Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn is no longer under the radar anymore. Everyone from anywhere but Brooklyn is trying to claim it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Soon we may be seeing a Made in Brooklyn tshirt for locals from the quickly gentrifying every-man's borough.

Ah, they have one already.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:02 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
When you think about the first half of so of the 20th century, Brooklyn projected a feeling, a vibe, of still being a city in its own right. During that time, the borough was only removed by half a century from the time it actually was a city.

the era i'm thinking of pretty much coincides with the Dodger era and when the Dodgers played the Giants, there was a sense of one city going up against another (not sure if the same dynamics would work with Nets and Knicks today).

brooklyn, of course, differed from the other outer boroughs because it alone was a city and retained that feeling even after Greater New York was created. Brooklyn always had more of a sense of place than did Qns, Brx, SI.

But now we're well more than a century past the creation of Greater New York. Areas close to the East River have seemed to have been taken over as part of Manhattan's orb. Nobody alive in NYC today (I think it is fairly safe to say) was alive when Brooklyn was a city of its own.

do you think the Brooklyn of today still has any sense left of being its own city, a place apart, or is that pretty much bygone by the time the 20th century ended and now as fully NYC as anyplace in the city?
No

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Soon we may be seeing a Made in Brooklyn tshirt for locals from the quickly gentrifying every-man's borough.

Ah, they have one already.
Anyone wearing that shirt probably wasn't born in Brooklyn. Definitely transplant hipster apparel.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM

290 posts, read 366,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
This is also Queens.
And I happen to live on the Queens side myself. Although we did live briefly on the Brooklyn side and we go there frequently for cheap shopping.

Always nice to find others who know the neighborhood and I see you are in Ridgewood yourself. More often than not when asked where I live, I find myself having to explain and even some natives tell me they are not familiar with the hood. I wonder why that is. Would guess either it's too far east or too far out on the M line.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
And I happen to live on the Queens side myself. Although we did live briefly on the Brooklyn side and we go there frequently for cheap shopping.

Always nice to find others who know the neighborhood and I see you are in Ridgewood yourself. More often than not when asked where I live, I find myself having to explain and even some natives tell me they are not familiar with the hood. I wonder why that is. Would guess either it's too far east or too far out on the M line.
You get that a lot with Ridgewood. People in Queens will think its in Brooklyn and people in Brooklyn will think its in Queens (or just have no idea that they actually even stepped foot out of Brooklyn). Honestly for myself, due to where it is located I find myself to be in Brooklyn just as much if not more so than Queens itself.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
studded, where did you get the idea i didn't see it the way you did…I was using the term "Greater New York" to mean the consolidation of 1898. that's why I would never have used the term "Greater NYC" because that was not the term used for the consolidation.

so basically you're lol-ing about something in which we are in total agreement.
Sorry that wasn't intended directly to you. The poster before me mentioned "Greater" and I believe a few others, so that's why I bought it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yeah...Brooklyn is much more into the generic pop culture scene than the other outerboros are.
But that was before it was in the limelight to be honest. For many natives of the borough it was cool even before people cared. Now there's a revitalization going on throughout the borough and outsiders are seeing what a gem the place has always been to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Brooklyn is no longer under the radar anymore. Everyone from anywhere but Brooklyn is trying to claim it now.
False. Granted Brooklyn is no longer an underdog but if you're a true Brooklynite you'll ALWAYS be proud of where you're from. Sure it's changing a bit from when we grew up but I'm grateful for that, to a certain extent. There were many times when I'd walk Downtown, before Barclays and think "Why is there a giant hole here" - Granted I was a kid but still very aware.

People can/will be nostalgic about the "old" Brooklyn but it's called evolution. No place in the history of mankind has remained the same forever.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 PM

55 posts, read 74,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If the question is whether Brooklyn has *any* sense of being a city, then the answer is a resounding yes.
I also suspect that anyone born and raised in one of the five boroughs (and doesn't travel much out of the borough) has the same sense of their borough being it's own place/city or whatever word we're using to describe being from "somewhere".

Aren't people from "Q-boro" considered "thorough"? If you're from "Bed Stuy" aren't you "do or die"? People from "BX", "The X", or "The Boogie Down" aren't from any ol' Bronx, they're from The Bronx, no? I think I'm in the small minority that actually says they're "from Manhattan", not NYC, LES, SoHo, Tribeca, UES, Harlem, etc.

University was the first time I mixed with people from Long Island and more often than not they lead with "I'm from Long Island" not the village, hamlet, or town they're from.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times

Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
False. Granted Brooklyn is no longer an underdog but if you're a true Brooklynite you'll ALWAYS be proud of where you're from. Sure it's changing a bit from when we grew up but I'm grateful for that, to a certain extent. There were many times when I'd walk Downtown, before Barclays and think "Why is there a giant hole here" - Granted I was a kid but still very aware.

People can/will be nostalgic about the "old" Brooklyn but it's called evolution. No place in the history of mankind has remained the same forever.
I'm not talking about native Brooklynites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
[/youtube]

Represent, mane! You know what time it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City