Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 28,464 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- will be starting a job at a hospital in Newark in a few months... and have no idea about housing etc. *I used to live in Brooklyn (sunset park) for a few years and loved it* but know zero about NJ.

Will be getting to the hospital fairly early in the AM (7:00) and leaving work around 7:00 pm

1): is Newark as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be for a young(ish) single female?

2): is the commute from Brooklyn or Manhattan Feasible and How long does it take? (I will have a car, but just in case is it accessible via train)

3): Which parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn would be best to look at, as far as commute is concerned? (hospital is at 201 lyons ave)

I dread the idea of living in suburban NJ- and the much smaller dating pool. I literally know men that refuse to date outside of Manhattan/Harlem. Any advantages to living in NJ neighborhoods close to Newark?

Thank so much for your help! Don't have that much time to plan, as my job begins mid-June!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloes_mamma View Post
Hi everyone- will be starting a job at a hospital in Newark in a few months... and have no idea about housing etc. *I used to live in Brooklyn (sunset park) for a few years and loved it* but know zero about NJ.

Will be getting to the hospital fairly early in the AM (7:00) and leaving work around 7:00 pm

1): is Newark as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be for a young(ish) single female?

2): is the commute from Brooklyn or Manhattan Feasible and How long does it take? (I will have a car, but just in case is it accessible via train)

3): Which parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn would be best to look at, as far as commute is concerned? (hospital is at 201 lyons ave)

I dread the idea of living in suburban NJ- and the much smaller dating pool. I literally know men that refuse to date outside of Manhattan/Harlem. Any advantages to living in NJ neighborhoods close to Newark?

Thank so much for your help! Don't have that much time to plan, as my job begins mid-June!
1) Depends on which part of Newark you're going to. Since you're going to Beth Israel, you'll be in the Weequahic neighborhood, which has both nice and very hood parts. However, you'll be good going to and from work.
2. It's feasible as I do it all the time and depending on the time, it takes about an hour and a half.
3. What kind of neighborhoods in BK and Manhattan are you looking for? I don't want to just give out any neighborhood.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
What's the difference? Date in Newark. It is still america, ya know?

Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
Newark is rough if you venture beyond the hospital. The Weequahic neighborhood is definitely one of the rougher hoods in the city. The hospital though has pretty good security. Parking in a secure ramp or lot is a must. Be careful driving & lock your doors. There is no reason to fear though. The longer you're there, the more comfortable you'll be.

Do you really want to deal with driving on the Verrazona Bridge, Lincoln or Holland Tunnels on a daily basis? The commute would be rough even with no traffic. I think that living in an area of Manhattan close to the Holland or Lincoln tunnel is most feasible but then having a car there becomes an expensive hassle. In Brooklyn, a car would be somewhat easier to park but the commute would be far worse.

Have you considered Hudson County? It's nudged between New York & Newark. It's very urban & less expensive than NY. The commute to NYC & the hospital would be a lot easier.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Newark is rough if you venture beyond the hospital. The Weequahic neighborhood is definitely one of the rougher hoods in the city. The hospital though has pretty good security. Parking in a secure ramp or lot is a must. Be careful driving & lock your doors. There is no reason to fear though. The longer you're there, the more comfortable you'll be.

Do you really want to deal with driving on the Verrazona Bridge, Lincoln or Holland Tunnels on a daily basis? The commute would be rough even with no traffic. I think that living in an area of Manhattan close to the Holland or Lincoln tunnel is most feasible but then having a car there becomes an expensive hassle. In Brooklyn, a car would be somewhat easier to park but the commute would be far worse.

Have you considered Hudson County? It's nudged between New York & Newark. It's very urban & less expensive than NY. The commute to NYC & the hospital would be a lot easier.
Hi, thanks for the response. I appreciate your suggestion of Hudson County, is that the name of the vicinity or literally the name of the county? The rough commute plus expense of car are all great points that need to be weighed, thanks for reminding me about parking costs!!

My initial browsing of the Ironbound neighborhood showed so much crime on the crime map! And things such as stabbings/shootings, burglary, and a lot of carjackings. That is way too intimidating for me, not sure this country bumpkin can ever be comfortable.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
1) Depends on which part of Newark you're going to. Since you're going to Beth Israel, you'll be in the Weequahic neighborhood, which has both nice and very hood parts. However, you'll be good going to and from work.
2. It's feasible as I do it all the time and depending on the time, it takes about an hour and a half.
3. What kind of neighborhoods in BK and Manhattan are you looking for? I don't want to just give out any neighborhood.
Thanks for your reply-

1) when you say Weequahic will be good going to and from work- did you mean as far as safety in the vicinity of the hospital or in terms of commuting? The hospital has garage parking attached to one of the buildings and there are security officers everywhere. Didn't get a chance to explore Newark, was literally only there for a few hours just to interview.

2) 1.5 hrs on average from Newark to Manhattan or BK? And is that in traffic? What about off traffic times? And lastly, would it be considered a "Reverse commute" from Manhattan or BK to Newark?

3) Well, would be looking for neighborhoods that are ideally situated for commuting. Since im not familiar with the freeways/tunnels/bridges etc- that's why wanted your opinion and advice on which neighborhoods to consider. In Brooklyn, I absolutely love Prospect Heights... but can see myself living almost anywhere in BK. I don't know anything about Manhattan- other than a few of my friends live in Harlem.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,914 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply-

1) when you say Weequahic will be good going to and from work- did you mean as far as safety in the vicinity of the hospital or in terms of commuting? The hospital has garage parking attached to one of the buildings and there are security officers everywhere. Didn't get a chance to explore Newark, was literally only there for a few hours just to interview.

2) 1.5 hrs on average from Newark to Manhattan or BK? And is that in traffic? What about off traffic times? And lastly, would it be considered a "Reverse commute" from Manhattan or BK to Newark?

3) Well, would be looking for neighborhoods that are ideally situated for commuting. Since im not familiar with the freeways/tunnels/bridges etc- that's why wanted your opinion and advice on which neighborhoods to consider. In Brooklyn, I absolutely love Prospect Heights... but can see myself living almost anywhere in BK. I don't know anything about Manhattan- other than a few of my friends live in Harlem.

Thanks!
1. Yes, I mean in terms of safety, you really should be fine. You're just going to and from work, you're not hanging out in the neighborhood, so I really wouldn't be too worried, though you should always use common sense as you would anywhere else.

2. I'm thinking of public transportation (MTA subway/bus, PATH train, NJ transit) and it really depends on the borough and which part of the borough you're coming from. If you're driving there, I can't give a real estimate since I don't drive.

3. Well if commute is the main thing you're looking at, then North Western BK (Downtown, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene) would be best and for Manhattan, the best would be Midtown, Chelsea, Tribeca, SoHo, and other such areas. Thing is: can you afford these type of neighborhoods?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
1. Yes, I mean in terms of safety, you really should be fine. You're just going to and from work, you're not hanging out in the neighborhood, so I really wouldn't be too worried, though you should always use common sense as you would anywhere else.

2. I'm thinking of public transportation (MTA subway/bus, PATH train, NJ transit) and it really depends on the borough and which part of the borough you're coming from. If you're driving there, I can't give a real estimate since I don't drive.

3. Well if commute is the main thing you're looking at, then North Western BK (Downtown, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene) would be best and for Manhattan, the best would be Midtown, Chelsea, Tribeca, SoHo, and other such areas. Thing is: can you afford these type of neighborhoods?

ah yes, money- I was paying appx $2300 for my old place and an additional $150 or so for parking garage. and ideally would like to spend appx the same or less (that was with utilities). Are any of those neighborhoods options? Not sure a roommate situation at my age is what I'm looking for but thats always an option if push comes to shove.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the response. I appreciate your suggestion of Hudson County, is that the name of the vicinity or literally the name of the county? The rough commute plus expense of car are all great points that need to be weighed, thanks for reminding me about parking costs!!
Hudson County is the county of New Jersey which includes Jersey City, Hoboken, and Bayonne (and other places). Jersey City might be your best bet; it's much more accessible to Newark by car than Manhattan or Brooklyn, and parts of it are accessible to Manhattan by train for night life (doesn't help with people not willing to date people from jersey though). It has its better and worse parts; you probably want to ask over in the NJ forum for details.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:45 AM

Oh no, didn't say It was me that had the problem dating in Jersey! It's just that I know for a fact most of my guy friends complain about dating outside the city. Thanks for explaining Hudson County, will look into it. Jersey City seems like a great option. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City