Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:56 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, you're in denial.

Harlem and Bedstuy are not the most violent or poor Black neighborhoods and both have an influx of non Blacks. Partially because poor Blacks are being priced out of these neighborhoods they are a lot better for those who remain (safer, nicer stores, etc).
Smh. Ok then. If you live in East New York, it's 20 minutes to the Financial District via A train. Not far. South Bronx aint far from Midtown.

Quote:
South of 96th Street, or in East River Brooklyn or Queens I have been to many tech, film, and other industry events. You will not see the typical Black person from a poor neighborhood at any NYC cultural institution. They remain marginalized in ghettos and if you can't even understand what I am talking about you have proven my point.
What poor person from any race are you gonna see at any NYC cultural institution unless its a kid on a school trip? What does that have to do with Stop n Frisk?

Quote:
I am a member of the WGAe. I have participated in other major film organizations or been to events sponsored by other major film organizations. I usually can count the other Blacks on one hand. Ditto at art galleries. Ditto at other cultural institutions. This stuff can be more important than you realize as people get jobs and learn of job opportunities through important social contacts. If all your contacts are hood Blacks then you'll have extremely poor opportunities.
Peacock mentality. Congrats on being a member of the WGAe (I don't know what that is, and not in the mood to Google it).

Quote:
What is the percentage of Blacks admitted into the city's top public schools? Oh, they are 5% Black. Blacks are underrepresented.

In short, anything to do with being well educated, having money, or having class Blacks are underrepresented in NYC, and in any profession that pays well Blacks are often underrepresented in a NYC context. In short disproportionately they are not participating in the city socially because they cannot afford to outside the ghetto.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing or hating, but at the same time there's no point in lying.
What is this participating in the city socially that you keep bringing up? Why must I or anybody else need to validate themselves by hanging out at some mixer? You've moved like 12 times in the past 5 years (who moves from Far Rockaway to Wakefield????), you don't own, you have no stability.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing or hating, but at the same time there's no point in lying.

You are striving to be something that you're not. It's like a big charade. All you talk about is I went to Ivy League, I did this, I did that. And what does it matter to the rest of us IP addresses?? You are confused my brother. Find out who you are and come to peace with yourself. Be who you really want to be. Good night.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Smh. Ok then. If you live in East New York, it's 20 minutes to the Financial District via A train. Not far. South Bronx aint far from Midtown.

What poor person from any race are you gonna see at any NYC cultural institution unless its a kid on a school trip? What does that have to do with Stop n Frisk?

Peacock mentality. Congrats on being a member of the WGAe (I don't know what that is, and not in the mood to Google it).

What is this participating in the city socially that you keep bringing up? Why must I or anybody else need to validate themselves by hanging out at some mixer? You've moved like 12 times in the past 5 years, you don't own, you have no stability.

You are striving to be something that you're not. It's like a big charade. All you talk about is I went to Ivy League, I did this, I did that. And what does it matter to the rest of us IP addresses?? You are confused my brother. Find out who you are and come to peace with yourself. Be who you want to be. Good night.
I am not striving to be something that I am not. I did indeed go to the Ivy League. Unlike certain Blacks on this forum who constantly cry about the police, I had no issues under Giuliani or Bloomberg himself. I'm not being priced out of the city.

I'm very happy that I do have lots of wealthy non Black friends who have mentored and advised be professionally, when hood Blacks could offer me nothing.

Oh and I am sure I will move again because honestly it is what I do. I'm not trying to live in one ****ty place for my entire life. I am going to be in NYC for the next few years, but after that I may very well move again depending on my mood and where I get professional opportunities.

It's what I do. I've had the opportunity to see much of the country and much of the world.

WGAe is the union for screenwriters and tv writers, if you know what they are. Writers generally have unstable lives but I knew that going in. I chose the creative arts but I have done other things outside them and I do have a day job.

But then again you made this conversation about me when it isn't about me.

Black communities in NYC by and large are failed communities full of criminals and underachievers of all walks of life.

You're attaching me personally because what I said is true. Nobody wants to be in a poor all Black neighborhood because of safety and other concerns. Anyone Black who moves up socioeconomic ladder would have nothing to do with the poor Black parts of Brooklyn or the Rockaways or Jamaica.

If things were going so well stop and frisk and other issues with the cops wouldn't keep surfacing. Various city administrations decided to reduce crime by reducing the population of poor Blacks and to a degree they succeeded as the Black population of NYC is declining.

You can insult me all you want but these facts will not change one bit. Deal with it.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-07-2015 at 01:16 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 AM

Oh and on the upper end lack of education denies opportunities to many NYC Blacks. On the low unskilled end employers prefer Mexicans and other Hispanics over Blacks (even West Indians). Look at Manhattan's service sector. The jobs that tip (and therefore have over the minimum wage) have few Blacks. Bartenders, hotels, restaurants. But you'll see many Black minimum wage cashiers.

So a chunk of Blacks are falling behind in NYC (many of them move to so called Southern paradises).

So even in the lower end many Blacks don't participate in NYC. Hanging out in the hood and never leaving your neighborhood or your comfort zone isn't participating in the city.

If you can't figure out why this is important, you've proven my point.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:29 AM

And since you decided to personally attack me Seventh and go there about what I've done in my life.

Being that I do have a degree (Ivy League), have no criminal record, etc compared to many of the Black men you know that in and of itself is an achievement and you know it, regardless of how many times I move or will move in the future.

As for the rest I don't put out full details of my life on message boards.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Still waiting on those links.
Why? Do you really need links to show who commits what crimes? In NYC white collar crimes tend to be committed by white people, so the SEC and the FRB overwhelming investigate and examine the trading books and records of practices managed by white people. In a similar manner, black and Hispanics commit most of the street crimes in NYC, so their neighborhoods tend to be policed with greater force. Not saying that I agree with stop and frisk, I've been stopped myself. Just saying that the only reason it is racial is because the neighborhoods with the crime issues lack white people to stop, and black people tend to lack trading books worth going after by authorities.

Just in case you want to cover all racial makeups in this city, ICE probably profiles Asians and Hispanics regarding immigration issues more than say Europeans and Caribbeans. Money laundering officials probably go after Italians, Russians, Chinese and Arabs, more so than anyone else. Same with the FBIs organized crime bureau.

All of this is common sense. No need for bias media links as support.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
You don't feel any way typing that?

Poverty breeds crime, not race.

Why don't they base Stop and Frisk on a combination of the poorest census tracts in the city, then analyze the crime within those census tracts. If they would have did that, then they would have figured out a long time ago to flood NYCHA. I've been saying for years a lot of the problems in this city would have been solved if NYPD completely flushed NYCHA and made it safe for the middle class to come back there and stabilize the projects and the surrounding area. But nobody wants to listen to the humble MoD....

Instead they want to stop every Black and Hispanic on the street corner. People were getting shot during Stop and Frisk, and people are still getting shot now....100% of the crap around my way comes from the projects across the street I'm looking at as I type this!
You have every right to choose not to live within proximity to housing projects. When I look for housing, criteria #1 was to be at least a 10 block radius from a project building. You should do the same for your own QOL. Even when my wife wanted to look at a condo in Dumbo, I vetoed it because it was too close to the PJs.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why? Do you really need links to show who commits what crimes? In NYC white collar crimes tend to be committed by white people, so the SEC and the FRB overwhelming investigate and examine the trading books and records of practices managed by white people. In a similar manner, black and Hispanics commit most of the street crimes in NYC, so their neighborhoods tend to be policed with greater force. Not saying that I agree with stop and frisk, I've been stopped myself. Just saying that the only reason it is racial is because the neighborhoods with the crime issues lack white people to stop, and black people tend to lack trading books worth going after by authorities.

Just in case you want to cover all racial makeups in this city, ICE probably profiles Asians and Hispanics regarding immigration issues more than say Europeans and Caribbeans. Money laundering officials probably go after Italians, Russians, Chinese and Arabs, more so than anyone else. Same with the FBIs organized crime bureau.

All of this is common sense. No need for bias media links as support.
That's bull. Why aren't cops stopping Hispanics or Asians on the street and asking for everyone's papers?
Poverty breeds crime not race.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You have every right to choose not to live within proximity to housing projects. When I look for housing, criteria #1 was to be at least a 10 block radius from a project building. You should do the same for your own QOL. Even when my wife wanted to look at a condo in Dumbo, I vetoed it because it was too close to the PJs.
It doesnt bother me personally living across the street from them. I'm just stating facts. Feel free to quote where I ever said it bothered me.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
That's bull. Why aren't cops stopping Hispanics or Asians on the street and asking for everyone's papers?
Poverty breeds crime not race.
I don't think NYPD has the authority. Its a federal issue. You should look into how Arizona gets away with it and vote accordingly.

I thought Asians had the highest poverty rate in the city?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
It doesnt bother me personally living across the street from them. I'm just stating facts. Feel free to quote where I ever said it bothered me.
It doesn't bother you that by living across the street from the projects increases your odds of being stop and frisked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City