Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 65,562 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. None of the 3 buildings currently have 3 bedroom apts, but I saved the buildings on streeteasy. When we looked at River House, a super market was about 3 blo ks away. There was also easy street parking. It was walking distance from Wave Hill. Do you know anything about this building? Tangier's apt was lovely but the building seemed rundown. Any further suggestions, insights would be appreciate do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Also are there any areas or buildings I should avoid, other than Skyview? Again thanks.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM

279 posts, read 521,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra H View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. None of the 3 buildings currently have 3 bedroom apts, but I saved the buildings on streeteasy. When we looked at River House, a super market was about 3 blo ks away. There was also easy street parking. It was walking distance from Wave Hill. Do you know anything about this building? Tangier's apt was lovely but the building seemed rundown. Any further suggestions, insights would be appreciate do
Yes, the River House would be close to the supermarket in North Riverdale on Riverdale Avenue, but be forewarned.... It is highly overpriced, and you would be far better off driving to the Stop & Shop at Cross County in Yonkers. The Key Food down in Central Riverdale would be a better option for the basics, and that isn't saying much. The produce at both are of poor quality, and they don't seem to have any organic fruits or veggies that I know of if you are into that.

As for street parking, be forewarned. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Riverdale is extremely safe, in fact it has some of lowest crime rates in NYC, but because of its affluence, it is a target for car theft. This is why many residents prefer to park in a garage where possible. The Henry Hudson Parkway in certain spots is very woodsy and green, making it a prime target for thieves who can steal cars in areas that are poorly lit or where lighting is obscured by trees. The Parkway also makes it easy to get away, so I would be sure to study the area carefully if you do decide to do street parking, especially if it is close to easy get away areas. As for areas to avoid, all of Riverdale is safe, including the parts closer to Broadway. However, if you want property that will appreciate faster, I would avoid areas down the hill by Broadway. It doesn't have nearly the same character as parts of Riverdale up the hill, primarily because of the location, even with Van Cortlandt Park. The further away from the subway you are, the better.

I don't have much to say about the River House, but I do pass it on occasion when I go for walks over to Wave Hill to relax. If you plan of being a regular at Wave Hill, then that may be the location for you. They have a lot of events there during the week and on weekends as well. Unfortunately for me I don't go there often as I would like because of my busy schedule, but it is a great place to go for so many reasons. The question is what are your thoughts about it (The River House) in terms of amenities? It's located in a lovely area. You're right by the Estate area west of the Parkway, and the private landmarked area of Fieldston across the Parkway. If you don't mind driving to get around, it's perfectly fine. Of course I don't know much about the financials of the building, nor the co-op board, but if you're going to go that far west, you might as well go for it all if you're going to be driving.

I would recommend this:

2501 Palisade Avenue Riverdale, New York, United States

It is one of my favorite co-ops in all of Riverdale. It's down in Spuyten Duyvil, west of the parkway, along Palisade Avenue, and it offers beautiful views of the Hudson, the Palisades in NJ and NYC. Since you are looking for a 3 bedroom, I thought the above link may interest you. I always try to get a look at that building (or rather buildings, as there are two of them separated by the courtyard) when walking to the Metro-North station.

Villa Charlotte Brontë
2501 Palisade Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

There is also a fantastic condo just steps away from Villa Charlotte Brontë that is quite modern and offers stunning views as well:

La Rive Condominium
2521 Palisade Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

Both of these options would make for lovely areas to walk the dog or go for walks in general. They are not close to shopping by foot per se, but you have a car, so that wouldn't pose a problem.

Last edited by on the avenue; 05-11-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Debra H,

I hope the hunt has been going well for you. Have you considered any of the listings above? Here is another one you may consider since you are looking for three bedrooms:

This is a condo on Blackstone Avenue. It was build in 2004 with high-end finishes:

The Danielle
3800 Blackstone Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10471

The Danielle offers indoor parking, which I'm sure you would like.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Hi_ Good hearing from you. Charlotte Bronte is not for me. Too expensive. I'd like something w big bedrooms.Danielle bedroom are not too large. Glenbriar looked lovely. Do you know anything about this building?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Hi_ Good hearing from you. Charlotte Bronte is not for me. Too expensive. I'd like something w big bedrooms.Danielle bedroom are not too large. Glenbriar looked lovely. Do you know anything about this building?
The Glen Briar is a co-op, which is not too far from Charlotte Brontë down in Spuyten Duyvil.

While it isn't terribly far from the shopping strip on Knolls Crescent, I don't think you would want to be walking when running errands, as the area is rather hilly, so for most trips you will need the car. Here is the location:

The Glen Briar
750 Kappock Street
Riverdale, NY 10463

Pros:
-Right next to Henry Hudson Park, which will allow you to take the dog for nice walks and any little ones for a fun time in the park. Plenty of people like walking their dogs over there so you would certainly meet new people quickly, as Riverdalians are quite friendly.

-West of the Parkway, allowing for great views of the Hudson River, the Palisades, etc. depending on how high up you are.

-Lots of green space and tranquility, and you would have easy access to Wave Hill via Palisade Avenue, making for a 5 - 10 minute short drive

-Building Amenities:

-Doorman, live-in super, pet-friendly, bike room, attached garage and a fitness center. I don't know if there is a waiting list on parking or not, but it is something to look into. I also don't know if there is a pool, but I can tell you that you could always go to the indoor pool at the Whitehall which is a short 5 minute ride away by car. It's one of the premier buildings in Central Riverdale. Given what you're looking for, you may want to look at the Whitehall again if you're going to go so far away from the shopping center.

-From what I saw, the prices at The Glen Briar are reasonable, and the rooms should be bigger than what you saw when you looked at The Danielle since this is older construction (1953 to be exact).

-The maintenance may not be to your liking, but maintenance fees tend be high in most of Riverdale.

-Public transit (Metro-North, express buses and city buses) nearby at Henry Hudson Parkway West and Independence Avenue for anyone visiting that isn't driving.

Cons:

-Hilly area, which is not necessarily conducive to walking

-Spuyten Duyvil is sleepier than Central Riverdale and you have far fewer amenities up the hill on Knolls Crescent. All of the restaurants that are decent are in Central Riverdale along Johnson near 235th. From what I recall there is a Chase bank, a cleaners, a small supermarket and a few other stores. You have Post Office down the hill on Kappock Street, an Asian place that friends tell me is horrible (like eating cardboard) and a pizzeria that also doesn't get good reviews, so I would say for any real eating you would be spending time in Central Riverdale.

They also just opened a fantastic organic/kosher coffee shop in Central Riverdale right on Johnson Avenue that is quite enjoyable, giving you another option aside from Starbucks.

Last edited by on the avenue; 06-11-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info re Glen Briar. We haven't seen anything in White Hall..We heard their board is difficult to deal with. What do you consider the top 10 prime bldgs in Riverdale/ Spuyten Duyvil? The coffee shop sounds good. Is it Moss Cafe ( I googled it). Again, thanks

Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Yes, Moss Café. I am lucky enough to be able to live within walking distance to it... As for your other question, I think the prime buildings would have to be the following (in no particular order):

1. Hayden on the Hudson (condo, Riverdale)
4455 Douglas Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10471

2. The Whitehall (co-op, Central Riverdale)
3333 Henry Hudson Parkway
Riverdale, NY 10463
-It's known to be a bit "stuffy" if you will, so if the board is difficult to deal with, I could certainly see that being possible.

3. The Winston Churchill (co-op, Spuyten Duyvil)
2500 Johnson Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

4. La Rive (condo, Spuyten Duyvil)
2521 Palisade Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

5. Riverstone (condo, Central Riverdale)
3220 Arlington Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

6. The Glen Briar (co-op, Spuyten Duyvil)
750 Kappock Street
Riverdale, NY 10463

7. River Point Towers (co-op, Spuyten Duyvil)
555 Kappock Street
Riverdale, NY 10463

8. RiverPointe on the Hudson (condo, Spuyten Duyvil)
2287 Johnson Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

9. Hudson Towers (co-op, Riverdale)
3777 Independence Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

10. The Solaria (condo, Central Riverdale)
640 West 237th street
Riverdale, NY 10463

The Solaria could be debated in terms of construction quality, but it's certainly up there as being a building with the sort of amenities that you are seeking.

Have you considered any of the condos or co-ops on Johnson Avenue in Central Riverdale? The amenities won't be like the above listings, but you'll be steps from all of the shopping and restaurants and can still have some peace and quiet.

Last edited by on the avenue; 06-11-2015 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Thanks for your list. I haven't seen very much in the area you mentioned (Johnson in central Riverdale.) Will continue to look and spend more time in both areas.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your list. I haven't seen very much in the area you mentioned (Johnson in central Riverdale.) Will continue to look and spend more time in both areas.
There are a number of co-ops (and a few newer condos) all along Johnson that are actually quite charming. They just won't be as swank with doormen, etc., but they are certainly doable and reasonable considering how close you would be to the amenities. In fact there is a nice low-key condo that I've considered right on Johnson near West 236th street. It's relatively new but may be a bit pricey in terms of what you are looking for:

3614 Johnson Avenue
Riverdale, NY 10463

I think it's good for a younger person, but the size of the rooms may be small, and there is a lack of green space. The co-ops in the area do offer more green space and nicely manicured areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City