Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:09 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times

Advertisements

It seems like a student with measles boarded an Amtrak train at Penn Station this week. How worried are you about getting the measles? If you have children, have your children been vaccinated?

Amtrak Travelers Warned of New York Measles Exposure - Bloomberg Business

Old 01-31-2015, 05:47 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
I don't really understand the whole measles/measles vaccination controversy from either side. Before there was a vaccine, kids got measles as a matter of course.In fact,parents would often make sure that their kids mingled with the kids who came down with it,in order to insure that their kids would get it and be done with it.Same with chicken pox,german measles and other "childhood" diseases.

I had measles,all of my siblings had measles and virtually every kid in the neighborhood had measles.So why is there now this big controversy about measles and scary headlines ? My mother made sure we all got measles at the same time. She also made sure that all of us got all of the other childhood diseases at the right age. A lot of mothers used to do that.

I read once that "pajama parties" were originally invented by mothers as a way to make sure that their daughters contracted diseases like measles at the right age….before child bearing age. As soon as one girl in a neighborhood contracted measles,the mothers would put them all in bed together to make sure they all got it.

Now it seems everyone is terrorized by measles.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-31-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Absolutely. Since I had measles, and chicken pox, as an infant, I went to my friends parties, but their mothers, and mine, said I was just there for the fun. I was not going to catch these diseases because I already had them. No, they did not quarantine back in those days (like today) for measles, chicken pox, etc. Today they treat measles as if it was EBOLA.

I'm going to NY in two weeks. Afraid of measles outbreak? No. I have natural immunity for life.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:19 AM

384 posts, read 512,715 times
Measles is in the news because it is a viral infection that most developed countries had "beaten" before anti-vaccine hysteria took hold.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
No worry on my part.
I had measles, mumps, whooping cough, rubella, influenza (Asian and Hong Kong,) and more strep infections than I can count.

I presume that my immunity is far stronger than any that could have been conferred by a shot.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 AM

664 posts, read 807,789 times
Amen.

The medical industry is fueling all this hysteria for two aims:

1. To make money for pharmaceuticals vis-a-vis vaccines, and
2. To get us all indoctrinated into thinking that humans NEED to have dozens of shots "for their own health", the real contents of which God Only Knows

It's a way for them to slowly take away our control over our own bodies.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't really understand the whole measles/measles vaccination controversy from either side. Before there was a vaccine, kids got measles as a matter of course.In fact,parents would often make sure that their kids mingled with the kids who came down with it,in order to insure that their kids would get it and be done with it.Same with chicken pox,german measles and other "childhood" diseases.

I had measles,all of my siblings had measles and virtually every kid in the neighborhood had measles.So why is there now this big controversy about measles and scary headlines ? My mother made sure we all got measles at the same time. She also made sure that all of us got all of the other childhood diseases at the right age. A lot of mothers used to do that.

I read once that "pajama parties" were originally invented by mothers as a way to make sure that their daughters contracted diseases like measles at the right age….before child bearing age. As soon as one girl in a neighborhood contracted measles,the mothers would put them all in bed together to make sure they all got it.

Now it seems everyone is terrorized by measles.
Who on earth wants to get a disease these days and miss out on school and work for weeks? This isn't the 17th century whe nyour parents were raising you.

I never had measles, being born in the late 20th century (vaccines and modern science was available then, something people born centuries ago didn't have access too).

For the more serious diseases like polio and smallpox which can kill or permanently disfigure, vaccines have saved many, many lives.

Even flu shots can save lives, along with antivirals for those actually infected by the flu. Many thousands of people per year die from the flu, and if you're talking about people with weaker immune systems even something like measles or a cold can be FATAL.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Maybe there is another fully vaccinated Measles Mary walking around. Out of 8 million people there couldn't be others? In country of billions there is only ONE?

Fear of measles? Hey, we have people running to the hospital if they think they have the FLU!!!!!! Medicine has fueled the fires of FEAR. Not just these childhood diseases, but ANYTHING. Repeat customers. Doctors have to have repeat customers the same as any other industry.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,727 times
Round up all the parents and charge them with attempted homicide, then vaccinate the children.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Round up all the parents and charge them with attempted homicide, then vaccinate the children.
Yes, if they are denying their kids medical care.

Next the parents can decide children don't need doctors at all. Got a 108 fever? Don't worry, some teas and all will make you feel all better at home, until the kid dies or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City