Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times

Advertisements

You care too much about what people think and if you meet someone who actually a thinks in the way that you fear, why even associate with the superficial.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
OP - your insecurities are getting the best of you. Do you think the first hipster in search of low rent and ethnic culture to plagiarize from cared what his friends thought of him moving to Brooklyn? Nope, for he is a pioneer who discovered Brooklyn and realized the native are not so bad. Soon after many more hipster decided to move to Brooklyn and now Brooklyn is as popular as it has ever been. You too can be a pioneer OP, go rediscover the outer Boroughs and claim it as your own. You are the modern day Christopher Columbus.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are the modern day Christopher Columbus.
Claiming to have discovered something when people were already there and then slowly removing the natives by calling them savages and replacing their way of life?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Claiming to have discovered something when people were already there and then slowly removing the natives by calling them savages and replacing their way of life?
Exactly.
The assumed superiority is the most objectionable thing.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 PM

515 posts, read 875,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
We could use a Christopher Columbus today in some of the uglier parts of Brooklyn.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
What would you think if you met a person socially who is a well-adjusted US-educated immigrant with a well-paying job in finance who lives in a heavily immigrant neighborhood (in a boro) as opposed to "trendy" hoods of Brooklyn and Manhattan where all yuppies tend to live? Like Brighton Beach for example or Astoria or Chinatown in Queens? Say this person IS actually of the ethnicity that is the majority in that neighborhood. Would most people think something is wrong with this person and consider him/her undatable and socially undesirable?

I am considering moving in a heavy immigrant neighborhood, mostly because I found it to be dirt-cheap, conveniently located train-wise and having amenities that I like. My student loan debt is really getting to me and I want to obliterate my student loan debt in one year which is impossible if I live in th City. However I am afraid to become a social outcast amongst my peers. Any thoughts?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Here in NYC these areas are called "Residential" neighborhoods and I would just think you're being smart by living with your parents. People in Manhattan aren't going to assume you're a FOB.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
I live on my family's estate and save so much not paying rent and the expenses that come with it. You do what you got to do to survive and save up so you come out with a bigger bank account

Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM

268 posts, read 239,885 times
What sort of career are you starting and what sort of people are you looking to join? I think that it is far more socially acceptable to live 6 people in a tiny chopped up walk-up than to live in the deep reaches of Queens for most professionals. If you are a banker, lawyer or something similar it will be very odd and people will wonder. If I heard that you lived in Brighton Beach or Flushing I would think that you lived with your parents or were married with kids.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Depends on your personality, I guess. I live in Queens and wouldn't date someone who lives in the Bronx, Staten Island or most of Brooklyn. But that's nothing to do with the characteristics of the neighborhood they choose to live in and everything to do with that I'm lazy and that's too far away from where I live.

I have friends who live all over the city and the reason we don't see each other much is a similar reason - we're older, more established (and tired lol), and don't have the time to run all over the place. I find it's easier to socialize with people who are conveniently located to me. If it were easy to get to their neighborhoods, then I wouldn't have an issue with going.

Less social, more lazy haha. But that's me. I also don't give a rat's butt about what people think about my choices.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

This is very true. She might be witty, cultured, lives the Wiliamsburg lifestyle and may even have a decent job but she attended NYU and has 200k in debt? I'd screw her and pass her along to the next guy. I'm good.
That right there is complete bias. I have a Masters in computer science from NYU and zero, yes, zero student debt loans. My job paid for it as a condition that I remain employed for three years. As a result, I do not have any debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: