Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 PM

193 posts, read 416,962 times

Advertisements

And one more thing Torper.... I don't know what kind of job you have now, but I'm assuming it's not a union job. Because if it was you would understand that unions were created in part to stop exactly what you are suggesting. So I'm waiting to hear exactly how you would have handled it differently. Then I'll be back to explain to you why that wouldn't work..... your turn...

Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,735 times
He's an office white collar guy. This guy wanted this job so bad. I can taste the bitterness through the internet. So many experts on how Dsny should be run with absolutely no clue about the actual job. I wish they'd let morons like him ride around with us for a shift.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,333 times
Having privates take care of snow will cost 4...FOUR times more and never ever ever ever

Everrrrrrrr work.

Just because your street looks sexy you think there's no work to be done. You're dumb....and ignorant to the world around you. You think when you wake up the next day to non slippery streets and less snow that it magically melted away? The snow would sit here for months. We're carrying it away to lots to be melted, hauling it away from streets to improve driving conditions and while driving around you melt the snow....It's 12 degrees and that puddle of water would then be ice if not for those spreaders. Oh we had privates working too....a bunch but as usual, all but one vanished. Who's picking up the garbage the days the snow fell? No one....that's overtime. We don't need nor want to spend 12 hours working, 8 sleeping, and 1 or more traveling to maybe see our families for 3 if they're home the 3 we are home for, so a bunch of people who have no clue how to run a snow operation can tell us how much better they could all do it. It's snowed forever in nyc and it's been managed and if there was a more cost effective, better way to do it, they'd be doing it.

Also snow money is a constant federal pool fund....therefore you pay the same amount of taxes to it every year whether they p use it or not so the money either gets paid to us or sits in a government bank account but either way the "stress" on the taxpayer is the same.

Proud of the guys I did hauling with yesterday. They worked hard.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
He's an office white collar guy. This guy wanted this job so bad. I can taste the bitterness through the internet. So many experts on how Dsny should be run with absolutely no clue about the actual job. I wish they'd let morons like him ride around with us for a shift.
Yes all his posts are about dsny. "Sorry I don't want to sound dumb but" posts and he even said after doing 15 years on the job he'd do another 20 lmao.. guess that won't happen.. so he'll just bash and act like he ain't being biased.. funny thing is everyone on here was nothing but nice and helpful.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
Yes all his posts are about dsny. "Sorry I don't want to sound dumb but" posts and he even said after doing 15 years on the job he'd do another 20 lmao.. guess that won't happen.. so he'll just bash and act like he ain't being biased.. funny thing is everyone on here was nothing but nice and helpful.
Oh I know. He would pm me about his hook is going to get him to Staten Island and desire for good vacation picks. LOL

Now he's a budget and snow removal expert.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM

263 posts, read 352,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydsnyqnsw View Post
Torper, first of all stop reading the NY Post. They are notoriously anti union. Remember during the 2010 storm they accused us of a slowdown & then later they were forced to retract it when it was proven stuff they wrote was false?

Not everyone can do this job. You may think it's easy & many days it is, but times like this make up for the easy days. You were the guy worrying if you could get summer vacation or worrying about o/t way before you got d/q, so I knew early on this job was not for you. We have been working 12-13 hr days since the day after MLK, thats 10 days straight already & more snow coming. We haven't seen our families. We've hardly slept. So we get a few 2k checks out of it, hell we earned them.

I dont really get your point. What exactly do you think should have been done when the storm turned out not to be as bad as expected? Send people home? cant do that, besides,there's still other stuff to do, collection was delayed & recycle still is delayed.

As someone earlier said, if there are no fires do they send half the fire fighters home? No, they get paid regardless & they are inside& warm. If theres a threat of a terrorist attack that doesn't happen, can they send the cops home? No. So why do you assume they can send us home ESPECIALLY since in our case theres a ton of other sh*t to still do.???

Everything happens for a reason, including your d/q. This is not meant as an insult, you couldn't do this job. Its not for everyone. We get paid a lot, but we work our asses off for it during snow.
Dude my problem is not with you , it's with the bozos that make the decisions. Anyone who says their was no down time or that they werent plowing streets with no snow or that they don't know someone who was , is lying. They put you out there , you are following orders. Bad orders. If any city agency is giving out unwarranted OT , they should all be investigated.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
Having privates take care of snow will cost 4...FOUR times more and never ever ever ever

Everrrrrrrr work.

Just because your street looks sexy you think there's no work to be done. You're dumb....and ignorant to the world around you. You think when you wake up the next day to non slippery streets and less snow that it magically melted away? The snow would sit here for months. We're carrying it away to lots to be melted, hauling it away from streets to improve driving conditions and while driving around you melt the snow....It's 12 degrees and that puddle of water would then be ice if not for those spreaders. Oh we had privates working too....a bunch but as usual, all but one vanished. Who's picking up the garbage the days the snow fell? No one....that's overtime. We don't need nor want to spend 12 hours working, 8 sleeping, and 1 or more traveling to maybe see our families for 3 if they're home the 3 we are home for, so a bunch of people who have no clue how to run a snow operation can tell us how much better they could all do it. It's snowed forever in nyc and it's been managed and if there was a more cost effective, better way to do it, they'd be doing it.

Also snow money is a constant federal pool fund....therefore you pay the same amount of taxes to it every year whether they p use it or not so the money either gets paid to us or sits in a government bank account but either way the "stress" on the taxpayer is the same.

Proud of the guys I did hauling with yesterday. They worked hard.
No one knows if something works until they try it and believe me the day is coming. It may not be in your lifetime , but it will happen. The snow removal will go private.

Anyone who thinks that any citizen in this country pays the same amout of taxes every year and that it never goes up , needs to have his head examined. I suppose the snow fund was the same amount in 1967 as it is now? Thought so.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
I didn't want the job , it was and is a last resort. And if I rode around with you , we'd be sure to finish your route in 4 hours and catch a nap or a game back at the garage. Talk about that.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
Ps: since you know so much what exactly is useless about having spreaders out? What should the city have done differently ? Apparently last year sanitation didn't do enough. This year they did too much? Like I said I'm going to stick to sour grapes. Because you've made no valid points. You Just posted a negatively spun article and said you agree because people on here said it too.. then you said your friends on the job said so too.
Have you ever plowed a street that didn't need plowing or finish a route in 4 hours and go back to the garage and sleep or watch direct tv?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydsnyqnsw View Post
And one more thing Torper.... I don't know what kind of job you have now, but I'm assuming it's not a union job. Because if it was you would understand that unions were created in part to stop exactly what you are suggesting. So I'm waiting to hear exactly how you would have handled it differently. Then I'll be back to explain to you why that wouldn't work..... your turn...
Unions exist to protect workers rights of collective bargaining, blah blah blah. What unions have turned into is a place for folks who do not want to work to go and hide for 20+ years , knowing they will never get fired.

Again , I know people who have this job and who have retired. One of them ran his own tree cutting business for the 20yrs he was on the job. He hardly ever competed a route , was AWOL more times than you can imagine and he is now retired with a full pension. The only thing the city was able to do to him was order hat he pay back a certain amount of days for all of his accomplishments. All you Union guys acting like there's no a holes among you or people at the top who don't have a clue. Wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City