me because I left the adapter with him. He not only did not offer to pay for the adapter that he kept he didn't even tip me. Cheap bastard.

Oh--remembered more celebrity sightings:

Bill Joel in a blazer and jeans walking across the Brooklyn Bridge during the summer talking with someone.
Christie Brinkley last year walking out of a Central Park South building into her waiting car looking absolutely glamorous!
Marla Maples (remember her) ran into her in her hallway during the time when her stolen panties were in the news. Haha. I wondered if she thought it was me since I had just left her apartment and she glanced at me a little longer than the socially norm. <ego alert> Maybe she had the hots for me. :-D
Tim Robbins buying some treats for his kid(?) in a candy store in Manhattan (forgot where.)

Last edited by newyorkergraduate; 01-28-2015 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City