Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 AM

17 posts, read 19,790 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Pavonia-Newport, NJ and have been living here from past 3 years. I love this part of the town simply because of 3 reasons: slightly bigger apartments, very quiet and safe neighborhood and an easy commute to mid-town (my work location). There is no other reason, to move, other than that I need some change at this moment.

So, I guess it is time to try a different location. I have a budget of $3200-$3700 for a 1 br rental apt and need some good suggestions regarding which areas I should target. I am more interested in areas in and around Brooklyn Heights (for the same reasons I mentioned above). And also, I am an Indian, if that matters.

I would appreciate your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:28 PM

5,124 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Midwood.
A lot of Indian and Pakistanis there. You can find a big safe place for half of ur budget.
You have BQF LINES go directly through mid Manhattan.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM

Thanks much. I appreciate your response. I will add Midwood to the list.

With no offence to anyone, living in an Indian neighborhood or not is not something that concerns me. But yes, living in a neighborhood where a certain race is not welcomed does. So I am open to any good areas.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM

5,124 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Don't forget Kensinton, a little closer, pricier and more Indian-heavy pockets around the church ave stop on the F line.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
Look near Grand Army Plaza. Study a subway map; you'll see how that neighborhood has use of Subways 2,3 and 4 (express). Plus there's the B, Q from Flatbush/7th Ave.

The combination of Prospect Park, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Public Library Headquarters, and Brooklyn Museum of Art is absolutely wonderful for anyone who enjoys nature and the arts. There's also a year-round outdoor farmers market every Saturday at Grand Army Plaza that brings fresh produce and artisan products close to where you live.

THe name of the neighborhood is Prospect Heights. If you can walk over to the adjacent neighborhood of Park Slope, you can enjoy all those charming expensive restaurants or shop for gifts, without having to pay those rents.

For Prospect Heights, begin by looking at big box buildings or converted brownstones around Eastern Parkway, Vanderbilt, Union or east of Flatbush Ave. Those big boulevards fan out from Grand Army Plaza. Plus all their sidestreets have appeal and are quieter residential blocks, quite safe.

Prospect Heights is notable as a racially well-integrated neighborhood; according to census it's around 50% white. The other half is a combination of many ethnicities, including African-American, West Indian, and Asians of many kinds. You won't find a big Indian grocery store there, but it sounds like you're looking for a different experience anyway.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 04-06-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 02:47 PM

Thanks much for your replies and great insights. These areas certainly look very promising, given the trajectory of property prices in NYC.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
My favorite areas are Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Fort Greene and Greenpoint. I would live in any of those areas in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Not sure what the prices are like these days in any of those neighborhoods, but I imagine that your budget will get you a one bedroom in any of those areas.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonforum View Post
Thanks much. I appreciate your response. I will add Midwood to the list.

With no offence to anyone, living in an Indian neighborhood or not is not something that concerns me. But yes, living in a neighborhood where a certain race is not welcomed does. So I am open to any good areas.
No reason to add Midwood to your list.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Williamsburg is usually the first Brooklyn nabe to add to your list, particularly if commuting to Midtown.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No reason to add Midwood to your list.
I agree. It's been a while since I've been to Midwood, but I don't think anyone with a budget of $3500 looking for a nice place in Brooklyn is going to be that interested in Midwood. I found it to be kind of boring, plus if I remember correctly it is a very religious area, which I don't really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: