Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 PM

231 posts, read 402,340 times

Advertisements

I just was having a conversation about colleges with someone and we were talking about colleges and somehow that college by the Burger King in Riverdale came up (Manhattan College) and the guy referred to the area as a Jewish neighborhood. That threw me because the only family I know there is a buddy of mine whose parents are from Ireland so I have always associated it as a rich irish neighborhood, when you hang out over there by the Riverdale diner and VC park you always here people with brogues.

So is Riverdale widely perceived as a Jewish area? It don't matter to me it's still the nicest part of New York north of 14th street IMO and i would live there if I had the $$$ in a second. Just curious about the perception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
That's my imperession though I know it's not all Jewish.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Riverdale has a Jewish presence, but not to the extent of Williamsburg or Midwood in Brooklyn. I think the neighborhood is a decently-mixed upper-middle class to upper class demographic. The Irish you see in the neighborhood are spillovers from Woodlawn and Kingsbridge, and the southern part of Yonkers. But I don't think there are much Irish left in Kingsbridge any more; Woodlawn is the last Bronx Irish holdout. Even today, a lot of the older pubs when Washington Heights was heavily Irish have left; only a handful remain.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Riverdale has a Jewish presence, but not to the extent of Williamsburg or Midwood in Brooklyn. I think the neighborhood is a decently-mixed upper-middle class to upper class demographic. The Irish you see in the neighborhood are spillovers from Woodlawn and Kingsbridge, and the southern part of Yonkers. But I don't think there are much Irish left in Kingsbridge any more; Woodlawn is the last Bronx Irish holdout. Even today, a lot of the older pubs when Washington Heights was heavily Irish have left; only a handful remain.
Yeah i know that a lot of the old irish areas like Kingsbridge and Bainbridge (Norwood) have become Spanish. Woodlawn feels like a little Irish village because it's so cut off from the rest of the Bronx I love it there..we celebrated my 18th at Rory Dolans over there on the Yonkers side of Woodlawn. It's funny to me that out of all the boroughs the Bronx has the most fresh off the boat Irish people. The only other part of NYC that's irish is Gerritsen Beach but that's Irish American which is a different thing.

I just never got the Jewish vibe in all the time I spent in Riverdale besides seeing some Shuls but this is NYC so there are Shuls everywhere. I am guessing it's assimilated Jews like the kind that live on the Upper West Side or Forest Hills/Kew Gardens not like Crown Heights Hasidics, right? Cause I've been there on Saturdays and I think I woulda saw some of that. Only part of Bx I associate with Jews is Pelham Parkway area. Although I have seen lots of Orthodox Jews in Washington Heights on the western part around the 190 A train, think it's called Hudson Heights over there.

Funny how there are so many little nuances about areas that a native could live here their whole life like me and not know about it.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Riverdale is definitely a Jewish neighborhood. For sure there are other ethnic groups living there, but middle- and upper-middle-class, more secular Jews are the ones who define this neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Riverdale is definitely a Jewish neighborhood. For sure there are other ethnic groups living there, but middle- and upper-middle-class, more secular Jews are the ones who define this neighborhood.
And see I always thought it was more catholic with some Jews (every nice area besides Woodlawn has Jews)..but you said it's secular right? So it's not like the kosher, black hat eastern parkway Jewish types.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Riverdale has an Orthodox Jewish presence, but it is relatively small, most are reform or secular. There are a couple of old mansions that have been converted as part of an Orthodox congregation in the estate area, for example. The area of Riverdale is also somewhat dependent as to what you will find, with more Irish in the northern areas of the neighborhood, closer to Van Cortlandt Park and the Yonkers border. There are two Catholic churches in Riverdale, but many more temples, an Episcopal Congregation on the edge of Fieldston, and a Presbyterian church on the west side of Henry Hudson Parkway. The Riverdale Diner is actually in Kingsbridge, but if you went to Liebman's the demographic would be more heavily Jewish, with some others in the mix. There are many groups in Riverdale, but the area is still predominantly Jewish.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
I just was having a conversation about colleges with someone and we were talking about colleges and somehow that college by the Burger King in Riverdale came up (Manhattan College) and the guy referred to the area as a Jewish neighborhood. That threw me because the only family I know there is a buddy of mine whose parents are from Ireland so I have always associated it as a rich irish neighborhood, when you hang out over there by the Riverdale diner and VC park you always here people with brogues.

So is Riverdale widely perceived as a Jewish area? It don't matter to me it's still the nicest part of New York north of 14th street IMO and i would live there if I had the $$$ in a second. Just curious about the perception
Riverdale is definitely a very Jewish neighborhood . You are having a problem because the area you are talking about is barely even Riverdale. At most it's the very edge and a lot of people consider it Kingsbridge. The "real Riverdale " is up the hill from there,centered around Johnson Avenue . If you hang out up there you will understand the difference. Also, North Riverdale was always a pretty Irish area . It is Central Riverdale and the areas West of the HH Parkway that are mostly Jewish.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 PM

88 posts, read 84,731 times
yes riverdale is considered pretty jewish

Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
The Johnson Ave area is very Jewish-I worked at a Kosher Restaurant there. Other parts of Riverdale, especially closer to Broadway are more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City