Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 9,127 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I have recently got a job opportunity in Long Island City (near Court square metro station) with annual package of roughly $ 85K (under L1 b visa).

I would need the members expert view on a decent location to stay for 2 people (myself and spouse) for around monthly rent of approx $1500. May be a studio would suffice for us or max a 1 BHK.

Many people have advised me on staying in New Jersey but I understand the commute would be very long from a decent place in NJ (Edison or Iselin) fitting that budget. Considering I would not mind a commute of about 45 mins to 1 hour is it better to stay somewhere in queens (Astoria or Jackson heights) or in New Jersey ?

I am also trying to make a rough estimation of basic monthly expenses as mentioned below.
Rent approx 1500 - 1600
Groceries (2 people) - 400$
Electricity & Gas - 200$
Cable and internet - 100 $
Phone - 80$
Travelling - 250$
Other including eating out - 150 $
Medical insurance (2 people) - 500$
all inclusive 3200 $

Request your opinion if I have considered majority expenses (may be not all). if not please guide me with additional requirements if any.

Also I want to understand the requirement for renting an apartment. I can get the employment letter from the employer, SSN will be obtained, however I do not have any credit history in US (good credit in India but not sure if that will be useful) nor any relative to sign a guarantee.

What are my options for renting an apartment with the above deficiencies..?

I have mentioned some of the suggested places above, however members can advise any other suitable locations other than the above considering the below.
1.Don't need really big apartments, have stayed in Mumbai and used to small apartment through my life.
2.Indian vicinity would be preferable for ease of specific groceries or Indian eating options..
3.Secure place.
4.closeness to subway is preferable as am not planning to buy a car at least for the 1st year.

your suggestions are highly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
I'm not too familiar with the Astoria rent prices but you could definitely find a decent-sized one bedroom in Jackson Heights. You also have the E train at that station which is express - it's only one stop to Court Square. Your commute time would probably be about 10 minutes. If you were coming from Astoria you'd probably have to take the N/Q train to Queensborough Plaza and then transfer to the 7. Or the R train to Jackson Heights and then transfer to the E. Commuting from NJ isn't worth it - that commute would most definitely be longer than an hour.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayd View Post
2.Indian vicinity would be preferable for ease of specific groceries or Indian eating options..
If this is important for you, you should listen to other Indians working in NYC. In NYC and NJ (Jersey City) there are Indian ethnic enclaves where you would find everything you need from your culture. However, if you prefer to immerse yourself in something different and assimilate, follow the advice of people here and find something in the hot affordable neighborhoods for transplants.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
You need your head examined if you chose to commute from NJ to LIC.
Queens all the way. There are plenty of Indian grocers in Queens.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Yes... Queens. Google a subway map for NYC & find out which lines go from LIC to nabes with a south asian population, off the top of my head it is the 7, N, R, E, F lines, maybe more. Find out where there are clusters of Indians along these routes. This will make your initial settling in a bit easier.

Astoria is probably too expensive for you, I don't know where Indians live to be honest, there are certainly stores in Jackson Heights catering to south asians.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 PM

Hi...

Many thanks to you guys for your wonderful suggestions.

Can you also give your suggestions on the monthly expense estimate that I had shared above.if it looks reasonable or have I missed any important components...

Also if some one can help with with some Indian neighborhoods other than Jackson heights may be little farther (one way travel less than 1 hour) from Court square which can provide me with cheaper but safe housing. Would help me in saving some bucks

Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
You can try the flushing area near the botanic garden. There is a Indian population there, but the majority is Chinese. Jackson heights has a Patel brother grocery which my coworker from India asked me to take him once, he felt like he was back in India walking through the stores. Biggest population of Indian will be in jersey city as most of them work for corporations in Manhattan.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the Information....

Request the members to please suggest on the expense estimate shared earlier. If it looks reasonable or have I missed any important components...

Also I understand that there are a few requirements for renting an apartment in New York - Credit History, Guarantee, One month Deposit, Annual Salary being greater than 40 times the rent etc..

Since I'm travelling from India I do not have any US credit history nor a guarantor. I can provide an employment certificate if required. Can the members please suggest on the options that I have so that I can be prepared while looking for an apartment..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Jackson Heights would be a good choice, has a large Indian community, relatively close by on the subway to workplace, decent neighborhood. Beware most Indians in Jackson Heights are from a different part of India than where you're from (not 100% sure, but I think the population is largely Bengali/Bangledeshi).

Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Wikipedia says that Indians make up about 5% of New York City residents. So -- not too many. I have heard that the Indian stores in Jackson Heights are mostly frequented by Indians who drive over from other places like Long Island and New Jersey. Not sure if that is true or not. I am sure there are some Indians who live in Jackson Heights, especially near the 74th St. hub, but I'm pretty sure that in my own JH building, which has 100's of residents, there are no Indians (also no Bengalis) However, I am several blocks away from the 74th St. area.

This article lists the following neighborhoods in Queens as having Indian populations: South Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Glen Oaks, Jackson Heights, Jamaica, Bellerose, Floral Park, Elmhurst and Flushing. http://www.aafny.org/cic/briefs/indian2013.pdf

One way to check for Indian food availability in a neighborhood is to go to New York Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors and type in Indian in the search field, and the neighborhood you're interested in living in in the location field. Like this for Richmond Hill Indian grocery Richmond Hill, Queens, NY

Besides Jackson Heights, there is a Patel Brothers in Flushing and an Apna Bazaar in South Ozone Park.
Apna Bazar Cash And Carry - Ozone Park - South Richmond Hill, NY | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City