Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM

22 posts, read 50,108 times

Advertisements

What are some holes in your daily transportation life that you feel could be filled through technology?

Maybe an app or website, or an add-on to an existing app or website?

What are the struggles you face during either your commute or your day-to-day traveling? These struggles could be related to time, comfort, safety, cost, access, aesthetics, or anything else you could think of.

I'm working on some research on this topic and would love to hear some thoughts that could send me in a direction I hadn't thought of before.

I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by Rose488; 02-04-2015 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Improve title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Not frequent enough M21 service, but then if I catch it, I'm usually the only one on the bus. I can understand why they only come every 30 mins (20 mins on peak(?)).

Old 02-04-2015, 03:42 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
My neighborhood has late-night safety issues. When I exit my subway station, I have this choice: walk 8 blocks home or go stand for a local bus. However, the new "in-real-time" bus-locating apps (Moovit, or the MTA's) don't function inside subway stations. So they don't help me decide soon enough. I want to get this info quickly (= how long before the next real-time bus, at a given bus stop..) to decide whether it's smarter tonight to wait, or walk. I want to move with confidence, not stand outside a train station typing on my phone to ask the existing apps. Or at least make it faster/more automatic to ask about the same-ol stop, same bus every time since I'm almost home.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-04-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
My neighborhood has late-night safety issues. When I exit my subway station, I have this choice: walk 8 blocks home or go stand for a local bus. However, the new "in-real-time" bus-locating apps (Moovit, or the MTA's) don't function inside subway stations. So they don't help me decide soon enough. I want to get this info quickly (= how long before the next real-time bus, at a given bus stop..) to decide whether it's smarter tonight to wait, or walk. I want to move with confidence, not stand outside a train station typing on my phone to ask the existing apps. Or at least make it faster/more automatic to ask about the same-ol stop, same bus every time since I'm almost home.

They are working to have all the stations have WiFi which would help you with this problem. I agree having a digital display of the time of the next bus arriving would be nice though.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Can't get a seat on the afternoon rush uptown A at midtown, need an app to tell me where to find a seat since I ride to Dyckman.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM

101 posts, read 171,985 times
I remember last time I visited NYC, I couldn't get cell phone reception underground at subway stations. Granted, this has more to do with the carrier, but it does pose an issue if you were expecting an important call or needed internet access.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose488 View Post
What are some holes in your daily transportation life that you feel could be filled through technology?

Maybe an app or website, or an add-on to an existing app or website?

What are the struggles you face during either your commute or your day-to-day traveling? These struggles could be related to time, comfort, safety, cost, access, aesthetics, or anything else you could think of.

I'm working on some research on this topic and would love to hear some thoughts that could send me in a direction I hadn't thought of before.

I greatly appreciate it!
Well, for starters, the Staten Island Ferry doesn't have a real-time tracker. It would be nice to know that if it's 6:59PM, and the 7PM boat is delayed, that I don't have to run for it. (It would also come in handy for those days when they operate on a reduced schedule. It's 8:19 and you think you're going to catch the 8:30 ferry, but it becomes the 8:20 ferry and the next ferry is at 8:40).

It would be nice if they expanded that tracking technology to the lettered lines (BMT/IND division).

I have plenty of other complaints, but they can't really be fixed with technology, just common sense. The nearest bus route is almost a half a mile away, even though there is clearly need and demand for more convenient service. They ripped out the bus stop that was a mile away for the bus coming from Brooklyn, inconveniencing people in my neighborhood for no reason. On the weekends, the X17 stops running at 8:30PM on Saturday and Sunday evenings, despite being busier than all of the BM express routes combined.

They should use the technology to ensure more reliable service, and while they claim they can, more can and should be done. There's times when buses are scheduled 30 minutes apart, but they come back-to-back, leaving an hour gap, when there's plenty that could be done about that (short-turns, etc)

Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Grand Central downtown platform and trains packed as early as before 7:30am. Don't see a solution to this though. Maybe some day Metro North can be extended to Fulton.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Escalators would be great if they could be added along the Queens Blvd. local stops from the street level to the mezzanine level. Not only would that help with carrying stuff and who have lower body disabilities but also people would have another alternative for crossing the "boulevard of death" safely!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 AM

251 posts, read 341,950 times
No consistency at the subway stations. For example some subway lines have a digital clock on the platform indicating when the next train will arrive. But some subway lines don't have this. On top of it, the MTA personnel at the station rarely announce delays. It just helps to ease the mind knowing when the next train is coming.

Also, subway stations tend to be dirty because there are not enough garbage cans spread across the station and the platform. More of these would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: