Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 AM

31,921 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But he DID according to the NTBS report. The brakes were applied for 30 seconds. And that was apparently not enough time for the train to slow down very much.

I agree, the third rail is a poor design choice, the lack of bells is a poor design choice and those bad choices makes the MTA potentially liable even if the train was driven by the Angel Gabriel with Satan behind the wheel of the Mercedes.
Try hitting the brakes of your car when going 50mph and see how long it takes you to stop. Life is not a Bugs Bunny cartoon where the vehicle stops *bing*. If it was you would end up like in said cartoon, being flung out of said car through the windshield. The laws of physics are what they are, end of story.

As for the fire; upon impact the fuel tank of the SUV ruptured pouring out petrol as the vehicle was shoved down the tracks. That fuel ignited causing the care to burst into flames as well as the train fire. If look at crash pictures the entire front of that train looks as if it was hit by a fireball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,845 times
There is a big difference between roads and vehicles on it versus train track and trains. A road is shared between drivers of different kind of vehicles and therefore one should be able to manage in case there is something wrong with one of the vehicles on the road eg disabled vehicle in a lane. Otoh train tracks are not shared with any other vehicles. This is why there are bells and whistles and gates. This means even though a road is crossing the tracks - you have no access to it. And this is why they don't need to run in such a way that they can stop if they see a vehicle where it is not supposed to be. If I was stupid enough to be the driver of that suv i'd have not come out to check paint damage rather crashed in the barrier and be out of way. Hell i'd have put it in reverse and slammed into the car behind me if that was going to give me those few very much needed inches rather than slam into the train. And these friends and families testimony thing does not mean that she couldn't have done that stupidity and it must be either train or the cars around.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
But he DID according to the NTBS report. The brakes were applied for 30 seconds. And that was apparently not enough time for the train to slow down very much.

I agree, the third rail is a poor design choice, the lack of bells is a poor design choice and those bad choices makes the MTA potentially liable even if the train was driven by the Angel Gabriel with Satan behind the wheel of the Mercedes.
No, I meant the engineer didn't have 30 seconds to stop when he saw her car pull onto the tracks in front of him. He was much closer. It took him 30 seconds to stop the train, yes, but he hit her only a few seconds after she pulled into the path of the train.

Think about it--if he was 30 seconds away when she was driving over the tracks, she would have had enough time to clear the tracks and there would have been no accident. She wasn't STOPPED on the tracks.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-08-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 AM

25,371 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:

She wasn't STOPPED on the tracks.
Yeah, she WAS.

She got out and inspected the gate lying on the rear of the car and then got back into the car. Gotta be stopped for that.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,845 times
Quote:
Yeah, she WAS.

She got out and inspected the gate lying on the rear of the car and then got back into the car. Gotta be stopped for that.
And is there a genuine reason for stopping on the track while gates are closed and bells and whistles going on?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Yeah, she WAS.
Maybe if you put the rest of your sentence in capital letters it'll make it true?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Yeah, she WAS.

She was stopped next to the tracks, in between the tracks and the crossing arm gate, when she got out to look at the rear of the vehicle. After she got back in, she then drove across the tracks and the rest is history.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:12 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
The 3rd rail design is certainly being called into question here. I've taken the Metro North a couple times when visiting the NY Tri-State area. Here in the Chicago area, our commuter railroad system is known as Metra. Metra seems to operate on a much heavier rail fleet compared to the Metro North. Most of our lines are not electrified, and are actually operated with large diesel locomotives I believe. I think that in a collision such as the Valhalla one, no one in the Metra train would've died most likely (the SUV would be destroyed of course). The Metro North & LIRR trains, on the other hand, almost look like sleeker New York subway trains that travel faster along longer distances (no locomotive). But unfortunately they do not seem as sturdy as our Metra trains in Chicago or the long-distance Amtrak trains.

Quote:

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The 3rd rail design is certainly being called into question here.
Yes but I'm not sure what the alternative is. We're not going to go back to overhead catenary and forget about diesel locomotives Chicago is in the stone age in that regard, we're not going to start polluting more. This was a pretty freak accident, perhaps the third rail can be re-enforced at grade crossings so that it's literally impossible to get dislodged in such a situation

Old 02-09-2015, 08:24 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
That would be a good idea, as would eliminating as many grade crossings as possible within the system. Perhaps implementing some sort of protective bumper may need to be looked into as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes but I'm not sure what the alternative is. We're not going to go back to overhead catenary and forget about diesel locomotives Chicago is in the stone age in that regard, we're not going to start polluting more. This was a pretty freak accident, perhaps the third rail can be re-enforced at grade crossings so that it's literally impossible to get dislodged in such a situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City