Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
I'm not explicitly avoiding real neighborhoods (and I'd prefer one) but I haven't had much luck finding something within my budget (max $3k for a studio/1br) that is a reasonable size. I saw a few in East Village, Gramercy, Flatiron, West Village and Chelsea. Most had some major issue (too small even by my low expectations, on the ground floor with no light, or out of my budget range with broker fee). I'm not even that picky, but I sound like I am!

Am I just looking at the wrong places?
Do you know where you will work yet ? That should be a major consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 12,426 times
Yup! My work is in Flatiron (a block from the actual building).

Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM

345 posts, read 853,858 times
You're close to 3rd avenue between 23th & 36th street plenty of bars for people your age.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
I've put a few people on 46 and lex large apts in a certain building and way underpriced. The drawback is not much to do in the area BUT don't worry about it you can easily go anywhere from there. If you really need stuff to do right outside your doorstep that puts you close to work and i would say try UES and uws, particular more with uws of looking for gay friendly. Lots of stuff within your budget. Don't hesitate to ask me any question via private message.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:42 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Definitely an improvement but still pretty much a non neighborhood.You seem to be avoiding real neighborhoods for some reason.Is it because you don't want to have to use subways to get to work or something?

No. This is a real neighborhood, and much more so than OP's Midtown choice.

The 57th St/9th Ave location, unlike the Grand Central apartment, is definitely a residential neighborhood. Plenty of apartments around, not office buildings. And with that comes all the residential amenities you could want--quick jog to Central Park, the West Side Greenway, inexpensive restaurants on 9th Ave, walk to Lincoln Center, plenty of neighborhood dry cleaners, grocers, etc. And it's neither frat-bro atmosphere nor fuddy-duddy old. It's one of those neighborhoods where grown folks live, if you get what I mean. It is a dense neighborhood, for sure, but still one where lots of people actually live, unlike your other choice. You will meet people in the area and become a familiar at local stores, something that would be more unlikely (but not impossible) in Midtown. Basically it's just a "warmer" neighborhood feel. Also, it's only a block from Columbus Circle, so transportation via subway is convenient. (Or walk to 7th Ave to get the R/N trains to the Flatiron)

Both locations will be "real" New York, but they'll feel radically different, so choose what you think fits you better.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-12-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the directness. I think I've ruled out this area. An alternative is a place at the northeast tip of Hell's Kitchen at 9th ave/57 st. It seems to offer more of what I'm looking for and I like the quick access to Central Park. Any thoughts?
Gay Paradise. Supermarkets are EXPENSIVE. Crowded full of tourists. Close to any subway line. The park will get old when the warmer weather comes due to over crowding.

Lived in the area for 15 years now.

Str8 on a budget and hates crowds !

Old 01-12-2015, 04:54 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
@OP - Turtle Bay is great if you want to walk 3 blocks to your office and start work. As mentioned, it caters to the 9 to 5 crowd so a lot of stores don't stay open real late and some are closed on the weekends besides the clothing stores.

All of Manhattan is LGBT friendly except anything past 88th and Broadway.

Hells Kitchen is nice too as well as 5th and 8th.

Since you asked the LGBT question, I wanted you to know anything below 34th street will be party city and you'll probably end up with a new man in your bed every night. That's what all my gays have told me. They've shown some of their hook ups and it's shocking.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
@OP - Turtle Bay is great if you want to walk 3 blocks to your office and start work. As mentioned, it caters to the 9 to 5 crowd so a lot of stores don't stay open real late and some are closed on the weekends besides the clothing stores.

All of Manhattan is LGBT friendly except anything past 88th and Broadway.

Hells Kitchen is nice too as well as 5th and 8th.

Since you asked the LGBT question, I wanted you to know anything below 34th street will be party city and you'll probably end up with a new man in your bed every night. That's what all my gays have told me. They've shown some of their hook ups and it's shocking.
Thanks for all of the responses! I'm going to look at a few more places on the west side between 14th and 57th tomorrow, but the 9th ave/57st place sounds reasonable as a backup if I don't see anything else I immediately like.

I'm well past prime party age (and interest), so I'll keep that in mind

Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,198 times
57th and 9th is a great area.

The best advice a realtor gave me was: The lower your rent, the better. But if you like splurging, please go right ahead. Some people have it made like that.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to NYC next month and found a nice apartment at 46th/Lexington. As I'm unfamiliar with Manhattan I wanted to get people's opinion on what this area is like -- I have these questions/concerns:
- I'm in my 30s so I don't want to fight with mobs of students at bars, but I do like *some* nightlife. How is this area for that?
- How touristy is this area?
- Are there decent noncommercial restaurants nearby (a yelp search was ambiguous)?
- Is this a particularly LGBT friendly area?

Thanks to whoever has any thoughts (strong opinions are welcome!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
You're close to 3rd avenue between 23th & 36th street plenty of bars for people your age.
Did you even read the OP? What you suggested is Exactly what he DOESN'T want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: