Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,023 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I work in a public school here in the Bronx (NYC) and would like to know if i can double park within the time frame set for the street to be cleaned. The signs show a big "P" with a broom crossing over it with the following instruction:
Sign on side of street close to the school building: Monday and Thursday, from 9 AM to 10:30 AM
Sign on the other side of street: Tuesday and Friday, from 9 AM to 10:30 AM.

I noticed people (including myself) are going to double park on the next block (residential area) without problem. But it seems like no one want to take a chance and double park in front of the school during the normal sweeping time. Maybe they are not sure if it is allowed just like me. Recently i saw two cars double parking a couple of time without getting ticket. I am not sure if they were just lucky. Maybe they are informed more than me. I work in the school actually and feel like why should i move my car down the block to double part. Anybody with more clarification on this?

P.S: there is no other restriction sign.

Thanks.
mesn33
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 05:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
You can never double park in NYC.
While many officers do not enforce this during street cleaning, they can at any given time and ticket all double parked vehicles.

If you do decide to do it, just display your parking placard.
They can always give you a school zone ticket and you can fight that if you bring your placard to your hearing.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
I think the ones down the street were just lucky not to be ticketed. And sometimes, cars double parked on residential streets have someone lurking and watching it from inside a window, ready to run out and move it if someone blocked in has to leave, or starts honking. They look empty but really they're ready to be moved.

If you work at the school, you're not available to come out and move your car.

When a school is involved, there could be emergency vehicles (fire trucks) or school buses that need to come to the front of the building on unexpected hours.

Basically if you see a pattern of car parking in the neighborhood, follow along with it. The neighbors usually know what will and won't happen to them by the ticketing officers.

If you have the relationships, try asking a school custodian or secretary who's worked there a long time, and drives to work, what do they know about it. Of course if they advise you wrong, they won't pay your ticket.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 03-20-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesn33 View Post
Hello,
I work in a public school here in the Bronx (NYC) and would like to know if i can double park within the time frame set for the street to be cleaned. The signs show a big "P" with a broom crossing over it with the following instruction:
Sign on side of street close to the school building: Monday and Thursday, from 9 AM to 10:30 AM

I noticed people (including myself) are going to double park on the next block (residential area) without problem. But it seems like no one want to take a chance and double park in front of the school during the normal sweeping time. Maybe they are not sure if it is allowed just like me. Recently i saw two cars double parking a couple of time without getting ticket. I am not sure if they were just lucky. Maybe they are informed more than me. I work in the school actually and feel like why should i move my car down the block to double part. Anybody with more clarification on this?

Thanks.
mesn33
You don't need a "restriction sign" to tell you that you cannot double-park at any time of the day or night on any street in NYC.

Even if "everyone is doing it" that doesn't make it right nor would it stop a traffic cop from ticketing you and having your car towed.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You don't need a "restriction sign" to tell you that you cannot double-park at any time of the day or night on any street in NYC.

Even if "everyone is doing it" that doesn't make it right nor would it stop a traffic cop from ticketing you and having your car towed.
By law, you're correct. But in practicality, some residential neighborhoods in NYC are so tight for parking that it's a neighborhood pattern on weekdays to see block-long lines of double-parked cars sitting across from street-sweep "alternate side parking" for 90 minutes at a time. There's just no place to put all those cars for 90 minutes and get the work done of street-cleaning. So the ticketing cops look the other way on that double-parking pattern, although they surely could ticket any and all of them.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
By law, you're correct. But in practicality, some residential neighborhoods in NYC are so tight for parking that it's a neighborhood pattern on weekdays to see block-long lines of double-parked cars sitting across from street-sweep "alternate side parking" for 90 minutes at a time. There's just no place to put all those cars for 90 minutes and get the work done of street-cleaning. So the ticketing cops look the other way on that double-parking pattern, although they surely could ticket any and all of them.
Am finding less and less of that "over looking" on a wide scale these days.

NYPD and Traffic are not immune to community pressure and or social media reports about "not doing their job" when vehicles are double parked in an area as a matter of routine. If a supervisor is out on patrol and notices what appears to be large numbers of violations not ticketed someone will have to answer.

Am not saying it does not go on, just wouldn't count upon double parking a some sort of God given daily right.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,023 times
Thank you all for your very detailed feedback. Now i am well informed and would have in mind your thinking when i am about to double park.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:29 AM

I often wondered, as I sat double-parked in the freezing cold for 90 minutes in Washington Heights, whether my actually sitting in the car protected me from being ticketed.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I often wondered, as I sat double-parked in the freezing cold for 90 minutes in Washington Heights, whether my actually sitting in the car protected me from being ticketed.
Apparently yes, you can. See: Ticket for Double Parking while sitting in my car

Double parking is just that and is illegal unless rules state otherwise.

Do New Yorkers do it? Yes, does everyone get a ticket every single time? No, of course not but as my saint of a mother is fond of saying "just because everyone does it does not make it right".

Now I have seen NYPD LE and traffic tell persons who are double parked to move it along. Have also seen them merely get in front of a vehicle scan, and start writing a ticket.

It is like persons who sit in their cars on the wrong side for alternate side parking and think they won't get a ticket. *Wrong*. The sign/rules say *NO PARKING*. Sometimes again NYPD or Traffic will just ignore, others tell you to move, still some will start writing a ticket.

Washington Heights, parts of Harlem and a few other areas in the news now and then because residents complain that NYPD or Traffic violated an "unwritten agreement" where they double parked on the wrong side for street cleaning and left their vehicle unattended (to run inside for something or whatever) and came back to find a ticket.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesn33 View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
mesn33
For what it's worth, I've worked at a public school in the Bronx for 5 years. Every single morning except Wednesday, I and a horde of other staff members (usually service providers) had to double park and run back out at 11 or 1 or whenever it may be, to move our cars and park it. Not once, and I mean not once was I or anyone I worked with ticketed. The neighborhood I was in was very residential. And of course, school politics come in the way of retrieving the holy grail (aka parking pass from the principal) ...but that's a whole 'nother story. Anyways, do it at your own discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City