Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM

147 posts, read 197,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Ding, ding, ding.

People who create multiple handles to obsess over this are pretty much the only ones who care.
And the ones who like to label themselves as new yorkers, but in fact they are not.. they are just "domestic immgrants". They'll go back where they are from once they realized they can afford the rent at the hip place they are living at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Since the label "NYer.." does not stand for being tough anymore. I could careless.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:51 PM

231 posts, read 401,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Newsflash, the only people that care about "native" "transplant" etc are city-data posters.

No one gives an eff in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Ding, ding, ding.

People who create multiple handles to obsess over this are pretty much the only ones who care.
I actually care. For me it's the attitude and the accent. I am more likely to want to be friends or patronize your business if you're from here..and if you have a foreign "non NYC" accent I am more likely to be rude to you honestly. I don't really like non-New Yorkers as people cause of what they've done to Manhattan, Brooklyn etc.
The label does stand for being tough, having an accent, being of a certain group of ethnicities.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:04 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
I actually care. For me it's the attitude and the accent. I am more likely to want to be friends or patronize your business if you're from here..and if you have a foreign "non NYC" accent I am more likely to be rude to you honestly. I don't really like non-New Yorkers as people cause of what they've done to Manhattan, Brooklyn etc.
The label does stand for being tough, having an accent, being of a certain group of ethnicities.
LOL most stores and small businesses are owned by immigrants. So where do you shop? What has the small business person done to NY except try to improve it. Just by them investing their money here means they want NY to succeed. Everyone's Great-great-grandparents had an accent.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 PM

231 posts, read 401,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
LOL most stores and small businesses are owned by immigrants. So where do you shop? What has the small business person done to NY except try to improve it. Just by them investing their money here means they want NY to succeed. Everyone's Great-great-grandparents had an accent.
I live on Staten Island, the vast majority of stores I shop at are owned by italian New Yorker white guys except for the Chinese restaurant. Immigrants are different IMO than people from Iowa who open up some crappy restaurant on Bedford Avenue or something. I have no issue with foreign immigrants but I just don't get along with gentrifier transplants. It's also fun to on the "Tony Soprano" accent on a crowded train and go up to an obvious transplant hipster girl and say "yo gimme your effin seat" and watch them run like a roach.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,248 times
Your "nonna" should go back to wherever she came from.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,248 times
I'm sure women are terrified of the little guy with the Staten Island accent telling them to give up their subway seat.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:25 PM

102 posts, read 145,864 times
I don't give a flying _ if you consider me a New Yorker or not. I've lived here longer than anywhere else in my life (12 years out of 42) and do consider myself a New Yorker now, I guess, not that it matters to me or anyone else I've ever met.

Fran Lebowitz not a New Yorker? Laughable. But if you really care about this it makes me think you are an insular, bubble-living, idiot. Maybe that is what a "real" New Yorker is? Just like the "hicks" down south that won't ever accept anyone as a southerner who was born outside of Dixie no matter how long they live there.

Having been forced to live in many places as a youth, and then voluntarily living quite a few on my own as an adult, I think I have a broader mind and don't care where someone is from. A lot of natives from a lot of places just never accept others outside of their bubble, and I'm fine with that. I wouldn't want to be around them anyway.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
I haven't been on this forum in about 2 years and this debate is still going....geez.

TLDR version:

Live here? New Yorker

Born & raised here? Native New Yorker

End of story.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Does Michael Jordan consider himself a New Yorker or a North Carolinian and or the late Tupac of death row records, does he consider himself a New Yorker or a Los angelenos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City